3-sided table.

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

aod
Community Member
Community Member

Re: 3-sided table.

Post by aod » Fri May 01, 2020 3:53 pm

aod wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:27 pm
That works great! So, on to the next thing I'd like to have on here. Vertical games only when in vertical mode and horizontal games only while in horizontal mode. So here is my line of thinking, if there is an easier or better way before I go down this path, please let me know.

Make 2 directories in /boot/romsAracde for mame-106-hori and mame-106-vert. Put horizontal roms in mame-106-hori and vertical in mame-106-vert.
In /boot/launchers/servMenu.sh, when it changes modes from horizontal to vertical or vice-versa, do a:

Code: Select all

if [ -d "/boot/romsArcade/mame-106-vert" ] && [ ! -d "/boot/romsArcade/mame-106-hori" ]
then
   mv /boot/romsArcade/mame-106 /boot/romsArcade/mame-106-hori
elif [ -d "/boot/romsArcade/mame-106-hori" ] && [ ! -d "/boot/romsArcade/mame-106-vert" ]
then
  mv /boot/romsArcade/mame-106 /boot/romsArcade/mame-106-vert
else
  echo "Something went horribly wrong!"
  exit
fi
That should put enough sanity checks in place to not rename to the wrong vert or hori directory. After doing that, when horizontal is selected, you simply mv /boot/romsArcade/mame-106-hori /boot/romsArcade/mame-106 and when vertical is selected you mv /boot/romsArcade/mame-106-vert /boot/romsArcade/mame-106.

This is a bit kludgy, I realize. I was really hoping I could do this by simply creating a symbolic link to one of the directories when starting that mode. IE: ln -s /boot/romsArcade/mame-106-hori /boot/romsArcade/mame-106 for horizontal and ln -s /boot/romsArcade/mame-106-vert /boot/romsArcade/mame-106 for vertical but as I sat and started putzing around I was quickly reminded that FAT filesystems do not support symbolic links. :(

So, again, am I on the right path here or is there an easier or a more accepted way to do this? Thanks so much!
Anybody?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 03, 2020 3:02 am

The idea should work but I haven't tried doing similar myself.

I think having mame106-vert etc. extra directories in with the other roms could mess with the existing rom scanner. Probably better to add the 2 new folders elsewhere eg. /boot/extra/mame-106-vert & /boot/extra/mame-106-hori so the romscanner doesn't see them.

Then change servMenu.sh so when you change to vertical the contents of /boot/romsArcade/mame-106 is deleted and the contents of mame-106-vert copied to /boot/romsArcade/mame-106.

The only other thing jumping to mind is you will need to use sudo to copy/delete/move files on /boot as it is not owned by the Pi user (because /boot is mounted before the user system starts up).

Make sure you have enough free space on /boot to be able to copy the roms around. Probably, you should be fine unless you're SD is close to full as MAME roms are generally pretty small files.

drewb0y
Observer
Observer

Post by drewb0y » Thu Aug 11, 2022 5:56 pm

Resurrecting an old topic here. To the original poster aod, have you managed to get your 3 sided cocktail table arpicade image the way you like it? I'm in the process of building one myself and am curious how you ended up. I'll be starting off with a vertical image with a vertical side scrolling theme. If it's possible I'd like to get an image of what you ended up with.