ARpiCADE 4.3 (for RPi4)

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Re: ARpiCADE 4.3 (for RPi4)

Post by jmac » Sun May 02, 2021 10:11 pm

Just circling back on the suggestion to try using the LCD to auto size my screen display issue (not filling left to right fully). It does wiggle the screen around for a couple of seconds and display it is auto sizing though it ends up in the same spot (not using the full width of the screen). I do not have stretch capability just H and V positioning. I looked a little at the custom 640x480 60hz settings in the config.txt and i am curious where the pixel frequency number being used comes from? The value is 26208000. When i do a little research it seems like this should be closer to 25Mhz for standard 640x480 60hz? when i substitute a value of 25175000 in place of the 26208000 value the attract mode looks perfectly sized. You guys are a lot smarter than me and i am sure the values in the config.txt for 640x480 are there for a reason though could you explain that a bit. When i leave the attract mode and select a game other than Mame (like NES console) it says it is out of range though i assume i would need to go play with the values in the launcher scripts to try and get this working full screen on my LCD?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 03, 2021 1:12 am

The pixel clock change you have made will cause it to run at 57.635(...). hz instead of 60, the actual picture size shouldn't have changed at all, I think any difference would be your monitor.

I will play with some more numbers, so far I haven't been able to get everyting just so.

You are right that launcher files would also need to be edited to match your res change to keep the system form doing surprising things when you launch a game. That said, don't do it. If I can find the right settings I'll upload a fix.

The pixel clock should be total hori pixels (including porch and pulse) x total vert pixels (including porch and pulse) x refresh rate.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 03, 2021 3:25 am

jmac wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 8:01 pm
Sorry i have another question with this latest Pi 4 image. In this particular situation i am needing to use an LCD 4:3 monitor. When i select the video mode that is stated as "640x480p@60 (high res)" with the following custom timing settings: "hdmi_timings=640 1 56 66 70 480 1 6 9 30 0 0 0 60 0 26208000 1" (in config.txt) things work though the aspect ration and screen fill/location seems odd to me. I attached an image to show the result. What i am seeing is a square display size on the screen (not a 4:3 ratio) and the centering is off a bit. When i push an info button on this arcade LCD monitor it says the signal is "720x480x60hz".
It just occurred to me, but did you comment out the overscan left and right settings in config.txt? They should only be used for low res. Can't think of why else your monitor would report differing numbers to mine, unless it's just the monitors are different...

jmac
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jmac » Mon May 03, 2021 12:59 pm

I believe i did set the overscan settings to 0 as well as try commenting them out at one point. I played with a few things on and off throughout my experiments so i think i am going to reset to base image and try some things again to make sure my tests and results are well controlled. For documentation sake the LCD i am using in my experiments is this one (link below). There are probably a million different LCD displays out there and all of them i assume may be slightly different in various ways. I went with this one as it seemed like a good fit for replacing a fried CRT in a Jamma cabinet. I will take your advice on waiting to see if you come up with any different settings on your end before i try and lock anything in on my end here though will experiment a bit as it is helping me learn a little deeper which makes the hobby fun.

https://www.hollandcomputers.com/store/ ... 0p6003.htm

petkorazzi
Community Member
Community Member

Post by petkorazzi » Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm

Semi-random question while we're on the topic of screen resolutions and the Pi4/ARpiCADE 4.3 - can the two separate mini HDMI outputs be set for different output resolutions (i.e., one mini HDMI feeding the RaspberryJAMMA but the other mirror-feeding an LCD TV or capture card at 720 or some such)? Got a few ideas that could utilize this if it's possible.

Cjoli
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Cjoli » Mon May 03, 2021 5:18 pm

I ordered a cooling fan and heatsink in anticipation of trying to overclock the Pi4 in the future, I ordered this one because I thought it would be a simpler way to go with having to use the GPIO connection for the Arpicade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888 ... UTF8&psc=1

However it might have been more than it could handle power wise and it looks like I blew the fuse on the Arpicade. I need to order fuses, are these just 2amp pico fuses?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed May 05, 2021 1:18 am

petkorazzi wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:30 pm
Semi-random question while we're on the topic of screen resolutions and the Pi4/ARpiCADE 4.3 - can the two separate mini HDMI outputs be set for different output resolutions (i.e., one mini HDMI feeding the RaspberryJAMMA but the other mirror-feeding an LCD TV or capture card at 720 or some such)? Got a few ideas that could utilize this if it's possible.
Not as far as I'm aware. My experiments with using both outputs have been limited.

From discussions with other people in the past it seems like the best way may be to split the HDMI signal before the DAC. For it to work your capture gear needs to be able to deal with low res though.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed May 05, 2021 1:21 am

Cjoli wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 5:18 pm
I ordered a cooling fan and heatsink in anticipation of trying to overclock the Pi4 in the future, I ordered this one because I thought it would be a simpler way to go with having to use the GPIO connection for the Arpicade.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0888 ... UTF8&psc=1

However it might have been more than it could handle power wise and it looks like I blew the fuse on the Arpicade. I need to order fuses, are these just 2amp pico fuses?
May as well go to a 2.5A fuse while you're replacing it. Although 2A should do fine.

For a tiny fan to have that much power draw there may be an issue with it. I haven't used a dual fan before but the one fan based heatsink I have doesn't draw much power (or move much air to be honest...).

Cjoli
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by Cjoli » Thu May 06, 2021 12:01 am

Thanks, put a 2.5 amp fuse in and back up and running, I will pick up a different heatsink and fan and get the 5v from somewhere else.

On another note does anyone know if there is an easy way to pick the bois for all Neo Geo games vs going into the setting of each game? I know it could be done when I used to use FBA but now that I am using 172 I have to do each one, just want to set them all to US version.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed May 12, 2021 3:27 am

Cjoli wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:01 am
Thanks, put a 2.5 amp fuse in and back up and running, I will pick up a different heatsink and fan and get the 5v from somewhere else.

On another note does anyone know if there is an easy way to pick the bois for all Neo Geo games vs going into the setting of each game? I know it could be done when I used to use FBA but now that I am using 172 I have to do each one, just want to set them all to US version.
Glad you're up and running again.

It's possible to set the bios region from the command line (possibly not on all MAME versions, I'm not sure). With a little bit of extra logic in the launcher it could save doing each game manually, see the AdvMAME launcher for an example as it has a USA bios array in it already. Basically '-bios us' is added to the comand line. - I can add this to the launcher for the next release.