Arpicade boots to blank(dark) screen

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

hawkx
Community Member
Community Member

Arpicade boots to blank(dark) screen

Post by hawkx » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:51 pm

Hi to all! I've just got my RaspberryJAMMA adapter running Arpicade!
Unfortunately, apparently the attract mode is not running properly, hence I can't run any game. Here's the write up of what's happening:
* The DIP switchs are set to Regular JAMMA Mode (1&2 On, 3&4 Off).
* Connected the RPIJAMMA to the JAMMA adapter of my cabinet.
* Turn on the cabinet (Capcom Impress)
- The cabinet has defective B 4-6 for P1 and P2, I will change them in the future. Hence the regular JAMMA Mode.
* I see the ARPICADE boot screen, then I see a LOADING message.
* Then I am dropped to a "Configure Screen" I can move out parameters there. I did not changed anything and left it as default.
- I would dare to say that the attract mode didn't load correctly so I was sent to that menu or that is the predefined behavior.
* I then select "back" on the menu. It is important to note that I am using the P1 joystick and pressing P1 B1 to select this option.
* After that, the screen stays blank (dark) no sound, no nothing.
* If I press the P1 button 1 or 2 the only thing I get is the prompt to get out of attract mode. Yes/No
* If I do yes, I am taken to another menu where I can change the resolution.
* I've changed the resolution to low res horizontal and 240 horizontal and the same behavior.
* On this menu, I've been able to see the Color bars and other options. I actually did the console game re-scan and it ran correctly.
* For sanity, I do on this menu the shutdown or reboot.
Beyond that, I can't do anything else.
* Additional note: I am running a full clone created by win32diskimager and written with balena etcher to an exact same 64GB SD card as I received from the HighScoreSaves store.

I would dare to say is a very simple rookie mistake. Any help would be really appreciated!
Regards,
David.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Arpicade boots to blank(dark) screen

Post by dee2eR » Mon Aug 31, 2020 12:43 am

Not sure what went wrong (or how) but it sounds like the first instance of Attract-Mode (the one that lets you pick a game) isn't starting up or is running without a picture for some reason.

Probably the best thing to do is try re-imaging the SD card.

hawkx
Community Member
Community Member

Post by hawkx » Mon Aug 31, 2020 4:02 pm

Thanks a lot for the quick reply dee2eR!
Yes, I booted from the original SD card and it worked! It appears the image I did wasn't created properly. Any recommended tool to do and write the backup image?
Regards,
David Ramírez Joya.

hawkx
Community Member
Community Member

Post by hawkx » Mon Aug 31, 2020 9:51 pm

Well, thanks again for dee2eR answer. I solved the problem.
As mentioned earlier the original SD card that came with the ArpicadeJAMMA works perfectly. I did a raw image of it using win32diskimager available at:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/
I simply used the "Read" command from the program menu over the first volume, it reads the whole device by default.
After that, I wrote the image to an identical SD card. The problem is that after the image was created, due to the fact that windows creates library directories on it, it modifies the USB disk structure.
On the win32diskimager help I found that the problem has an easy fix:
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/prevent- ... folder-usb
Once you do this, on your windows 10 PC, it won't create these directories at all. With that, I was able to write the memory from the original image and then verify it as identical as the source.
With that, the Attract mode was able to run perfectly! Now I have a fully functional ArpicadeJAMMA on a RPI! :-D
Now, back to replacing the old buttons and cabling, that is a conversation for another day! :D
Regards

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Sep 01, 2020 1:53 am

I'm glad you found the solution. I don't use Windows much so it wouldn't have been obvious to me. Thanks for posting the solution for others too.