ARpiCADE 3.X (that's a ten, I thought 10 may be confusing...)

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: ARpiCADE 3.X (that's a ten, I thought 10 may be confusing...)

Post by cool_factor » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:38 am

Works properly. I thought it was locked up at first until I realized just relaunching the same game then exiting again and it works. Like it hangs when switching back resolutions (if that's what it truly is doing).

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 08, 2021 1:47 am

I'll keep an eye out for it. Intermittant bugs are the worst to figure out...

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon Feb 08, 2021 2:51 am

Centipede in 172 does it for sure. You'll push button to load game, play game, exit game and screen goes dark.If you look carefully you can see faint lines, push button and centipede reloads and you can exit and go back to attract mode. I "think" you are actually in attract mode because I'm pretty sure the first time it happened I moved joystick around and another game launched, that's what gave me the idea to just relaunch centipede again and discovered what I did. Hope all this makes sense... on a side note, how in the world do you configure 106 (advmame) to recognize both a trackball and a spinner. I've tried suggestions I've searched and nothing has worked. Any ideas or walk thru? Sorry for so much info at once.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Feb 08, 2021 3:43 am

Interesting, I still can't replicate it here. What orientation and resolution are you using? Possibly something to do with it.

I put a suggestion re. trackball and spinner in the other thread you had asked in, unfortunaty I don't actually have both (just trackball, no spinner) to figure it out. Basically I suspect you need to edit another config file: /home/pi/advmame3.9-1/advmame.rc

I will have to get a spinner some time to get the defaults set up better.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon Feb 08, 2021 11:44 am

Vertical 25" crt low res with latest updates.

gt7766c
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by gt7766c » Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:15 am

I’ve had similar problems that cool_factor mentions (screen going blank) in previous builds of ARpiCADE. Had it happen to me on most recent build a couple days ago. Exactly as described, exit the game to attract mode and you’re in attract mode but the screen is blank. You can still control the menu, move around, here other games’ previews. When it happens I just go into a game and exit back out again and usually can see attract mode again. It’s very very sporadic.
Kris

Vids:  Ms. Pac-Man, Star Wars, NBA Jam TE, Golden Tee Complete, ARpiCADE  X  2
Pins:  Space Shuttle, Space Mission

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:56 am

Interesting. I wasn't able to replicate it in the last couple of days using Centipede but that doesn't mean much if it's essentially random...

Assuming it's related to the res switching I wonder if adding a slight delay when returning to the menu would fix it up. Hard to test if it works though, as I'm not sure if I've actually seen it happen before.

As I've only had it reported for MAME172 if anyone wants to test the theory adding the line
sleep 3
to the second last line of the MAME172 launcher script (the blank line before the exit line after the res switches back to default).

It would be better to do it in the resSwitch script but it would be more complicated to explain. If anyone can confirm slowing down return to menu after res switching helps the issue I will put it in the resSwitch.sh script fo the next update. I may just do it either way as a very slightly slower return to menu shouldn't cause any greif.

EDIT: an older thread with the same issue was bumped recently, I now suspect the issue may be to do with holding the P1 start button for longer than necesary to exit the game... it may be causing part of the res switching back to 480i to be skipped or similar. I will investigate it further today, hopefully with this new (old) info I can reproduce the problem and then find a solution...

ANOTHER EDIT: still can't seem to replicate it.

Matt68061
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Matt68061 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:40 pm

Good day.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger on a Rpi 4 and download the new image to play around with. I also thought I might update to 3.X while I am at it...

If I DL those base images...do I still need to apply the patch fixes? Or...have they been rolled into the base image download now?

Just thought I would ask.... might cross post on KLOV for a few more views on this side of the planet :)

Thanks,
Matt

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:25 am

If you want the absolute latest for Pi3 or earlier you will need to update 3.X to 3.X.1 with the patch.

4.2 is the latest for Pi4 and is just a full image download. There will probably be a 4.3 released in the next week or so, which will also be a full image, no hard ETA yet really...

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Is the upgrade to a Pi4 and build 4.3(when released) worth the upgrade? Whats the improvements of 4.3 over the 3.x.1? What can 1 do that 1 cant?
Last edited by cool_factor on Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.