Problem with screen rotation.

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

Meatpie
Community Member
Community Member

Problem with screen rotation.

Post by Meatpie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 am

Hi I'm brand new to all this and have just acquired a 4 player arcade machine table. The trouble I am having is that I want to play the games on the side with 2 players side by side but when I rotate the screen using the service menu it stops working when I start up the game. There is a message saying "not optimal resolution", there's sound and the game seems to be working just not on the monitor. Any suggestions would be much appreciated and like I said I am very new to this. Thanks.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Problem with screen rotation.

Post by dee2eR » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:29 am

Sounds like you're on a high res monitor.

Whichh version of ARpiCADE are you using and which exact option did you use to rotate the picture? Sounds like you've accidentally swapped to low res...

Meatpie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Meatpie » Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:40 pm

Thanks for the reply.
I used the option in th service menu. Display horizontal low res. Which is what I got from reading the FAQ. It works when I choose the vertical option just not the horizontal. Not sure on the version trying to find out.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:38 am

It's definately slightly older, as the current version has rotation and resolution separated in the menu options (to help avoid this happening....).

Assuming you have a high res monitor (which I assume due to you saying it displays a message onscreen when the signal is out of range, I could be wrong) selecting high res horizontal may fix it (assuming you can see the picture to select it).

If you can't see the picture at all to use the service menu it should be fixable in config.txt but without knowing the version you have I can't tell you exactly how. It should be easy enough if you check the file, look for the resolution options - it's probably on 480i comment out whatever the current setting is and uncomment the high res setting. Be careful editing config.txt as any typos can have unexpected consequences. You may want to back the file up first, then again it sounds like your current copy isn't working for you at the moment...

If you plan to semi regularly rotate the setup for different games you may want to update to the latest ARpiCADE (3.X), as I noted previously it has the rotation option in the service menu as it's own option so won't change the resolution if you change rotation.

Oh, and if you haven't already done so make a backup image of the whole SD card just in case anything goes wrong again or you make a change you don't like etc. you can restore it to working if you have a backup image.

I hope that helps.

Meatpie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Meatpie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Hi I have version 3.7.

Meatpie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Meatpie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:06 pm

Can I update to the latest version would this help make it easier?

Meatpie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Meatpie » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:08 pm

Also I don't know if I mentioned this but it runs fine on set to vertical low res just not horizontal.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:55 pm

3.7 is very very old. Probably best to upgrade to 3.X. You will need to overwrite your SD card so if you haven't already copy your roms and previews to you PC so you can copy them to the new version of the software (once you have it on SD card).