Washed Out Display and Trackball not working

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Washed Out Display and Trackball not working

Post by slinghit » Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:59 pm

Newbie and having issues.

When I view most of the arcade games they are washed out. I have lowered my monitor brightness all the way with very limited improvement. How do I change Emulator settings for this. I know how to program buttons and joystick, is it similar to this? I have things wired CGA to a Wells-Gardner 19" CGA LED/LCD monitor.

Similar issue, my trackball is not being seen so I assume I need to change Emulator setting for this as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Washed Out Display and Trackball not working

Post by dee2eR » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:51 am

I asked in the other thread but does the trackball work in the game selection menu at all?
If not, it's worth exiting all menus with F4 and at the command line running the command 'lsusb' to see if the trackball is being detected at all by Linux. Use the command 'sudo reboot' when you're finished on the command line.
If it is working in the menu it is almost definately just emulator settings and we will be able to figure that out.

I'm not familar with any low res LCD monitors. It's possible if the brightness is always too high that the monitor doesn't like the amplified RGB signal (I would imagine a monitor designed for arcade games would be fine with it though). If the monitor has a VGA input it may be worth trying the VGA ouptut of the DAC directly to the monitor (using a VGA cable) to bypass the RGB amp. If it's just some games it's probably emulators settings or perhapps a particular resolution that is the issue.

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Tue Sep 28, 2021 3:06 am

Thank you. I will try!!

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Mon Oct 04, 2021 2:30 am

A few days ago, I tried F4 and low resolution and hit return. My monitor through CGA has not worked since. I put a HDMI monitor directly to the Raspberry Pi 3+ and everything is clear, Asteroids/Battlezone was full screen and worked. I tried hitting return on Low Res again, nothing on CGA. I tried High Res, nothing on CGA.

I hate to be a bother but I really want this to work for me.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks Jay

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:17 am

Seems you're going backwards... not sure why though. Very confusing, did you start with it in low res or high res mode?

Can you post photos of your setup? Not sure if it will help but maybe I'll see something... Ideally both the monitor connections and game board connections.

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:03 pm

I have attached three images showing the back of my monitor, my RiddledTV 6 in 1 JAMMA Switcher and Arpicade. I have plugged the Arpicade directly to the JAMMA bypassing the Switcher and have the same issues. When I am using the switcher my original Missile Command PCB and my JROK Williams board works fine. The Arpicade was washed out on the monitor.

I will add a second post with more pictures. Tonight I can get more pictures if you want to see something specific.

Thanks Jay
Attachments
IMG_1086.jpg
IMG_1086.jpg (104.6 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
IMG_1085.jpg
IMG_1085.jpg (86.52 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
IMG_1084.jpg
IMG_1084.jpg (48.2 KiB) Viewed 5802 times

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:04 pm

More pictures.

Thanks Jay
Attachments
IMG_1082.jpg
IMG_1082.jpg (63.75 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
IMG_1081.jpg
IMG_1081.jpg (63 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
IMG_1080.jpg
IMG_1080.jpg (61.03 KiB) Viewed 5802 times

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Tue Oct 05, 2021 4:05 pm

Last set,

Jay
Attachments
IMG_1087.jpg
IMG_1087.jpg (93.06 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg (65.89 KiB) Viewed 5802 times
IMG_1073.jpg
IMG_1073.jpg (82.26 KiB) Viewed 5802 times

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:17 am

They're some nice looking bartops.

Assuming the RaspberryJAMMA RGBs signal appears washed out because of the RGB amp, it's probably worth trying the DACs VGA output into the monitor directly (which will bypass the RaspberryJAMMAs RGB amp). Just clip the cable tie holding the DAC on the RaspberryJAMMA board and unplug the DAC to access the DACs VGA port.

Not sure if using VGA will make it more complex with the switching setup you have... prob down to the monitor/switcher... I wouldn't worry about that for now though, testing/troubleshooting will be easier if you bypass the switching setup for now as it adds another layer of variables/complexity.

After adjusting your settings on the HDMI monitor have you been changing the HDMI connection back again? Just a thought as all your photos show the HDMI monitor connected. It would explain why you had no signal via RGBs after adjusting settings using HDMI. I'm guessing you were changing the connection but it's always worth mentioning the simple stuff... the HDMI connection not quite plugging in far enough could also cause issues... you've probably already checked that too.

slinghit
Community Member
Community Member

Post by slinghit » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:00 pm

Thank you for your response!

I connected the ARPICADE directly to the JAMMA harness. Connected from the DAC VGA output to the monitor VGA input. I also disconnected the CGA to make sure no interference with the VGA. The other end of the DAC is connected to the HDMI output of the Raspberry Pi.

All I get is "OUT OF RANGE/H:15.8 HZ V: 30HZ.

See image.

Thanks Jay
Attachments
out of range.jpg
out of range.jpg (15.5 KiB) Viewed 5781 times