Can P2 be played as P1?

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

Brad1234
Community Member
Community Member

Can P2 be played as P1?

Post by Brad1234 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:05 am

Kind of a weird question, but I’ve got an existing 2-player NBA Jam TE cabinet where the P1 controls are wired to P2 on the JAMMA, and the P2 controls are actually P3 wired through a harness (This allows P2 to play against P3 in the game, whereas P1 and P2 would be on the same team).

I’m wondering if it’s possible to make the P2 controls act as P1 with ARPiCADE so I can keep NBA Jam JAMMA wired as-is but swap it out with ARPiCADE when I want to play other games?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Can P2 be played as P1?

Post by dee2eR » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:22 pm

Sure, you can just reconfigure the controls in the emulators and menus. In fact, if you also use the four player adaptor you could also do p2 as p3 and not change any wiring in your cab.

Oddly, I have occasionally recommended wiring 4 player cabs 3,1,2,4 to avoid having to do this while mixing 2 and 4 player games (through emulation only, it gets more complicated when swapping boards too - as you're aware).

Brad1234
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Brad1234 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 4:33 pm

Ok thank you! So would this be a global change or something I have to change in each individual game’s menu? And would this be done with the Pi connected to the computer or via the actual cabinet?

Sorry, I’m new to using ROMs like this…I’ve always just used original JAMMA PCBs but I’ve run into issues where P1 is needed to do anything so wasn’t sure if I’d be stuck on this too or how I’d make the P2–>P1 changes in the first place.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:52 am

You will need to change theinput settings for each emulator (that you're using) and Attract-Mode (the menu) to suit your custom button mapping. You'l need to plug in a keyboard before doing so but it can all be done on your cab.

Once the Attract-Mode game select menu has loaded press 'tab' to open it's settings menus, controls can be changed (for the menu only) here.

For MAME 172, 203, 230, AdvMAME (MAME 106) the changes are similar, load a game in the emulator press 'tab' edit inputs for all games.

For anything Retroarch based (consoles, MAME 078, FBA) it's a little more complicated and will have to be done in RAs menus which can be accessed with 'F1' (when you have a game running in RA). Each RA core in use will need it's own adjustment.

Let me know if you run into difficulties, without knowing which emulators you're using etc. this is just some generalised advice.