Alternate power source?

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

pcnerd1
Community Member
Community Member

Alternate power source?

Post by pcnerd1 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:09 pm

So I just received my Arpicade and one thing I totally over looked was the way my cabinet gets power. I have a Golden Tee Fore cabinet that gets its power from an ATX computer power supply. The power supply plugs directly into the Golden Tee PCB so there is no power wired to the JAMMA harness. Is there some other way to get power to the Arpicade? I could plug in power directly to the RPI with a power adapter but this just seems not right. I guess I should have checked this before purchasing.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Alternate power source?

Post by dee2eR » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:17 am

It is possible to use a RPi power supply with one exception. The audio section of the RaspberryJAMMA runs on 12v, everything else will run off an RPi power supply. If your cab has stereo sound with an amplifier that is sepperate to the gameboard it may be perfefdct for such a power setup. It would also be possible to run the 12v section of the board off the Pi provided 5v with a jumper wire installed on the JAMMA connector - however the total available volume will be lower when running the audio section on lower power, also it is possible to pick up noise from the processor when powering both the RPi and audio amp off the same power source.

It would also be possible to wire the ATX power supply to the JAMMA edge, however this is not ideal as they don't have adjustable 5v and current RPIs prefer 5.1v to 5v.

If your cab has mono audio (standard JAMMA) I would consider picking up a JAMMA power supply. While you could do it other ways it's probably not going to save much money and would possibly take more time and be less compatible wiht other JAMMA boards...

pcnerd1
Community Member
Community Member

Post by pcnerd1 » Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:13 pm

Thank you dee2eR for the great info. Would I be able to bypass the Jamma audio and plug speakers directly into the RPi audio jack?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:36 am

You will need some sort of amp to run the speakers. The line level signal from the DAC or RPi isn't intended to run speakers directly. At best without an amp it would be very quiet.