Advmame - high res mode crop settings?

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

WillFromNehalem
Community Member
Community Member

Advmame - high res mode crop settings?

Post by WillFromNehalem » Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:50 pm

Back with another newbie question. In Advmame some of the the pregenerated modes for my 16:9 HDMI monitor are cut off (particularly for vertical games) when I ask for higher resolution. My goal is to make use of adv’s RGB pixel effects.

advv won’t run because it doesn’t like the SDL reference in advmame.rc, and advcfg test modes are coming up black.

Can you point me in a direction for tweaking advmame video modes? Thank you!
1D7E7344-2E78-4EE6-ABDC-C651333B60F7.jpeg
1D7E7344-2E78-4EE6-ABDC-C651333B60F7.jpeg (110.26 KiB) Viewed 2019 times

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Advmame - high res mode crop settings?

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jul 03, 2022 4:20 am

AdvMAME won't actually change the video signal the way it's setup. In your case it's runnning at 480p (assuming you're using the standard high res setting) so in the pic you've posted you're drawing 768 lines onto 480 lines, hence the missing lower part of the image, this would mostly happen on vertical games on a horizontal monitor.

Mostly using the 1x1 scalling in AdvMAME works well in high res, as it uses the Pis GPU to do the scaling to the output res (particularly when using AdvMAMEs SDL ouptut). But the video effects on offer won't work at all as far as I know at 1x scale, there's no pixels left for effects.

Unfortunately I don't really know much about using AdvMAMEs RGB effects, pretty sure at the resolution we use on RPi most (or all) of them won't look particularly good. One gotcha that you may run into trying to set it all up this way is performance will go down with higher output resolutions and added special effects, depending on what you're playing and your Pi this may or may not effect you. Another issue is there's more than one AdvMAME version in use to work around a few quirks of RPi / SDL (or not) / AdvMAME (check out the AdvMAME launcher script in /boot/launchers/ for more details of how that works).

Sorry I'm not much help on this one, mostly I just try to have all the emulators set up to work similarly to each other so it all feels cohesive. I also try to have anything that will run properly in newer MAME versions running in (at least) MAME 0.172.

WillFromNehalem
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Advmame - high res mode crop settings?

Post by WillFromNehalem » Sun Jul 03, 2022 5:04 pm

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. I’m content to abandon RGB pixel effects—nobody who ever plays this will care or even notice :D