Just purchased Arpicade and nothing comes on at all

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Just purchased Arpicade and nothing comes on at all

Post by theDeezer » Tue May 25, 2021 2:07 am

I ordered it as hi res. Made sure to get the LCD/LED option pre-installed. I didn’t make any changes to it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 25, 2021 2:26 am

what about 3.X? same no changes made?
What is your 5v measuring at the JAMMA edge while the RaspberryJAMMA is plugged in?

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Tue May 25, 2021 2:30 am

The only change I made to 3.X was changing the hdmi mode to 1. I don’t have a way to measure the output at this point from the power supply. I had just assumed that the power draw would be about the same as the Pandora.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 25, 2021 2:42 am

All arcade game boards have slightly difference power draws etc. adjusting the cabs power supply when changing a board is standard practice to account for the differences. But, I wouldn't recommend adjusting the power blind. It's worth picking up a multimeter in the longterm, they're invaluable in this hobby - even a cheapy.

Any chance you have a RPi power supply handy? Or a phone/tablet charger can work. Ideally something rated for 5.1v and 2A to 2.5A. If so you could try testing the board outside of the cab to see if the cab power supply is part of the issue (I'm far from sure it is, we know power is getting to the Pi or there wouldn't be a red LED lighting up).

Did you supply the Pi or was it part of the package? If it hasn't been tested before it is possible the Pi itself is the problem. Again though, RPis are pretty reliable things and of the hundreds I've seen personally only a tiny few have ever had any issues out of the box (less than 1% total, I'm sure).

EDIT: when you changed 3.X to mode 1 you also commented out the mode 6 line, right?

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Tue May 25, 2021 2:52 am

So while you were typing that I tested the power directly with a standard micro USB cable and an in-wall usb power supply. The red light came on and immediately I got the green activity light which I assume means everything was booting as normal. Now I guess I have to determine why I’m not getting the proper amount of power to the Jamma connection in my cabinet.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 25, 2021 3:45 am

It's possible (maybe even probable) that all you need is to adjust the 5v on the power supply, but I suggest you don't do that without any way to read the power at the JAMMA edge/gameboard - you don't want to do any damage by accidentally turning it up too far. Get a multimeter, even a cheap one - may as well get one with continuity testing as that can be very useful too, some don't have it (most seem to).

Once you have a way to read the voltage you will want to adjust it so there's about 5.1v at the JAMMA edge as Pi3s (and Pi4s) like 5.1v rather than 5v.

It's also possible the power wiring in your JAMMA harness is part of the issue. A lot of the cheap new JAMMA harness' have entirely inadequate power wiring (one thin alumininium wire in a thickish insulation to make it look thicker than it is) if you hope to run much more than a 60in1 or Pandora - usually you can just get away with it on Pi3 but you will end up with the power supply turned up further than it would be if the harness was better). If you only have one 5v wire from the harness to the power supply you may want to add some more wire for 5v and GND to your harness. (Older cabs usually had great harness' with high quality copper wire and four 5v connections and plenty of GNDs, this will definately not be part of the issue with a good harness). If you are not sure post a photo of your harness, but like I said you should probably be able to make whatever it is work for a Pi3.

As a temporary workaround you could disconnect the JAMMA harness 5v from the power supply (leave the 12v for the audio section of the RaspberryJAMMA), then use your USB power supply to supply the 5v via the Pi (the Pi will end up powering the 5v section of the RaspberryJAMMA board, which will work but most of that is the low res video section anyway). Whatever you do, DO NOT connect two different 5v sources at once. With the 5v disconnected the cabs power supply will be doing very little, the 12v draw is not much at all (it varies with volume level and board component tolerances), depending on the power supply it may not like being used like that but it should be OK temporarily.

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Tue May 25, 2021 4:02 am

Here’s a link to a pic of my current power supply setup:

http://bryandease.com/uploads/IMG_7949.jpg
http://bryandease.com/uploads/IMG_7948.jpg
Last edited by theDeezer on Tue May 25, 2021 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Tue May 25, 2021 4:03 am

I was able to hook up the Pi to an HDMI monitor while it was powered by the wall plug and I did get the Arpicade logo. So this is definitely the issue.

theDeezer
Community Member
Community Member

Post by theDeezer » Wed May 26, 2021 3:42 pm

Also - when you said "f you only have one 5v wire from the harness to the power supply you may want to add some more wire for 5v and GND to your harness." I have seen that on a couple of other posts. How would I go about doing that exactly? That may very well be my problem. I was able to test the voltage at the jamma connector and I have it dialed in to a solid 5.1v. Still seems like the Pi isn't getting the right amount.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu May 27, 2021 1:28 am

I've taken a photo of my test bench harness, hopefully it makes it clearer. My test bench harness started life as a cheapy but has been upgraded from 1 wire for 5v and 2 wire for GND, to having 3x 5v wires and 4x GND wires to the power supply. I used extra cheap harness power wires I had lying around, it would be better to use high quality wire but with 3x the original wire it works well for Pi4 now. As you supply only has 1 GND wire you may want to add 3 more GNDs, as GND is shared by both 5v and 12v it is probably the biggest limiter in your harness at the moment.
powerwireupgrade.JPG
powerwireupgrade.JPG (135.07 KiB) Viewed 3381 times
To do this I just soldered more wires to the JAMMA edge connector, as you can see in the photo. You will need to remove the insulation, I'd recommend replacing it again when finished just to be safe. If you have heat shrink insulation make sure you remember to slide it over the wires prior to soldering (or you will feel a bit silly when you go to put it on and realise it needed to be done first), electrical tape will also work (you can see I used a combo as a GND wire broke in my harness after doing this mod... my harness has been plugged and unplugged 1000s of times over the years, some of the wires have been fatigued from the repeated flexing - I have a better harness ready to go into the test bench but don't seem to get around to replacing it...). Be very carefull you do not accidentally combine 5v and GND (or any other combo of different voltages) while modifying the power wiring, you don't want to make a short circut.

At the power supply end the three 5v wires are twisted together and connected to the power suply 5v (I'm using an adjustable work bench power supply so the attachment is different to a standard JAMMA supply, so I didn't show it), the four GND wires are twisted together and attached to the power supply GND.

When you measured the power at the JAMMA edge you had the board plugged in, right? If not you need to measure it while the board is plugged in to account for the board.

You may find with a Pi3 you can turn up the 5v a little more to compensate for the 1 aluminium wire but do not go past 5.2v at the JAMMA edge, if you get to 5.18v at the JAMMA edge and it still doesn't work I wouldn't turn it up any higher... Is the Pi now booting at all with 5.1v at the JAMMA board edge?