Buttons 4,5 and 6 not working

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

stealthy84
Community Member
Community Member

Buttons 4,5 and 6 not working

Post by stealthy84 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:26 am

Hi Guys,

I've just got my control panel with 6 buttons each for both players, but I can't seem to get buttons 4, 5 and 6 working. My control panel is all wired up and has three molexes. One for player one, one for player two and one for the kick harness with GNDs. They are all connected to the control panel area.

I tried connecting the spades on the RJ harness from the adaptor straight to buttons 4, 5 and 6 (while piggy backing on the gnds already connected there, but they aren't working even after flipping the dip switch. My guess is that the GNDs on 4, 5 and 6 are not connected properly. This could be because the kick harness molex on the bottom of the cab near the jamma is not connected as that was meant to go to the kick harness on the PCB.

So now I feel a bit stuck and am left wondering what are my options? If anyone have any suggestions or can offer help I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Kind regards,

stealthy84
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Buttons 4,5 and 6 not working

Post by stealthy84 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 12:30 am

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:04 am

With the RJ kick harness going straight to the buttons all you will need to do is join the kick button GNDs to the other button GNDs. Essentially you just want all the button GNDs daisy chained together.

It sounds like at the moment you have the GNDs connected by the old, no longer connected, kick harness.

stealthy84
Community Member
Community Member

Post by stealthy84 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:36 am

Thanks mate I have also sent an email explaining my situation as my wires are daisy chained in such a way that if I piggy back from the top, then I will probably have a nonworking player two.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:02 am

Just posted on Aussie Arcade :)

As mentioned, the reason your buttons 4, 5, and 6 are not working is because there are no grounds.

Wiring the kick harness on a sega astro city is through to the 10pin connector on the control panel. This 10 pin is not wired anywhere and does not get any ground except for when you connect it to a ground at the bottom.

The issue with the RJ is there is no ground from the header, so you need to get ground from somewhere and connect it to pin 4 and 8 of the astro city pass through connnector - you'll notice there's nothing wired to pin 4 and 8 on my connector. The reason being is I piggy backed buttons 4, 5 and 6 to a ground on buttons 1, 2 or 3.

I don't use the RJ any longer, but it's always nice to have the GND's coming from the board so, I would personally find a ground point on the RJ and solder a wire to split it up and connect to pin 4 and 8 of the harness. This way, every time you plug in that harness, you will have grounds - no mucking around with wiring of the control panel.

Hope that makes sense.

stealthy84
Community Member
Community Member

Post by stealthy84 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:41 am

Hey guys so I have been emailing Dylan and I finally managed to get it to work thanks to his help. Basically, I needed to insert a wire and cut off both ends to act as a bridge. I put one end on a punch button and the other one a kick button and it worked. So happy. Now everything is more or less complete!

stealthy84
Community Member
Community Member

Post by stealthy84 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:42 am

Thanks again to everyone I spoke with and who have helped me.

stealthy84
Community Member
Community Member

Post by stealthy84 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 6:45 am

Also Dylan is an amazing bloke who really goes all out in helping out his customers.