ARpiCADE 4.1

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: ARpiCADE 4.1

Post by dee2eR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:35 am

Vert setups should be fixed, please let me know if I missed anything. You can now select vertical setup from the config menu rather than edit the config directly too.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:08 am

Just tried NEO-GEO in MAME 0.215 (lr-MAME). Runs great. Only had one quick game of Garou but it seemed absolutely fine to me (I own the real hardware but I'm not a fighting game expert...).

Hayaeti
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hayaeti » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 am

Hey mate,

I tried out 4.1 and it's giving me the super squashy video like last time before I updated the res files.. (boy I wish I had backed them up.... haha)
20200731_180550.jpg
20200731_180550.jpg (110.09 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
Also, how do I rotate the menu itself?
20200731_180536.jpg
20200731_180536.jpg (135.94 KiB) Viewed 5100 times
Lastly, I tried loading up Ikaruga by populating the noami directory with the rom and chd (in a separate folder) It seemed to work fine in MAME, but just booted back to the screen here. Should the CHD be in a seperate directory like in MAME?

Also noticed that I get a yellow power symbol when loading occurs... is that due to the pi not liking only having 5v of power?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 2:08 am

Hayaeti wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:27 am
Hey mate,

I tried out 4.1 and it's giving me the super squashy video like last time before I updated the res files.. (boy I wish I had backed them up.... haha)

Also, how do I rotate the menu itself?

Lastly, I tried loading up Ikaruga by populating the noami directory with the rom and chd (in a separate folder) It seemed to work fine in MAME, but just booted back to the screen here. Should the CHD be in a seperate directory like in MAME?

Also noticed that I get a yellow power symbol when loading occurs... is that due to the pi not liking only having 5v of power?
What version of MAME and what DK? Also did you update the launchers with the ones I added to the OP? I found myself confused about the aconfig file one night, I mixed up ror and vert... hopefully I didn't upload it that way but DK is running fine vertical for me at the moment using the 240p only vert settings, I tried 480i vert as well which was also fine... I may have to upload some more fixup files...

While in the menu press 'test' or 'tab' and Attract-Modes options menu will appear. Looks like you use the All-Games layout - so change that layout to a vertical theme.

Ikaruga should work, you may have the wrong version of the rom. I have found Flycast can picky with rom versions, unfortunately I don't know which MAME version it's based on. The rom and folder the CHD is in should have the same name, the CHD has its own different name. How is the NAomi performance in MAME? (also which version of MAME?) I hadn't thought to try.

You'll want to turn up your power supply a bit until you have around 5.1v at the JAMMA edge. My Pi4 setup has the power supply turned up by 0.12v compared to my Pi3 setup.

EDIT: I've replaced the update with a better one that includes fixed up aconfigs and fixes Naomi auto rotation... sorry for the hassle.

Hayaeti
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hayaeti » Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:49 am

Okay, update time.

Things are vertical now BUT!
The display_rotate option doesn't seem to be doing anything ... my screen is always upside down, both in the emulator, and in the layout & boot splash.

As for how Noami games perform in standard mame... the answer is terribly :) they use software to run the 3D acceleration, which is very CPU intensive.

Any thoughts on why it won't flip anymore?

I've tried the display rotate settting both on =2 and hashed out... seems to be the wrong way up every time. (my monitor is opposite of normal vertical to be fair, but the rotate option used to work)

Seems like it's a known issue?
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/264 ... r-update/2

Any idea what line I'd need to put in that cmdline.txt to make it flip safely?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Aug 01, 2020 12:10 pm

Hayaeti wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:49 am

The display_rotate option doesn't seem to be doing anything ... my screen is always upside down, both in the emulator, and in the layout & boot splash.

I've tried the display rotate settting both on =2 and hashed out... seems to be the wrong way up every time. (my monitor is opposite of normal vertical to be fair, but the rotate option used to work)
Can confirm. That's a weird one. I didn't even think to check that, it must have been broken by a Raspbian system update or something.

I'll check it out more tomorrow. Not sure exactly whats causing the issue at the moment. I can make a work around if I can't fix it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Aug 02, 2020 12:32 am

Hayaeti wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 11:49 am

Seems like it's a known issue?
https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/264 ... r-update/2

Any idea what line I'd need to put in that cmdline.txt to make it flip safely?
May have been known to RetroPie, I had no idea... seems like a general Pi4 firmware/kernel bug.

