Stereo Amp/Power Supply

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

emperormax
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Stereo Amp/Power Supply

Post by emperormax » Fri Nov 27, 2020 9:05 am

I don't know how to tell what emulator anything is running in. Except Millipede which says "Advanced MAME" at the top of the menu. The centipede menu is blank.
arpicade_centipede_1.jpg
arpicade_centipede_1.jpg (35.42 KiB) Viewed 3065 times
On Xevious, I went to the menu and tried various video options but each one was worse than what I was getting in "Auto".

On trackball games like Missile Command and Marble Madness, I tried the menu options for "Input General" and "Input This Game" and I couldn't figure anything out. I don't know how to get to file explorer. I looked at the thread you pointed to but I don't know how to get to something like that.

Max

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Nov 28, 2020 12:08 am

There are 2 very easy ways to tell where a game is running. While the system is running and the game highlighted in the menu you can press 'e' on a keyboard for the edit menu which has that info. Alternately, while the SD card is plugged into your PC you can just look at the folders the roms are in.

The blank menu you saw in Centipede should be able to be improved using the updated launchers I posted for MAME 172 and 203 yesterday in the ARpiCADE 3.X and ARpiCADE 4.2 software release threads.

The Midnight Commander file browser is available from the service menu, although it's probably not what you want.

I suggest you try one thing at a time for now. Trying to troubleshoot a bunch of different issues in diff emulators at once could get confusing (for both of us) quickly. Each MAME version has it's own config and quirks... In Millepede in AdvanceMAME is the trackball working correctly? Or is it only working on up/down axis? In the MAME menu is there a difference in the setup of up/down and left/right? I would imagine if it's half working there's something simple causing the issue. (it's possible configs have just been adjusted to make the games playable on joysticks by default... it's hard for me to be sure without having it in front of me - if you've started with a pre-built image I don't even know which version of ARpiCADE you're using...).

If it's not able to be configured in the menu it may be a device order issue (as it was in the other post I linked). If so you may need to edit one or more config files (as was the case in the other thread), which can be done on the Pi. I can help you with that if it comes to it.

By the way, if you haven't already backed up the SD card I would do that before doing any more config/fiddling just in case anything goes wrong - having a backup image makes restoring very easy if a typo breaks a config file or some other thing goes awry with the software.

emperormax
Community Member
Community Member

Post by emperormax » Sat Nov 28, 2020 3:20 am

In Millipede, as in every trackball game I've tried so far, the trackball only works on the vertical axis.

I invite you to come to America to look at it in person.

I'll have to get a micro SD card reader for my PC I guess.

Max

emperormax
Community Member
Community Member

Post by emperormax » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:28 am

Just tried what you suggested, pressing 'e' while the game is highlighed in the menu. All that did was turn the entire menu screen 90 degrees to the left (as if the screen were mounted vertically). And no edit menu appeared.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:01 am

you must have a bit of an older version of ARpiCADE, 'e' in the menu has been edit for a little while now (can't remember offhand when I changed it). Sorry to send you down the garden path there...

I just tried Millipede in AdvMAME on ARpiCADE 3.X with trackball and it worked out of the box. There must be either a config difference between whatever version you have and 3.X or a hardware issue.

If you haven't tried already have a quick look in the controls for this game section of the AdvMAME menu while Millepede is running to see if there's a difference in the way up and down are set up compared to left and right. I can't think of what else it could be to have half the trackball working (assuming the trackball hardware is working fine) so hopefully it can be fixed in this menu.

It may be worth plugging your trackball into your PC to see if it is working correctly too, just in case. If you haven't tried it before it should act as a mouse when you plug it in to a desktop so it will be obvious if it is only working up/down.

I would love to be able to just drop in to America and come over and trouble shoot, haven't been there in 35 years... America I mean, not your house... lol

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:14 am

What trackball are you using? I want to buy one to try out, but not sure what exactly works out of the box.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:54 pm

Happ(? I think), arcade standard trackball + OptiWiz optical to USB encoder. OptiPAC is also reported as working but I've never tried one.

Anything that conforms to USB HID standards (ie. doesn't use a custom driver to make it work) should work. It's just a USB mouse to the Pi.