Jamma Harness to Controller (Diagnostic Possible?)

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

GeraldAuger
Community Member
Community Member

Jamma Harness to Controller (Diagnostic Possible?)

Post by GeraldAuger » Sat May 30, 2020 2:20 am

I got my PiJamma on 5/28/2020. RaspPi3+;
Running it on a Capcom v. SF cabinet (classic StreetFighter 2 6 button layout, joystick, 1p,2p buttons)
I have used this cabinet in the past with a different board (not RaspPi type) and successfully run Mame (and used my joystick/controls) This was about 7 years ago.

I have plugged the PiJamma in. The cabinet turns on, boots up to ARpiCade. With a keyboard I'm able to navigate around and play a game. Tested an NES and a Mame game.

My cabinet controls (joysticks, buttons) are not responsive. I'm unable to determine if its a faulty wiring, bad config (i.e. no mapping), or what. From a troubleshooting perspective, is there a diagnostic tool or technique to verify the inputs from the button/joystick are being received over the harness to the board? At least I could confirm the wiring harness and grounding is correct and begin to look in software.

I've checked the wiring there is no obvious wear/tear or not connected parts of the harness.
Its frustrating.

Thanks in advance.
Gerry

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Jamma Harness to Controller (Diagnostic Possible?)

Post by dee2eR » Sat May 30, 2020 2:57 am

ARpiCADE is intended for use with the RaspberryJAMMA, PiJAMMA is not actually supported (don't think I'm familiar with that one...).

If you do have a RaspberryJAMMA and just mistyped, try turning dipswitch 1 and 2 ON and 3 and 4 OFF, if you have all dipswitches OFF the buttons may not be wired to GND as Capcom often used pins 27/e for the button GNDs in their cabs.

GeraldAuger
Community Member
Community Member

Post by GeraldAuger » Sat May 30, 2020 11:38 pm

You're right, RaspberryJAMMA. Bought it from HighScoreSaves last week.

I have dipswitches 1,2 on; 3,4 off. I'll double check the 27/e.

None of the buttons or joysticks work. Is there any input diagnostics software in ARpiCade or something, just so I'm not testing in a game?

Thanks for helping me out.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 31, 2020 1:49 am

From the command line (exit all menus with 'f4') you can run
jstest /dev/input/js0
to see all of P1 inputs, they will react when you use them so checking real time is possible. use js1 for p2, js2 for p3 and js3 for p4 (ignore js4 it's a virtual input that's part of the hotkeys system).

when you're finished you can type
sudo reboot
to return to the menu.

GeraldAuger
Community Member
Community Member

Post by GeraldAuger » Sun May 31, 2020 3:26 pm

Exactly what I'm looking for. Thanks so much. Will give it a shot later today.

GeraldAuger
Community Member
Community Member

Post by GeraldAuger » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:14 am

I'm fully up and running. The JStest was a huge benefit. Ultimately the problem was I misunderstood what was 'on' and 'off' for the dipswitches. I had them backwards (1,2 off, 3,4 on). Once I switched them the entire controller interface worked.

Thanks for the support.