The link you posted had most of the answer. I've just done some quick tests and it works nicely. You can add
video=HDMI-A-1:960x480M,rotate=180
to cmdline.txt to fix up the flipping. If you use the 240p only mode change 960x480 to 1920x240 (although the only thing it seemed to break with the 480i setting is the splash image - I can't test everything so maybe other issues too)...

Here's a copy of cmdline.txt that should flip it for you: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sZqfqB ... sp=sharing
it's called cmdline.txt.flip you will need to rename it cmdline.txt for it to work... you may want to back up the original cmdline.txt first. The provided file is set for 480i boot settings (it will work at 240p excepting the splash from what I've seen).

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:34 pm

Cjoli wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 pm
I am curious if it would run some the Neo Geo stuff better.
Could you give a few NEO games that you are having speed issues with? In the current Pi3 version.

I'd like to compare my ARpiCADE to my PC MAME cabinet to see how much of a difference there is.

I am not very Neo-Geo knowledgeable so I wouldn't notice anything but the most obvious of issues.
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

Cjoli
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Cjoli » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:14 am

FrizzleFried wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:34 pm
Cjoli wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 pm
I am curious if it would run some the Neo Geo stuff better.
Could you give a few NEO games that you are having speed issues with? In the current Pi3 version.

I'd like to compare my ARpiCADE to my PC MAME cabinet to see how much of a difference there is.

I am not very Neo-Geo knowledgeable so I wouldn't notice anything but the most obvious of issues.
So I did some experimenting tonight, I have a few Arpicades but the one in my Street Fighter 2 cab is the only one that I run later 90s games in, the other 2 are more early 80s classics. A lot of the games have slow down like Street Fighter, Metal Gears, NBA Jam and more I also get the lighting bolt all the time on this one. So I pulled the game out to check the voltage and it was running at about 5.1v, I turned it up to 5.2v and its better but I still get it especially when the game first load but things did run better.

Is it ok to run it at 5.2v or is that too much, that 5.2 is tested at the edge connector without the ArPi hooked up, so no load? Running the NEO GEO stuff is better at the higher voltage but you can still here some hitches in the sound.

I have a P4 still in the box I bought months ago that I have been waiting to upgrade this one to but I will probably wait for the next release and see what else gets worked out.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:44 am

Cjoli wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:14 am

So I did some experimenting tonight, I have a few Arpicades but the one in my Street Fighter 2 cab is the only one that I run later 90s games in, the other 2 are more early 80s classics. A lot of the games have slow down like Street Fighter, Metal Gears, NBA Jam and more I also get the lighting bolt all the time on this one. So I pulled the game out to check the voltage and it was running at about 5.1v, I turned it up to 5.2v and its better but I still get it especially when the game first load but things did run better.

Is it ok to run it at 5.2v or is that too much, that 5.2 is tested at the edge connector without the ArPi hooked up, so no load? Running the NEO GEO stuff is better at the higher voltage but you can still here some hitches in the sound.

I have a P4 still in the box I bought months ago that I have been waiting to upgrade this one to but I will probably wait for the next release and see what else gets worked out.
Is your JAMMA loom one of the new type that has only one wire for 5v and GND connections to the power supply? If so it's probably the issue, modern cheap looms are usually crap - the wire isn't even copper and there's not much of it... It sounds like your loom is probably not carrying the current it should. If you do have only 1 wire to 5v on the power supply and 1 (or even 2 as GND is return for 12v too) to GND on the power supply you should add some more wire to these connections. My test rig has one of these modern crap looms, for Pi3 I had doubled the power wires in it, recently for Pi4 I've added a 3rd 5v wire and a 4th GND to the power supply (I had extra matching wire that had been cut off similar cheap JAMMA looms - I would have been better off using better quality copper wire but the loom is pretty worn out after 6 years of testing boards in it and I'll probably replace the lot eventually).

You should read the voltage with the board connected, it will vary based on the load of the board. 5.2v should be OK for a RaspberryJAMMA with RPi3 but you don't really want to go any higher, if you power wires are OK you should be able to have it lower than 5.2v.

If you try to upgrade to the Pi4 without sorting out the power issue you won't get the most out of it, Pi4 will compound the issue as it has a higher power draw.

If I'm right about this and you fix up the power wiring you should find the performance in the games you listed is fine (depending on the emulator used, of course).