New to the system and having issues

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

New to the system and having issues

Post by jeffamay » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:33 pm

I have a custom built cabinet that i bought about 3 years ago. Two players with 6 buttons using jamma. Had issues with it and wanted to upgrade the system and games list so bought a RPI jamma board system from high score saves. I just got it in and plugged up the jamma(at least i think its jamma) to the board. Got micro usb for power, everything basically plug and played up. Powered it on the first time and gets to the main menu, randomly opened up a game, no sound at all at this point. I have a logitech amp that was built into this with two speakers that worked before without issue but so far no power on this, but not so worried on that currently.

bigger issue is that the arpicade keeps rebooting after a few seconds of coming up. no real rhyme or reason that i can find. I didnt hook up the previous kick harness because its 5 pin and the jamma rpi board looks to have a 6 pin connector so assuming for now that just means button 5/6 wont work. May have a dip switch issue that is causing the reboot. i really have no clue as i am not very knowledgeable on it. i was told i may have to completely rewire the cabinet but also told i shouldnt have to do that. any help is appreciated. attached some pics of the way it was before with my old system hook ups.
Attachments
4.jpg
4.jpg (89.65 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (83.88 KiB) Viewed 5661 times
2.jpg
2.jpg (54.77 KiB) Viewed 5661 times

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Re: New to the system and having issues

Post by jeffamay » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:35 pm

more pics
Attachments
9.jpg
9.jpg (101.04 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (100.93 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
5.jpg
5.jpg (122.33 KiB) Viewed 5659 times

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 03, 2020 11:03 pm

How is the RaspberryJAMMA hooked up?

You photos show a PC based multiboard that isn't truly a JAMMA board. It uses a JAMMA style harness but just as a connector for the controls. Please be aware that your cab is not really a JAMMA wired cab (it's close though).

The 5 pin kick header will need to be converted to the RaspberryJAMMA style to use it, do you happen to know how it's wired? 5 pin is an odd one, I'm guessing it's p1 & p2 b5 & b6 and one extra GND...

It's hard to tell in the photos but it looks like the cab has a PC power supply running the PC, is that also wired to the JAMMA edge? Normally in a JAMMA cab you would be powering the RaspberryJAMMA (and Pi) from the JAMMA edge, no need (or want) for a micro USB power supply. It's possible the power is the cause of your rebooting, hard to say not knowing more. Did the pC power supply power anything other than the PC?

If you are running a Pi3 from a USB power supply what is it rated? Pi3 will need 5.1v at about 2A. If powering the system via USB instead of the JAMMA edge the audio section of the RaspberryJAMMA won't work as it normally uses the 12v from the JAMMA edge, with external stereo speakers you probably don't need the mono JAMMA audio anyway.

Is the audio wire from the PC running to the Logitech speaker system? Is the speaker system powered? How? The RaspberryJAMMA will have been setup for mono JAMMA audio but you can get line level stereo out of it too, have you done anything about that? If so, what?

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:09 pm

everything looks hooked up based on the docs...just plugged up the jamma style connection....the 5v and 12v power on it is running to the power supply. this power supply powered up everything on the previous system. if i trace the kick harness there now it does go to button 5/6 on the p1 and p2 controls and assuming the 5th is a grnd as well or just terminated and not used at all. i can get some better pics of that if needed. as for the sound, i just took the line in that was hooked to the last system and hooked to the rpi line on that and didnt do anything else. newbie to this setup so may be messing up the whole thing...haha.

