Trouble updating the splash screen

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

frostyfreeze
Community Member
Community Member

Trouble updating the splash screen

Post by frostyfreeze » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:30 am

I'm having trouble updating the splash screen. When I put the memory card in my PC, Windows doesn't recognize what's on the card and asks me to format.

When I put the card back into the Pi, I'm able to browse the files & folders on the card using a program called FileZilla, but I don't have any permissions to make any changes to the card (add the new splash.png, delete the old one, rename the old one, etc).

Hoping one of you experts can steer me in the right direction. If it makes a difference, I'm using the previous version of Arpicade, not the new version that just came out a few months ago. Thanksssssssssss

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Trouble updating the splash screen

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Can you access any of the SD card from Windows? The first partition should be accessible. Ordinarily I recommend using the service menu method of updating the splash image but if you don't have any access to get the file onto the /boot/config-updater directory it obviously won't work.

If you can get the file onto the SD card in any way (like copying it to the home folder via network maybe - the home folder shouldn't have any restrictions on it) I can give you the command to copy it to /etc. /etc and (while the Pi is running) /boot are not possible to copy to without superuser privileges.

frostyfreeze
Community Member
Community Member

Post by frostyfreeze » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:16 am

Thanks for the quick reply! My reply was so slow because I forgot to ask the forum to notify me when a reply is posted :roll:

The "home" folder is restricted for me but the "pi" folder isn't, so I dropped my new splash.png file in there. So what do I do next? And please make your instructions as idiot-proof as possible since I've probably never done what you're going to ask me to do :)

REMINDER: I'm using the previous version of Arpicade.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:44 am

OK no worries. The only difference between older versions and current in this regard is you may need to use 'esc' to exit the menu(s), current versions are using 'f4' to exit. Either way, when the system has booted exit the menu - if a second menu loads exit it too - and you should be on the commadn prompt.

Assuming your file is /home/pi/splash.png the exact command you would want is:

sudo cp /home/pi/splash.png /etc/ (press enter)

after that to reboot the system type:

sudo reboot (press enter)

and you should see your new splash.

frostyfreeze
Community Member
Community Member

Post by frostyfreeze » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:54 am

It worked! Hooray! Thank you!

And while you're here, is there something I can type to get from the terminal back to attract mode without having to reboot?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:25 am

You could just type:
logout (enter)

as the software is set up to auto login and run the script /boot/run.sh (which runs Attract-Mode), if you logout it auto logs you back in and re-runs the script (but doing it this way you wouldn't have seen if the splash updated or not).

if you just want to run Attract-Mode form the terminal you can with the command:
attract (enter)
but i very much do not recommend you doing it that way as it will cause some setup issues (because it's skipping other parts of run.sh).