X-men conversion

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

mbl1116
Community Member
Community Member

X-men conversion

Post by mbl1116 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:29 am

I have an original 4p X-men that works perfectly. I’m getting tired of the same game so I decided to add the Arpicade jamma adapter with Pi 3b+ and the 80 game 4p image package

My goal is to keep the X-men cabinet in-tact and use the existing connectors as much as possible.

I got everything booted up and was able to load a test game (Turtles in time). I credited up all 4 players using the buttons on the arpicade adapter, however when I went to start the game, only Donatello (3p position) worked and he was controlled with the 2p joystick and buttons. Attack and jump buttons functioned as expected.

-I was unable to start/credit any player
when testing Spider-Man.

-original TMNT credited all 4 players but only started player 2 again, and the button actions did not match up this time

I likely did not connect 3p and 4p kick harnesses in the correct orientation, so I’ll check that again tomorrow, but I’m not sure where to troubleshoot the other issues

I also am not sure what to do about sound, as the X-men cabinet has a separate stereo audio connection in the original setup

First time attempting any of this, so any advice is appreciated

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: X-men conversion

Post by dee2eR » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:59 am

First for the stereo sound, if your cab has a stereo amp still in it you can connect the DAC audio output to the stereo amp for stereo sound. Connected to an external stereo amp there will be no audio on the JAMMA edge so volume control will be on the external amp and not the JAMMA board.

The inputs issues sound like its a software config issue. If it's based on ARPiCADE 3.X it may be worth installing the 3.x.1 update (assuming it's not already installed on the pre built image) as that had some 4player setup fixes included. If you don't know the version don't run the update, it may break things on older versions. If the software is based on an older version I'd recommend upgrading to 3.X.1 and copying the games and any other custom bits from the build you have now to the new one.

It's worth checking the player 3 and 4 plugs, as well as correct orientation you will want them attached to the 'k' (Konami) headers and not the 'm' (Midway) headers. I haven't tested it on a XMen cab as it's far less common than Simpsons or TMNT here in Australia but the stock wiring should work with the 4 player board.

The other thing to check is the dipswitches on the RaspberryJAMMA board (not the four player board), you will want 1+2 ON and 3+4 OFF for normal JAMMA (may or may not be part of the issue depending on how your inputs are grounded to the JAMMA edge). I don't think the 4 player adaptor dipswitches will be an issue with stock Konami wiring.

The good news is you should not have to mod the cab (excepting possibly the audio setup if you can't use the stereo amp you already have).

mbl1116
Community Member
Community Member

Post by mbl1116 » Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:40 am

Thank you, maybe it would be easier to go piece by piece, so here’s what happened tonight

I went into the arpicade menu and made sure it was set to 4p

-When I coin up player 1, it registers in player 2
-When I coin up player 2, it registers in player 3

The games tested were Simpsons and TMNT, both played fine with the 2 players mentioned above, and the buttons were aligned to the correct action (jump was jump, etc)

Players 3 and 4 did not coin up at all.

I’ll also mention that i don’t believe any of the original wiring is incorrect, as this cabinet was functioning perfectly as a dedicated X-Men two days ago
dee2eR wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:59 am
First for the stereo sound, if your cab has a stereo amp still in it you can connect the DAC audio output to the stereo amp for stereo sound. Connected to an external stereo amp there will be no audio on the JAMMA edge so volume control will be on the external amp and not the JAMMA board.

The inputs issues sound like its a software config issue. If it's based on ARPiCADE 3.X it may be worth installing the 3.x.1 update (assuming it's not already installed on the pre built image) as that had some 4player setup fixes included. If you don't know the version don't run the update, it may break things on older versions. If the software is based on an older version I'd recommend upgrading to 3.X.1 and copying the games and any other custom bits from the build you have now to the new one.

It's worth checking the player 3 and 4 plugs, as well as correct orientation you will want them attached to the 'k' (Konami) headers and not the 'm' (Midway) headers. I haven't tested it on a XMen cab as it's far less common than Simpsons or TMNT here in Australia but the stock wiring should work with the 4 player board.

The other thing to check is the dipswitches on the RaspberryJAMMA board (not the four player board), you will want 1+2 ON and 3+4 OFF for normal JAMMA (may or may not be part of the issue depending on how your inputs are grounded to the JAMMA edge). I don't think the 4 player adaptor dipswitches will be an issue with stock Konami wiring.

The good news is you should not have to mod the cab (excepting possibly the audio setup if you can't use the stereo amp you already have).

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:34 am

I think I have an idea what your issue is.

Pretty sure your software will be set up for the panel in the following order: p3, p1, p2, p4 - some people setup their cabs that way so they don't have to reconfigure 2 player games to use the centermost controls as there are way more 2 player games than 4 player games. Your cab being a dedicated 4 player cab will be setup p1, p2, p3, p4 (obviously).

I'm guessing the p3 p4 coin up is just the emulator config is wrong for p3 p4 coin buttons.

If I'm right you can fix both issues in MAMEs menus while a game is running. Assuming the hotkeys are all running on your build you can press p1 start+ p1 joy right to open MAMEs menus. If you don't have that hotkey setup or you happen to have a keyboard plugged in 'tab' will also open MAMEs menus.

I think your wiring is fine from the sound of it.