New to Mame/arcade scene

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

Moonshine_GFT
Community Member
Community Member

New to Mame/arcade scene

Post by Moonshine_GFT » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:52 am

Hello folks!

I'm a gaijin living in Japan, and just purchased my first Candy Cab last year. I'm a console gamer interested in getting into arcade gaming, but original PCBs are crazy expensive. In the meantime I wanted to put a reliable multicade system into my Sega Blast City, and discovered the tantalizing Arpicade setup. Having little-to-no knowledge about raspberry Pis or arcade emulation, it was the promise of "plug-n-play" and glowing reviews that solidified my choice.

So, I got a JAMMA PCB adapter and a raspberry pi 3B+ to go with it, and a loaded card with 2795 Horizontal Games on it. After plugging it into my cab, it seemed to work well, but for some off reason, most of the classics run really slow, with choppy audio (and has a tiny lightning bolt in the top corner that doesn't go away). It plays DoDonPachi great, and with very little lag, but the classic Donkey Kong chugs along at nearly half speed and sounds awful.

I realize the cause could be a good many things, but can someone point me in the right direction? Please excuse if this is a serious noob question with an absurdly simple answer.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: New to Mame/arcade scene

Post by dee2eR » Sun Feb 24, 2019 10:44 pm

Your 5v is low. This is why you see the lightning bolt symbol, it's the Rpis low voltage/current warning.

Carefully, ideally while measuring the voltage at the JAMMA edge raise your 5v to around 5.1v, do not go higher than 5.2v (if the current drop from the cabs power wiring is so bad you need to go higher than 5.2 you will need to upgrade the power wires of the JAMMA harness - unless you've changed the wiring the wires in an older Jap candy cab should be fine, the new cheepy harness' are the ones with issues).

If you don't have a multimeter I strongly recommend you buy one. Reasonable ones can be had cheaply and they're invaluable in this hobby.

Moonshine_GFT
Community Member
Community Member

Re: New to Mame/arcade scene

Post by Moonshine_GFT » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:49 am

:D Wow, thanks! Yeah, I had a multi meter lying around. Put it up to 5.1 and everything runs great now.
Much obliged! :D