ARpiCADE 3.X (that's a ten, I thought 10 may be confusing...)

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: ARpiCADE 3.X (that's a ten, I thought 10 may be confusing...)

Post by cool_factor » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:20 pm

Matt68061 wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 2:40 pm
Good day.

Well, I decided to pull the trigger on a Rpi 4 and download the new image to play around with. I also thought I might update to 3.X while I am at it...

If I DL those base images...do I still need to apply the patch fixes? Or...have they been rolled into the base image download now?

Just thought I would ask.... might cross post on KLOV for a few more views on this side of the planet :)

Thanks,
Matt
Theyve been rolled into 3.x.1 Matt: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1CBiiNF ... sp=sharing

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:00 am

cool_factor wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:19 pm
Is the upgrade to a Pi4 and build 4.3(when released) worth the upgrade? Whats the improvements of 4.3 over the 3.x.1? What can 1 do that 1 cant?
The 4.[whatever] branch is for RPi4. (1,2 and 4 gig models tested, I don't have an 8 gig)
The 3.[whatever] branch is for earlier RPis. (Pi2 onward)

At the moment 3.X.1 on Pi3B+ is the best overall experience, RPi4 is still a bit quirky - it's getting there though, prior to 4.2 it wasn't that great...

At the moment the ARpiCADE 3. branch supports Daphne, 4 player adaptor and highres all of which are not (yet) available on ARpiCADE 4.2. ARpiCADE 4.2 supports Naomi and Atomiswave in a dedicated emulator (Flycast, not included in 3.X). ARpiCADE 4.3 will bring 4 player adaptor support, possibly more too.

IMHO the best thing about Pi4 is the extra power lets you run more games in 172 (or 203) rather than using older versions of MAME. eg, NEO-GEO (best in FBA on Pi3) and 90s Midway stuff like MK3 (best in 078 on Pi3) run great in 172. Also some stuff that was a complete pipe dream on Pi3 is now pretty good nad playable on Pi4, best example I can think of being DeathSmiles which is very playable on Pi4 (especially when overclocked).

Unfortunately the new video chip in the Pi4 has also given me a whole new host of things to figure out... I've spent quite a bit of time recreating and bugfixing things that have worked fine on earlier Pis for years.

Both 3.X and 4.2 will run (most) games scanline perfect and at the games original refresh rate (on low res monitors). Long term the 4.[whatever] branch will be getting more updates, 3.[whatever] may not get many more updates.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:51 am

Good to know as I play 99% games from late 70s to late 80s, not much beyond that. Daphne is a deal breaker if it won't play on the Pi4, gotta have Dragons Lair. If resolutions, speed and game play improvements are better and DL is available then I'd upgrade. Thanks for all that info.

Matt68061
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Matt68061 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:35 am

Ugh...missed that about no Daphne on Pi4 ...Just bought a 4gb model... :D ...oh well, will still play around with it. Would love to see if Golden Tee Fore is even remotely playable.

I have updated to 3.X and it seems great so far...except Dragons Lair...ha! I haven’t done ANY troubleshooting as of yet to see if its just a bad rom or frame file. (Same files play fine on my 3.83 card).

Anyone else having issues with Daphne? I am missing the intro “speaking” part and a white text overlay I cant get rid of. Controls are seemingly not responsive either.

I presume there is some type of Daphne config file I can snoop around? Similar to advmame.rc or the MAME config files.

Richard... did you ever get that spinner/trackball rolling for Advmame?

** now that I think of it... wasnt there an issue in the past with Dragons Lair and that speaking introduction due to a bad audio cable...or something like that? Anyone recall?

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Thu Mar 18, 2021 11:20 am

On 3.X.1 and I get the DL attract sounds, also have the white scores. I haven't figured out how to get rid of it yet. As far as the trackball, yes I've got it working, some ROMs did give issues and I moved to 172 to fix. So far so good. Now if I could only get Star wars working.... Only loads and plays well in 78 or 106 and I just cannot get it working good with the TB. Yes, its not a trackball game but when I test on a pc it plays great with it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:56 am

Matt68061 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 4:35 am

Anyone else having issues with Daphne? I am missing the intro “speaking” part and a white text overlay I cant get rid of. Controls are seemingly not responsive either.

I presume there is some type of Daphne config file I can snoop around? Similar to advmame.rc or the MAME config files.

** now that I think of it... wasnt there an issue in the past with Dragons Lair and that speaking introduction due to a bad audio cable...or something like that? Anyone recall?
Yeah having the anouncer missing can be an indicator you're missing the right channel (I think, one of them anyway) of the audio. For me the 2.1 enhanced version drops the announcer too, so it's possible there's a software issue too but I'd check the 3.5mm cable first. If you have 2 RJ boards swapping the audio cables from one board to the other should move the fault with it if it is the cable. Otherwise continuity checking the cable from end to end (all three connections) will reveal if it has a broken channel.
cool_factor wrote:On 3.X.1 and I get the DL attract sounds, also have the white scores. I haven't figured out how to get rid of it yet.
To disable the white text overlay edit the Daphne launcher /boot/launchers/daphne.sh other than that I don't think there's any useful files to check out for Daphne.

EDIT: and Daphne should be possible on Pi4, just need to look into it again at this point. Pretty sure some other distros have it running on Pi4.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Tue Mar 23, 2021 10:13 am

How do you get the enhanced versions of DL or Space Ace to run? I added the zips and edited the games list. I see DL and DLE in AM but when I try to launch neither will. I removed what I did. Regular DL loads again??? Deleted log file by accident so I don't know what it said...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:26 am

@cool_factor & @Matt68061 Daphne is definately in the next release for Pi4, runs great (only tried Dragons Lair so far, I did a little better than usual but still quite badly - it's really not my game).

NitrousDog
Observer
Observer

Post by NitrousDog » Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:44 am

Hello

Just updated my Sega blast city(15khz setting) with ARpiCADE 3.X.1, coming from ARpiCADE 3.84.
Generally working awesome, but I have a couple of findings:

1. Double dragon 1,2 and 3 gets distorted screen, like it's too high resolution. Have tried all different Mame versions, with same results. They worked fine with ARpiCADE 3.84 and older verisions, with the same Sega blast city. No other games seems to have this issue.

2. Final fight - The menu(Joy right + P1 start) is unreadable(too dark). I run final fight in Mame 172. Other games in 172, like Ikari warriors and Rolling Thunder have a good working menu.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:19 am

Just had a look at Double Dragon, it's fine on my monitor. Possibly you just need a sync adjustment(?, Double Dragon 1 and 2 run at about 57.444855 hz ish), it's hard to say what is going wrong for you.

Double Dragon 3 runs at 60hz (I think), it should be using a different res/refresh to the other 2 - very odd if it also has the issue.