ARpiCADE_5 beta2 - for RPi4 or RPi5

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

ARpiCADE_5 beta2 - for RPi4 or RPi5

Post by dee2eR » Wed Mar 20, 2024 12:54 pm

Further along than the first beta, but not yet complete. Since the last beta:

Added AdvMAME back, there's 2 different versions so it works on both Pi4 and Pi5 (it's automated so no need to worry). (mame-106 rom folder) - AdvMAME is the closest I've found to a good STV emulator (unfortunately as it's not perfect).

Added lr-mame2016 (mame-174) - supports Akai Katana (172 doesn't)

Hypseus should work in 240p or 480i.

Console support, not all the consoles that have rom folders are currently working. Dreamcast is partially setup, supergrafx, Colicovision and Saturn are not setup - the others should be working. It's very possible the console setup will change, there's probably better emulators to use etc. the current setup is similar to other ARpiCADE releases. Not yet taking advantage of Pi5 power for consoles.

The partitions are resized for future updates so it will require at least a 16gig SD card. When the beta becomes 1.0 I'll do both an update for this release and a full release so feel free to try it.

Some improvements to the resolutions since the first beta, should be less resolutions with curl issues and also more lined up with each other.

Use the service menu for settings changes (do not try to use any settings/configs from previous versions of ARpiCADE, this is different in a lot of ways). No four player adaptor support yet. Both start buttons to exit games.

Also a minor bug: If you get a black screen after returning to the menu after running a bunch of games just joystick up or down to bring the picture back (still need to figure it all out).

The download is about 6gig. As always I appreciate any and all feedback.
https://mega.nz/file/19MjHThI#htmhTuZgS ... 3CNaKuj0hk
Enjoy!

EDIT: some details copied from the original beta release thread.
There's a lot of things that have changed from earlier ARpiCADE releases. For the first time ARpiCADE is using X11 and KMS instead of the console/frame buffer, also using keyboard emulation for inputs for the first time due to a bug with RaspiOS/DKMS stopping the joystick driver from working (this also means I've had to do the hotkey shortcuts in a new way). Also currently only low res is supported, 240p is the default but it is also posible to optionally use 480i for menus, rotated games etc (it's had more testing in the 240p only mode). For Pi4 users, if you had a Pi4 that could not do 480i on ARpiCADE_4 you will be able to use 480i with ARpiCADE_5 if you like (one plus of having to redo the res switching).

MAME 0.172
MAME 0.251
Hypseus Singe (in place of Daphne)
Supermodel (Model 3)
Flycast (Naomi,Atomiswave and Naomi2) - Naomi 2 is using standalone, otherwise its the RA core.
lr-MAME-2003-plus
Support for Donut Dodo RPi version, (it's well worth the price even if you only play it a few times)

and under Box86 and WINE:
Model 2 emulator
Preliminary support for Fix It Felix (currently buggy when using the launcher needed for 240p, unfortunately - I think I've missed a WINE component...) - includes the (I)Fix(ed)ItFelix wrapper by Howard Casto

Attract-Mode forntend, boot splash & loading screens, auto rom scanning at startup (can be turned off in the service menu), preliminary automated res switching 240/256/288 lines @ various refresh rates and optionally 480i. Attract-Mode is set up with a theme that is readable at 240p (hori or vert). Press both start buttons to return to menu, the long hold from earlier ARpiCADE versions is not yet implemented (or any other hotkeys).

Bugs I'm aware of:
FIFJ inputs are essentially unplayable if using the launcher required for low res.

To come:
The service menu isn't complete
the four player adaptor is not yet supported. It will be in the future. (this isn't a bug, I just haven't done it yet, sorry for 4 player cab users)
more work on the console emulators
high res option(s, maybe)
more work on the res switching
improvement to hotkeys (only exit game at the moment)
may change MAME 251 for a newer release or recompile it to get rid of the odd warning screen... 251 is really good so far, surprisingly good on Pi4 too.

MonsterBathGames
Observer
Observer

Re: ARpiCADE_5 beta2 - for RPi4 or RPi5

Post by MonsterBathGames » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:51 am

Hey!

I got a chance to test this out tonight on my Pi5 set up! It's working well. Played SNES, Genesis, PSX and Dreamcast and it all seemed to work pretty well. The only issue I ran into was Advance Mame has no vsync on in any game I play so I get screen tearing. I tried turning it off and on in several games but the result is the same no matter what the setting is. And some of the games start in a strange resolution instead of their main one - I guess because it's forced to Auto.

