Copying ROMs to ArpiCADE

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

mike75vette
Community Member
Community Member

Copying ROMs to ArpiCADE

Post by mike75vette » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:34 am

I know that I can copy ROMs to the boot partition using a Windows PC with the SD card inserted.
I'm trying to copy ROMs over the network when the SD card is in the ARpiCADE.
I connect with WinSCP and can browse the directories just fine. I get to the ArcadeROMs folder and try to upload ROMs into that directory, but I get Permission Denied. Is there a way to copy ROMs over the network into the ArcadeROMs or ConsoleROMs folder ?
(I tried to change the folder permissions with 'chmod' but that didn't help).

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Copying ROMs to ArpiCADE

Post by dee2eR » Sun Apr 18, 2021 3:53 am

You will need to copy the roms with administrator privledges. While running on the Pi /boot is mounted prior to the user system starting up (have to get the Pi and the Linux kernel up and running before we can have a user...) so everything in /boot is owned by admin/root when it's part of the active Linux system.

I'm not a Windows (or WiFi, mostly) guy but I think if you run WinSCP as administrator it should work. Hopefully this isn't terrible advice, I don't normally recommend running software as admin when I don't know it's safe (prob is in this case, I suspect).

When the SD card is plugged into a running computer it's mounted by the user so you can write to it without permissions issues.

mike75vette
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Copying ROMs to ArpiCADE

Post by mike75vette » Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:56 pm

Running WinSCP as admin didn't work. I tried making the pi user into an admin, but that didn't work either. No big deal. I was just trying to avoid taking the SD card in and out every time I wanted to add/remove anything. Thanks anyway :)