ARpiCADE 4.1

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

ARpiCADE 4.1

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jul 28, 2020 11:54 am

ARpiCADE 4.1 is here!
It's still considered experimental and is still only supports arcade stuff but it's getting there.

What it has:
-Attract-Mode
-service menu (still cut down compared to 3.9)
-Naomi stuff can now be exited without a keyboard (but still doesn't work with other button shortcuts)
-fixed Naomi output when booting at 240p (not authentic but looks great on the titles I tried)
-improved vertical config compared to 4.0

What I still haven't done yet:
-Daphne
-consoles
-4 player support
-high res support
-wifi support

Known bugs:
-MAME 172 and 203 are basically unusable when booting at 480i (MAME doesn't know when the system swaps res to 240p so draws the screen wrong), use 174 and 215 if using default settings.
-Naomi (lr-flycast) won't auto rotate for vertical monitor mode like most Retroarch stuff, it's a core option in the quick menu you will need to turn on manually (Haven't actually tried it yet myself... I'm assuming it works)
-Can occasionally see some boot text (particularly if you have changed anything on the 2nd partition since the previous boot)
-the boot splash image takes a few seconds to start making it seem like it's not running initially

get it here:
https://mega.nz/file/N4cWDKrK#OkoHq1sH- ... lgPG96DPEk

fantastic guide to resizing for your SD card here: http://aha-forums.com/wp/2018/02/02/how ... ory-cards/

I still recommend Pi3B+ and ARpiCADE 3.9 for the best overall experience.

EDIT:
I'm not sure if it will boot on the 8gig model of Pi4, I don't have one.

Update:
Oringinal update removed
Better update:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cv5F9J ... sp=sharing
copy the new launchers over the old ones in /boot/launchers/
and copy the files in the aconfig directory over the ones in /home/pi/.config/retroarch/aconfig/
vert games should be fixed up at the various different settings available (hopefully I didn't miss anything this time...)

another update:
for flip screen support (to suit your monitor mounting): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1sZqfqB ... sp=sharing
it's called cmdline.txt.flip you will need to rename it cmdline.txt for it to work... (setup for 480i, should work OK at 240p, you may want to adjust it)

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: ARpiCADE 4.1

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:49 pm

Can anyone give me an idea of what kinds of speed improvements there are in MAME? My cabinets are all standard res (plus I have a netbooting NAOMI setup already so I don't need to emulate)... so I'm going to guess most of what I'd be using it for is MAME. Can I play any 3D games in MAME now (Blitz titles for example)?

Are any of the non or mostly playable games with the Pi3 playable with the Pi4.

I'm trying to justify the upgrade.....

:)
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm

Can anyone give me an idea of what kinds of speed improvements there are in MAME? My cabinets are all standard res (plus I have a netbooting NAOMI setup already so I don't need to emulate)... so I'm going to guess most of what I'd be using it for is MAME. Can I play any 3D games in MAME now (Blitz titles for example)?

Are any of the non or mostly playable games with the Pi3 playable with the Pi4.

I'm trying to justify the upgrade.....

:)
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:40 pm

I haven't tried Blitz, if I had to guess probably not. I am happy to try things if you can think of anything that doesn't play well with Pi3.

So far I've found:
Killer Instinct runs pretty good in MAME 078 - I assume it's old emulation etc. KI2 is slow...

CV1000 games seem playable, some better than others. (MAME 174) I mean to compare 174 and 172 performance at some point with these games (but 172 is basically only useful for 240p only setups due to a bug so I've been avoiding it so far but it's the best overall MAME for Pi3 and syncrefresh+waitvsync is great so I want it to work).

Naomi is pretty good in it's dedicated emulator, but not as good as netbooting on real hardware. The Capcom 2D Naomi games look great forced to 240p too, which I found novel as a fellow netbooter... Also overclocking the Pi4 seems to make this emulator more likely to stutter... oddly.

I haven't found a good SEGA STV solution yet. AdvMAME is close but not very usable due to video issues, I don't think AdvMAME's STV emulation is great anyway... (EDIT: ditto NAMCOs PS1 based boards - end EDIT) I can't remember if I tried it in everything yet, now that I think about it...

They're pretty much the games I know that didn't work before on Pi3. Loads of stuff that worked well before but in earlier MAME versions should work in newer MAME versions on Pi4, although any benefit of that will vary from game to game.

I'd love to hear titles to try if anyone has ideas.

ace5
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by ace5 » Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:35 pm

Keep up the good work will try when fully functional with console and Daphne ,by the way what emulators run the Naomi stuff
Thanks

Cjoli
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Cjoli » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 pm

I am curious if it would run some the Neo Geo stuff better.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:09 pm

ace5 wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 4:35 pm
Keep up the good work will try when fully functional with console and Daphne ,by the way what emulators run the Naomi stuff
Thanks
Thanks

The Naomi (and Atomiswave) games are run in lr-flycast

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:11 pm

Cjoli wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:44 pm
I am curious if it would run some the Neo Geo stuff better.
I haven't tried yet but I assume it will run NeoGeo stuff fine in the newest MAME (currently 215 is the newest available on it), failing that 174 should run them all fine...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jul 29, 2020 12:15 pm

FrizzleFried wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm
Can I play any 3D games in MAME now (Blitz titles for example)?
I tried Blitz in MAME 078 (lr-MAME-2003-plus) as I only had the CHD for it in that version of MAME... seems very slow, I didn't wait for it to finish loading as it was taking too long...

Hayaeti
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Hayaeti » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:43 am

Thanks for the update mate.

If I replace the version I've got, should I keep a copy of all those files I edited to support vertical, or will this one work fine?

Cheers!