Just purchased Arpicade and nothing comes on at all

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Just purchased Arpicade and nothing comes on at all

Post by theDeezer » Sat May 22, 2021 11:02 pm

Just purchased Arpicade to replace a Pandora's box 4 in my cabinet. I've got everything installed correctly as far as I can tell - but when I turn on the power the red light on the Pi comes on - and that's it. My VGA monitor goes immediately into power save mode. I tried it with an HDMI connection to a newer monitor as well and the same thing happens. I checked the video output settings in config and it's set to hdmi_mode=1 which in my understanding should work with my LCD. Is there something else I can try to get anything going? Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Just purchased Arpicade and nothing comes on at all

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 23, 2021 2:50 am

Sounds like your Pi isn't booting at all. Usually this is caused by a software issue of one sort or another.

What Pi are you using? What software are you using?

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Sun May 23, 2021 4:59 pm

I bought this setup pre-imaged from HSS. What's the best way to see what version I'm running? (sorry total newbie here). This is running on a Pi 3B+.

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Sun May 23, 2021 7:15 pm

As an experiment I bought a new SD card and imaged it with the latest version - 3.7 - still the same result. Red light on the Pi comes on as well as the monitor. The monitor immediately goes in to power save mode.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 23, 2021 11:34 pm

Yeah, 3.7 is around 5 years old I think... Far from the latest version. 3.7 pre-dates the Pi3B+ so definately won't boot on it.

The USER_GUIDE folder may have version info in it. It could be wrong though as sometimes I forget to update the version number. Also if it's been supplied pre-built by someone the version number may not mean much anyway depending on whats been done to it...

The newest is ARpiCADE 3.x.1

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Mon May 24, 2021 3:08 am

Ah ok. I was just going by the downloads page on the website. I’ll try that version and see if that gets me anywhere. Thanks.

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Mon May 24, 2021 5:25 pm

I made a fresh image of 3.X and still the same thing happens.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 25, 2021 1:27 am

What, if anything, are you doing to the software? If you're only seeing the red light on the Pi and not a flickering green one as well the Pi is not booting. If you do see a flickering green led then the Pi is booting and the issue is something else...

3.X as released will definately boot, or I would have hundreds of reports of issues with it. I'm also under the impression HSS tests anything they send out prior to sending, so possibly there's a step you're taking causing this behaviour(?).

If it is booting and not communicating with your monitor how is it hooked up to the monitor?

I'm sure we can figure this out, just not sure what is currently happening (or why).

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Tue May 25, 2021 1:54 am

Thanks so much for your patience on this. My exact routine when the entire kit came in the mail was this:

1 - set the dip switches for 6 button
2 - unplugged the VGA and Jamma cable from the Pandora’s box
3 - plugged the Jamma and VGA into the ArPi
4 - turned on the power to the cabinet

That’s basically everything. At this point I assumed everything would boot right up - but I kee getting stuck with a single red light on the Pi and no green activity at all.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 25, 2021 2:01 am

what about software wise? Did you order it setup for high res or adjust it yourself? If you set it for high res yourself how did you go about doing that?