it does look like the current jamma harness but not quite jamma, should power it but maybe i am missing something on that as it definitely doesnt get any power until i put in the micro usb. it says its 5v but doesnt seem to be working correctly as it constantly is just rebooting over and over. i do have a buddy coming today with a volt meter so i can measure it and see what i am getting. for the kick harness, i bought the new system board with a kick harness, not sure how to hook it up though, should i just cut the wires on the current harness and connect them up to this new harness with just 4 wires, p1/p2 button 5/6 each?? i dont see any layout for how to hook that up? is the jamma, not really jamma, going to need a new jamma harness rewired to get it to work??? i will say the first boot up i did get in the menu and was able to control the menu with the joysticks and such....the buttons seemed a little different but not like they didnt work...so not sure if that is just a configuration update or the wiring itself...i am at a loss at this point as not a wiring expert so not sure what i should do next to get this up and running or just call it a loss and send this board back and try and find someone to fix the PCB setup.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:47 am

It should be possible to get it all working. The JAMMA harness you have now is close enough, it won't need major surgery to make it work.

If you haven't already done so, remove the USB power supply. You do not want to have 2 separate power supplies hooked up to the Pi at one time. If it won't power on from the JAMMA edge it is possible the fuse on the RaspberryJAMMA board has blown, it's worth checking it still has continuity across the fuse. It's also possible the PC style power supply is on the way out, after all wasn't the last system not working properly too? I'd recommend replacing it with a JAMMA style power supply rather than a PC style one as JAMMA supplies have adjustable 5v which is very useful when swapping boards in your cab. A PC supply will work, but is not ideal (game boards tend to use mainly 5v, PCs use mainly 12v), also any PC power supply that is super cheap is probably not that good anyway. I have a sneaking suspicion neither of the power supplies you're trying is up to snuff... not sure though.

On the audio front when you say you plugged the line into the RPi if you mean into the actual Pi that is why there's no sound... plug into the DAC (the HDMI to VGA bit) instead of the Pi and you should have stereo line output. I'm assuming here that the powered speakers are receiving power etc.

For now I wouldn't worry about the kick harness, no point re-wiring it if you're not sure you're going to keep this system. It's perfectly possible to test without b5 and b6. When (or if) you're ready you can wire the b5 and b6 wires to either the RaspberryJAMMA kick harness or the JAMMA edge (if you plan on using any original boards wire to the kick harness so they're not going to cause issues for true JAMMA games).

From what I have seen of those pre-built PC based systems you will be more happy running a Pi based system. The components and level of care put into the software of those PCs are not great quality.

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:22 pm

great info and i thought the same on the kick wiring...not worried on the buttons as of yet just because i cannot get it up and working yet anyway....

do you have any recommendations for a good power supply, rather it be a micro usb one that is known to work or a regular power supply that i could just cut the cords on the current jamma and wire to a new power supply??

do you think i should get the holland jamma harness and just rewire it up or do you think what i have currently will work without it once i get the power figured out?? Thanks.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:23 pm

I think you will be fine just making some adjustments to the harness you have.

This is the sort of power supply I'm talking about: https://na.suzohapp.com/products/power_ ... 80-0064-00 (doesn't have to be Happ brand but I recommend not getting the cheapest no name brand you can - you want a good quality power supply) EDIT: the linked supply is 110v, make sure whatever you get matches your local power system.

ANOTHER EDIT:
if you don't need the amplified JAMMA audio and don't plan to use the cab for otehr JAMMA boards you could also get away with just using an official RPi power supply, or other quality one like these: https://safetomatic.com/best-power-supp ... erry-pi-3/

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:22 pm

thanks for the update...i did get a power option ordered that should be in monday....for now i am going to hope that the only issue i have is the power at this point and this will hopefully resolve that and then i will just have to get the kick harness setup for the other buttons after all else is checked and validated, hopefully!!

jeffamay
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jeffamay » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:42 pm

ok, for an updated...once i got the power ordered plugged it up, set to 5V for the micro usb adapter and off we went...everything working great for the most part.....

any quick and dirty ways to wire up the kick harness i mentioned before to get my buttons 5/6 on p1 and p2 to get working??? i did buy the kick harness cable and looks like the kick harness now doesnt fit as mentioned..is it simple and hooking them up how they are now and plugging it up or any how to you tube videos or some docs laying around??