I'm using USB controls in that cabinet so everything up to 4 players is working as well. Awesome update!! Looking forward to more!

Macs
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Macs » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:22 pm

I tested a bit this release on my PI5. I managed to run the arcade games correctly, apart a small defect on vertical games that was present also in previous release that I imagine will have to solve the same way I did here ( viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2942&start=10 ).
Dreamcast games start but have wrong resolution for me ( really narrow ). Playstation are ok, and PC engine instead do not start.

zacbran
Community Member
Community Member

Post by zacbran » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:10 am

Tried this on a PI4 (one that doesn't seem to support 480i with arpicade 4), and all I get is the splash screen for a second and then blank screen. Only change I made was adding vert.txt. I had arpicade 4 working to some level but the text in the menu's was almost unreadable (on a CRT) which I assume is due to the resolution problems with the newer PI4's. Any help would be much appreciated :)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:36 am

Give it a try without any changes after burning the SD card again. If that works just exit to the service menu and select whichever vert mode you want.

I've had another similar report on the previous beta release but I was only able to replicate it by moving partitions around and breaking something. Out of curiosity which program on which OS did you use to burn it? (I've used DD on Linux and the RPi imaging software on Windows with success - if you're using the RPi software on windows make sure to not let it make any changes to the image just burn as is).

EDIT: previous user to report this was burning on a Mac, not sure if that is relevant...

Tapper
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Tapper » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:30 am

I've decided to order a Pi5 and try this new release.

I'm hoping it will allow modern MAME versions to run well, as I was ultimately disappointed by some of the emulation issues of the old MAMEs on my Pi3+. Hopefully it will work well for me. FWIW I'm using a vertical JAMMA cabinet with standard res 19 inch CRT. Thanks to dee2eR for continuing to update this great project.

UPDATE: ordered a 4GB Pi5 and the official active cooler. I don't think I will need anything else...?

Any chance we could see Retroarch added? Lots of cool features gained even when running MAME.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 am

MAME 0.251 runs great for most stuff on Pi5. It's surprisingly good on Pi4 too.

RA MAME has an extra frame of input processing compared to vanilla MAME, I can add the core back but I wouldn't recommend it over vanilla. MAME 0.172 and later have next frame response, depending on the game (based on the pause game, hold input, advance frame by frame until input registers test method) - in RA MAME there would be 1 additional frame before the input registers for the same game.

Tapper
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Tapper » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:01 pm

The Pi5 came, but I now realized it no longer has a full size HDMI port like my P3b+. :-/

Need to search for an appropriate adapter.

Tapper
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Tapper » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:33 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Fri Apr 26, 2024 5:12 am
MAME 0.251 runs great for most stuff on Pi5. It's surprisingly good on Pi4 too.

RA MAME has an extra frame of input processing compared to vanilla MAME, I can add the core back but I wouldn't recommend it over vanilla. MAME 0.172 and later have next frame response, depending on the game (based on the pause game, hold input, advance frame by frame until input registers test method) - in RA MAME there would be 1 additional frame before the input registers for the same game.
No problem and thanks for the explanation. I'm just so happy you are still updating Arpicade! Looking forward to firing up my new pi5 with beta 2 later. I have an HDMI adapter coming later tonight.

Tapper
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Tapper » Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:38 pm

Hi dee2eR,

So I setup everything and I only get this:
arpicade pi5 beta 2 (small).jpg
arpicade pi5 beta 2 (small).jpg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 21 times
Any suggestions? Seems like there is a picture of some sort trying to display, but not at proper timings?

My cabinet is a pretty standard JAMMA setup. The monitor is a 19" standard res CRT. In the past I have successfully run Arpicade on a pi3b+, and also an ArcadeSD board.

On the Pi5 HDMI is connected to HDMI0 (left side input). The 64GB mSD card was burned with the beta2 image, and the only thing I did was add some roms into the mame-251 roms folder.

FWIW here is my setup. I don't know what version PCB I have, but since the pi5 does power up and something is going to the display, am I to assume it is OK? I never changed anything on it, but I saw in the previous beta thread some talk about a fuse. I am not sure which component is the fuse in question. UPDATE: I looked it up and I purchased this PCB in March, 2019 from highscoresaves.
arpicade pi5 beta 2. - my pi2jamma (small).JPEG
arpicade pi5 beta 2. - my pi2jamma (small).JPEG (182.38 KiB) Viewed 18 times