Newb Questions, Nintendo Red Tent Conversion

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

tsskinne
Observer
Observer

Newb Questions, Nintendo Red Tent Conversion

Post by tsskinne » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Tommy and I'm completely new to the arcade scene. I've been heavily involved with pinball for the last decade basically and collect and restore those machines, but when it comes to arcades I know very little.

I was recently gifted a Nintendo Red Tent from a friend. The cabinet was at one point converted to a Jamma harness and was running a TMNT board. He bought the thing cheap at auction and eventually sold off the TMNT board. I was given the remains.

My idea is to ideally run the RaspberryJamma in the machine.

1. I guess my first questions is really will this work?
2. If it will work I know I'm basically limited to games that feature 2 button setups, could I get some advice and tips on what games would be good to run on the cabinet? He has already installed de-cased PC monitors, not LCD, and an inverter board so I think I'm good to go on that end. Anyway, nice to meet everyone, and I appreciate any help I can get as I take on this process.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Newb Questions, Nintendo Red Tent Conversion

Post by dee2eR » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:46 am

The RaspberryJAMMA should work fine in that setup. If you're using a PC monitor you will want the software set up for high res use.

There are stacks of 0/1/2 buttons games you could play. Many SHMUPs use 1 fire 1 bomb, most platformers use 1 attack, 1 jump. Lots of (maybe most) 80s games used 2 buttons or less. 2 button classics include: 1942, Bubble Bobble, Gauntlet, Wonderboy and TMNT.