Total Newb looking to convert NBA Jam Cab

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

ArcadeRu
Community Member
Community Member

Total Newb looking to convert NBA Jam Cab

Post by ArcadeRu » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:03 pm

Hi I have an NBA Jam cabinet and looking to convert it to an 80 game unit.

What do I need to purchase, and is it all plug and play?

From my understanding I need Jamma adapter, 4 player adapter and Raspberry Pi 3b+

Seems like Raspberry Pi 3b+ is currently not available. Are there alternatives?

Am I on tract, is this all I need? Originally I thought it was just the jamma/4 player adapter and I'm ready to go and thought it was a little steep at $200 for 80 when you can purchase a pandora box for $75 with 30000 games. Now it seems like I need to add another $200 for a Pi? Is this correct?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Total Newb looking to convert NBA Jam Cab

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:15 am

Do not spend $200 on a Pi3. That's just rediculous. You can easily get a Pi4 for less than half that.

Wiring wise a RaspberryJAMMA + four player adaptor should just plug into your NBAJam cab. Software wise you may need to tweak some settings to suit, all four player cabs area bit different (some use start buttons some don't etc).

There's not really much comparison quality wise between a Pandora and a good setup but if you are happy with the Pandora go for it. Loads of things are cheaper than other better things... you do you.

Finally, I'd recommend using the free release(s) of ARpiCADE and building it into what you want it to be rather than buying a pre-built SD card that may or may not suit you. No reason you can't put 30000 poorly setup/barely tested roms on a RaspberryJAMMA too, although I wouldn't personally...

ArcadeRu
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ArcadeRu » Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:09 am

Hi DeereR,

Thanks for the info and reply.

I read the adapter description and said only works with Pi3b+. So are you saying this will work with Pi4?

I don't know anything about Pi, or setting anything up, so all I'm looking to do is purchase the adapter with 4 player and 80 game image and plug and play.

Will I be able to accomplish this with Pi4 without tinkering?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:02 am

Pi4 uses a different version of the software so a build for earlier Pis won't work. If you really want to use that pre-built image you'l need a Pi3B or Pi3B+ (hopefully you can find a seller who isn't charging 4x or 5x normal price).

On Pi4 you would need to add roms to the software and set it to four player mode, and optionally tweak it all to your liking. Not hard, but if you don't want to DIY it, probably not the solution for you.