Stereo Amp/Power Supply

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

emperormax
Community Member
Community Member

Stereo Amp/Power Supply

Post by emperormax » Mon Oct 12, 2020 3:44 pm

Hi,

I want stereo sound on my machine and understand that I would need my own amplifier. I found this inexpensive one on Amazon, would this work?
"Bluetooth 5.0 Audio Amplifier/Receiver Board Stereo Sound TPA3116 Kits, 50W x2 DC 5-27V"
Or something as simple as this?
"! Hot Sale 12V Mini Hi-Fi PAM8610 Audio Stereo Amplifier Board 2X10W Dual Channel D Class Lowest Price"

The next question is, what kind of power supply comes with the raspberry Jamma? Is it a power brick that plugs into the wall, or do I need my own P/S?

Max

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Stereo Amp/Power Supply

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 12:19 am

RaspberryJAMMA just uses the cabs JAMMA power supply, I don't really recommend trying to use extra power supplies while it's plugged in via JAMMA.

That said if you are using an external amp you won't need the RJs onboard mono audio amp and therefore won't need 12v to the board. At that point you could power the system via a Pi power supply (assuming you don't have a JAMMA power supply hooked up - do not try to use 2 power supplies at once).

Any stereo amp you want to use that is matched to whatever speakers you're going to use and whatever power you plan to run the amp by should work. I wouldn't bother with bluetooth, it would be pretty pointless. If you're modding an existing cab you will want to check the specs of any existing speakers to match the amp.

Finally, a lot of older games don't actually have stereo sound anyway... depending on what you want to play you may never notice the difference from mono to stereo.

emperormax
Community Member
Community Member

Post by emperormax » Tue Oct 13, 2020 2:07 am

I guess I don't know anything about Jamma since I didn't know it had its own power supply. I'm planning to convert a cabinet for Jamma and bought a Jamma harness but I guess I need to buy a power supply as well. Any suggestions there?

The speakers in the cabinet are computer speakers, since the cabinet is currently set up to be run with a PC running MAME. I hacked some computer speakers and installed them in place of the speakers that were originally in the cabinet. I don't know how to figure out what amp would "match" the speakers. Do you mean the impedance?

I wanted stereo for certain games like Super Sprint.

EDIT: Never mind about the audio amp/speakers. I found a kit that includes the amp, p/s, speakers, cables, etc. Also, I guess I would just need a 5V p/s for the RPi, correct?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:33 am

you could use your hacked PC speakers, assuming they have an amp built into them. Normally computer speakers do. If you already ordered new stuff, nevermind...

If you don't need the JAMMA audio and don't already have a power supply and don't plan to use iother JAMMA boards just get a RPi power supply. They need a 5.1v 2.5A supply. A basic 5v phone charger won't work well and will limit the Pis performance (if it works at all).

If you want to run other JAMMA boards too get a JAMMA power supply.