ARpiCADE 4.0 (experimental Pi 4 software)

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

Sk8ersublime
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: ARpiCADE 4.0 (experimental Pi 4 software)

Post by Sk8ersublime » Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:12 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Thu Apr 23, 2020 2:08 am
Turtles in Time will run better in 172. The same rom from 203 should work if you move it over and rescan your roms.
yea it works ok in 172, i was just wondering if the PI4 fixes the slowness in the intro in 203. The intro is super laggy on my Pi3B+ in 203. And I run into some weird lag issues in 172 when i bring up the in game mame menu to configure button mapping.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:09 am

Yeah, I'm not sure why MAMEs menu being up causes performance drops, it's only while the menu is up though...

Hayaeti
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hayaeti » Mon May 25, 2020 12:36 pm

So I know I've asked this before. But I get a really dark picture out of my Arpicade. Especially when compared to say my FPGA or a real board.

Is there any way to boost the brightness? I am suspecting it may just be the hdmi-vga adapter being used. If you haven't experienced this issue, would I be able to buy another one just to see if mine is faulty? or can you recommend another version/options to boost the brightness?

It's super dark, it's not me, I swear :D

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed May 27, 2020 8:01 am

Which model RaspberryJAMMA do you have?

If it's a v3 it has a video amp on board, I'm not sure why it would be dark (at least not dramatically so, nothing a little adjustment on the monitor chassis brightness pot wouldn't fix up).

The earlier models had no video amp. They were still fine on a lot of monitors though. It is possible to modify a v1 or v2 board to have a video amp on board if you do have the earlier model. I'm happy to talk you through the mod or upgrade the board for you if you have one of the earlier models.

I'm waiting on a delivery of DACs at the moment, once I have them I'll be happy to supply one if you need one. It's possible the DAC is providing the video amp with a dimmer than usual signal, although I don't believe I've seen it happen before.

Hayaeti
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hayaeti » Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 am

I had a look and I have revision #3.

Can you let me know when you get some DACs in stock? I'm happy to buy another one and try it.

I've tried multiple different boards into this cab and it seems to be unique to the RaspberryJamma.

Maybe it's a power issue on my PSU? hmmm

weird.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:55 pm

Hayaeti wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:16 am
I had a look and I have revision #3.

Can you let me know when you get some DACs in stock? I'm happy to buy another one and try it.

I've tried multiple different boards into this cab and it seems to be unique to the RaspberryJamma.

Maybe it's a power issue on my PSU? hmmm

weird.
I wouldn't think it's power supply related. Was it also dark with earlier model Pis? When you swapped to Pi4 did you use a different DAC or a HDMI to micro HDMI adaptor and the original DAC?

Hayaeti
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hayaeti » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:46 am

I got to the bottom of the darkness issue. I replaced the micro/mini? hdmi cable and now it's all good.

Now another question.

Would there be a way to mirror the output to the 2nd hdmi slot? so I could use some form of capture on it? (using an OSSC)

I presume I'd have to use an OSSC as it'd output in the same resolution on the other port, yeah?
If I tried to output one res on one port and another on the other, it'd probably be too much for the Pi.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:49 am

From my experimentation with two monitors so far it's promising but not there yet. I was running two unique displays (arcade Punchout style) and was forced to run X11 to make it all work. Hopefully when the video drivers are more mature it will be possible without X as the performance hit is huge. I wasn't able to get MAME to display to 2 monitors at once without X when I tried.

For just screen mirroring it may be different than when running two unique displays, I haven't tried it. You can set the two outputs to different resolutions, I have no idea how that may or may not effect screen mirroring though. I was running two 240p outputs when I did it.

Hayaeti
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hayaeti » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:01 pm

That's pretty promising.

I'd love to be able to capture a higher res through an El-Gato or something while also using the primary display for my Astro City.

Also, this is kinda unrelated to the core product, but can I run non-approved MAME games somehow? eg. Rom Hacks etc? I've got a Donkey Kong 'On the Run' hack that I'm playing at the moment, but I have to launch it in windows via command line. Would i have to drop to the shell and do the same on the arpicade? ir is there a way to tell the launcher to load games that it doesn't understand the checksum of?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:56 am

It is possible to run hacks, with a bit of a workaround. See here: https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1194 and maybe here: https://arpicade.com/forums/viewtopic.p ... kong#p4758