donkey kong sound, 1 button 2 uses? astro blaster supported?

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

fud
Community Member
Community Member

donkey kong sound, 1 button 2 uses? astro blaster supported?

Post by fud » Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Just got my arpicade, latest version.
I know this runs a few versions of mame. Donkey Kong seems to be running on an older version. The sound is kinda crackly, like the older mame. Same with DK3, Mr. Do and a host of others.
Shouldn't the latest version of the cpu handle a version of mame that will run these with good sound??

Also, Astro Blaster by Sega/Gremlin is not on my list of games. It should be able to run this shouldn't it??

I also noticed Space Invaders, Space Invaders Deluxe, Space Panic and Astro Invader do not have sound.
I've played them in mame before with sound. Files missing?

Also, one last thing that has me stumped. None of my controls work, joystick or pushbuttons until I hold down and keep holding down the two player start button. Could there be a conflict in the mame setting that would cause this to happen?? Thanks in advance!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: donkey kong sound, 1 button 2 uses? astro blaster supported?

Post by dee2eR » Sun Apr 28, 2019 11:06 pm

Sorry I don't know anything about how the SD card you have has been set up. What emulator are you using DK in?

Sounds like the invaders samples set is missing or which ever version of MAME you're using for Spacies isn't pointing at the samples properly. Which version of MAME are you running Spacies in?

The controls thing is weird. I don't think I've seen that happen before. I do not think that is a software issue. Is your player 2 start using a different signal return GND to the rest of the buttons? If so adjusting the dipswitches on the RaspberryJAMMA so 1 & 2 are on and 3&4 are off may help. Otherwise I can't think of a reason this would happen, could be worth trying a second Pi if you have one - I'm not sure.

EDIT re. samples I just had a look and the Spacies samples are included on ARpiCADE 3.84 vanilla release so either there's a config issue or you're not on the latest version. Not that the ARpiCADE version should matter for these issues.

fud
Community Member
Community Member

Post by fud » Sun May 05, 2019 7:14 am

sorry for the late reply. DK is in the 192 folder.
DK3 is in the 106 folder but crackles with the sound.

Not sure why, but DK3 will not run on any of the new versions.
If I put it in the 192 or 172 it tries to run and then goes back to the menu screen.

Trying to figure out what game runs best in a certain version.

Thank you

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 05, 2019 9:46 am

The newer MAME versions probably need a newer rom for DK3. Sometimes the roms are updated, some games seem to get new versions of the rom often some seem to use the same old roms in all versions of MAME. I think I figured out the fix for the sound of DK3 in AdvMAME (106) at some point but I can't offhand remember what it was now. If I happen to remember I'll post it in this thread.

Did you end up figuring out the input problem you were having?

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sun May 05, 2019 12:54 pm

As Dee2er informed me on a different post, 192 hasnt been used on the latest builds. What version are you running. All games you mentioned run fine on my system (3.84).

fud
Community Member
Community Member

Post by fud » Mon May 06, 2019 4:03 am

I'm using build 3.8.
I ordered it online preloaded and it's supposed to have the newest rpi 3B+ for speed.
Donkey Kong 3 is in the 106 folder and it definitely isn't perfect.
I do know the original pcb well though as I have owned the dedicated game before.

I finally got a 172 rom version for DK3 and it runs SLOW with messed up sounds still.

fud
Community Member
Community Member

Post by fud » Mon May 06, 2019 4:05 am

dee2eR wrote:
Sun May 05, 2019 9:46 am
The newer MAME versions probably need a newer rom for DK3. Sometimes the roms are updated, some games seem to get new versions of the rom often some seem to use the same old roms in all versions of MAME. I think I figured out the fix for the sound of DK3 in AdvMAME (106) at some point but I can't offhand remember what it was now. If I happen to remember I'll post it in this thread.

Did you end up figuring out the input problem you were having?
I never figured out the imput problem. The grounds were all good.
Since I had to hold down player 2 for all the buttons and joystick to work, I just put the wire from normally open to the normally closed switch. So it's like I'm holding the player 2 start down all the time. It doesn't affect anything but I sure wish I could have fixed it properly.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 07, 2019 12:04 am

The button one is a weird one, cannot think of why that would happen if all your buttons are grounded to the same place on the JAMMA edge.

I'll take a look at DK3 today and see if I can figure out what I did to it previously. It's annoying me that I can remember improving it in AdvMAME 106 but not what I did....