Installing OS

Thinking about getting a RaspberryJAMMA, or have just purchased one and have a newbie question? Walls here are padded, come on in and bounce your question off of them!

Moderator: dee2eR

bkeez
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Installing OS

Post by bkeez » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:59 pm

Hi there!

Just bought mine and it should be here any day now. I downloaded the most recent release and I'm following the super handy installation guide. I used Megasync to download and unzip, but I don't see the file that is supposed to be copied to the SD card. I have a folder called 372update-BETA.

Thanks for the help,
Brittany

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Installing OS

Post by dee2eR » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:41 am

Sounds like you have grabbed an older version that was an update to the version before it.

The latest version is ARpiCADE 3.82, here's a link to download it:
https://mega.nz/#!Jm4nxA4T!aL8zaZv2nm05 ... RFsY6o8qxM

bkeez
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by bkeez » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:57 pm

Okay thank you!!

bkeez
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by bkeez » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 pm

Thank you for all your help!! It is sincerely appreciated.

Okay I used Etcher to copy the downloaded OS over to the SD card, but when I open the SD card I don't see it. Sorry for the dumb question, but is that normal?

bkeez
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by bkeez » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:17 pm

Also, one more question, when I power it on the monitor shows "No Support". Is this because the OS wasn't copied over correctly?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:43 pm

bkeez wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 pm
Thank you for all your help!! It is sincerely appreciated.

Okay I used Etcher to copy the downloaded OS over to the SD card, but when I open the SD card I don't see it. Sorry for the dumb question, but is that normal?
Depending on what OS you use you should be able to see at least the first partition of the SD card. The first partition is Fat32 so pretty much all systems should be able to see it.
bkeez wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:17 pm
Also, one more question, when I power it on the monitor shows "No Support". Is this because the OS wasn't copied over correctly?
Maybe, although if it showing 'no support' rather than 'no signal' that probably indicates the monitor is getting some sort of signal. The default setup for ARpiCADE is low res so if your monitor expects a high res signal (like a modern LCD monitor) then it may display a message like that if it is receiving a resolution it cannot display. I'm assuming you have a modern monitor as most low res CRTs don't have on screen messages (unless it's a fairly late model TV). What type of monitor are you using? It's pretty easy to change to high res settings if that's is what you need - of course it would help if you could see (at least the first part of) the SD card on your PC.

bkeez
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by bkeez » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 am

Thanks for your help!! I'm using a mac laptop. When I plug in the SD card, 'BOOT' pops up. I can view various folders on the SD card, but the OS doesn't appear to be on it.

I also don't see any ROMS in the folders. Just fyi, I bought the cocktail table games to be loaded on the front end.

Yes, I'm trying to use an LCD monitor.

bkeez
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by bkeez » Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:13 am

Okay so I used some of your advice from another thread and adjusted the resolution to 1. It worked!! Pacman comes up sideways on the screen and I'm not sure what to do from here, but I'm excited to have gotten this far! I'm going to dig through here and see how I can move around from there.

I'm still not able to see where the OS is stored or any rooms though. :?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:05 am

Not sure how the cocktail build you have will be setup or what version of ARpiCADE will be used on it but I'll try and help as best I can. What orientation is your monitor? I would think a cocktail build would come set up for a vertical screen as that is the most common cocktail setup. When you say Pacman comes up sideways is that the game (there's a Pacman menu theme) loading sideways but the game select menu is OK?

The roms should be on the part of the SD card you can see, otherwise it is a very customised (or older) build. The partition you cannot see has the rest of the system on it, for now you shouldn't need to worry about that though. I'm curious about the build you have now, would you mind posting a screen shot of what you can see on the SD card on your PC? May help me in helping you further.

I've collected a few Mac related notes from users here: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread ... dvice-help which may or may not be of interest to you.

bkeez
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by bkeez » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:08 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:05 am
Not sure how the cocktail build you have will be setup or what version of ARpiCADE will be used on it but I'll try and help as best I can. What orientation is your monitor? I would think a cocktail build would come set up for a vertical screen as that is the most common cocktail setup. When you say Pacman comes up sideways is that the game (there's a Pacman menu theme) loading sideways but the game select menu is OK?
The monitor is vertical and flips between two players. No, I'm sorry I mean the Pacman menu comes up sideways, but then from there I cannot get to any other games. I can enter the menu by hitting my test button, but that is all
dee2eR wrote:
The roms should be on the part of the SD card you can see, otherwise it is a very customised (or older) build. The partition you cannot see has the rest of the system on it, for now you shouldn't need to worry about that though. I'm curious about the build you have now, would you mind posting a screen shot of what you can see on the SD card on your PC? May help me in helping you further.
I see the ROM folders, but they are empty. I'm uploading a picture now. Thanks for your help!!!
dee2eR wrote:
I've collected a few Mac related notes from users here: https://www.aussiearcade.com/showthread ... dvice-help which may or may not be of interest to you.
Thank you!!! I will look into these.