MAME to JAMMA

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

jhozeska
Observer
Observer

MAME to JAMMA

Post by jhozeska » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:53 pm

I have a custom multi-cade built on RetroPi. Overall, I am not happy with it. Every game has to be configured differently for its controls and there is no easy way to sort through thousands of games.

Would it be difficult to convert it from MAME RetroPi to a JAMMA system (such as a Blue Elf 621-in-1)?

kevlo9
Community Member
Community Member

Re: MAME to JAMMA

Post by kevlo9 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:03 am

I wouldn't go with one of the Elf or Pandora's Box multi boards...unless you just like fighting games (everything else plays poorly). They have allot of issues like screen tearing, slow play, and audio issues. They are a cheap (plug and play) jamma solution, but the game play just isn't there. I speak from experience as I have about 6. I always get excited when a new one is released, hoping the issues that I mentioned above will get fixed...sadly they do not.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: MAME to JAMMA

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:38 am

Converting your cab to JAMMA will vary based on whatever it is.

As has been said Pandoras Box/Blue Elf are cheap but not really recommended.

If you swap software on your current Pi setup from Retropie to ARpiCADE you will find the controls are much better suited to arcade cab use as it's not aimed at a Playstation style controller. Will take a little bit of setup as you're not using the RaspberryJAMMA hardware but no more effort required than completely rewiring your cab.