ARpiCADE 4.3 (for RPi4)

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: ARpiCADE 4.3 (for RPi4)

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 17, 2021 12:05 am

Firehawk wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 pm
Also how do I run naomi/atomiswave games? I know they don't run properly but just for some testing.
I downloaded some naomi/atomiswave games from mame 0229 pack and put them in the naomi folder. Also if rom needed I put the CHD folder in there with same name as rom but none of my roms boot.
dolphin.zip
ggx.zip
ikaruga.zip + folder
doa2m.zip
They should work, it may be a rom version issue, I'm not sure which MAME version the roms need to be from. I've had good luck with 172 roms.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 17, 2021 12:07 am

cool_factor wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:16 am
Sorry about that, here are the ones that run too fast:

rbtapper
startrek
tapper
ironhorse

noisy (pops/static):
astdelux

return to attract-mode after an attempt to load:

bogeyman (returns to AM)
Popeye (return to AM)
xsleena (return to AM)

Loads but acts odd like after coin up it still shows push start button:

mp_sonic and mp_sonic2

Last one:

Rampage - coins up but when you try to start game the games frames start to stack? Or move real slow frame by frame? Not sure how to explain this one.
Good info, thanks. I'll look into these later today (looking after sick kids at the moment). I know I've run some of these games... not sure if I played them though.

Hopefully I can figure out some of the surprise quirks.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 am

Ended up putting Astdelux, Popeye, mp_sonic and mp_sonic2 back into 106 and they seem fine. Everything else is working on either 172 or 230 using ROMs from a 231 ROMset. The PS issue was partially fixed by putting the BIOS file in the appropriate location, however... still showing the frames counting in upper right corner and the top of the image is curled (too big?) still. Some games on 172 load perfectly image wise, A few had curl up top (fixed by lowering the vertical stretch to anywhere from 800-900) and some too wide and slightly left. Most fixed by adjusting horizontal stretch to 950 and adjust width to about 18 using the sliders to move right and centered. LOTS of trial and error. 172 and 230 vector games very dim and needed lots of tweaking, no clue if I did it right, just played with brightness, contrast, gamma, and added .5 flicker. Tried astdelux in both and audio was horrible. Back in 106 for now. I've only got about 180-200 ROMs on this cab and its taken nearly 20-30 hours combined over this weekend to tweak. I couldn't even imagine people with 1000s of games....

SIDE NOTE: getting some gibberish on start up before the ArPiCade logo, flickering boot screen maybe as I can see a q scan code and a raspberry. Also after that I get some text about errors or something and expects to see 1627 lines and only seeing 1625? Happens so fast I can't fully read. Maybe I should change command line file from skip to repair? ( ie cmdline.txt changed fdsk from repair to skip) I don't mind a little longer start up if it will repair itself.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 17, 2021 6:04 am

cool_factor wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 11:16 am
Sorry about that, here are the ones that run too fast:

rbtapper
startrek
tapper
ironhorse

noisy (pops/static):
astdelux

return to attract-mode after an attempt to load:

bogeyman (returns to AM)
Popeye (return to AM)
xsleena (return to AM)

Loads but acts odd like after coin up it still shows push start button:

mp_sonic and mp_sonic2

Last one:

Rampage - coins up but when you try to start game the games frames start to stack? Or move real slow frame by frame? Not sure how to explain this one.

These all worked in 3.x.1 and were in 106. I have a 172 ROMset and used those for this build. I did not just move the 106 ROMs. I used the Italian Arcade database to compare and verify ROM file sizes and requirements.

UPDATE: revised list and removed what was my fault (spelling errors). Trying all of the above in 230 with 231 ROMS. Will report back....
OK, the fix for the unthrottled games is easy. Turns out I'd removed the throttle command from the low res horizontal logic in /boot/launchers/mame172.sh, adding
-throttle
to the one set of options that doesn't have it will fix it.

I didn't have bogeyman ready to go, have to add it to test. Can confirm Popeye has the same segfault issue as 1942, still no idea why. Xain'D sleenA works for me in 172, I don't know the game to comment on if it has issues - seems OK from what I saw... Not sure if it needs a bios or you have a rom version issue or something else going on, I tested after fixing the throttle so it could have somehting to do with it too maybe...

mp_sonic games both had the start button set wrong for me and needed to be set in the MAME menu for that game... Sonic 2 I had the credit and press start text left on screen after starting but not in Sonic 1, weird bug that... it also happens in 203. I don't have newer mp roms to test in the latest MAME. AdvMAME may be the best choice for MegaPlay stuff

Not sure what you mean with Rampage, it seemed OK to me except for the odd audio pop that can be removed by adjusting the fps slider to 29. Are you using the default low res mode or the 240p only mode? I can test it again at 240p, maybe it makes a difference for originally 480i games. No idea what we're doing differently here.

I have Asteroids Deluxe in AdvMAME so I must have agreed with you on the audio issues (or I ran into some other problem) with 172 and later.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 17, 2021 6:13 am

cool_factor wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 2:49 am
Ended up putting Astdelux, Popeye, mp_sonic and mp_sonic2 back into 106 and they seem fine. Everything else is working on either 172 or 230 using ROMs from a 231 ROMset. The PS issue was partially fixed by putting the BIOS file in the appropriate location, however... still showing the frames counting in upper right corner and the top of the image is curled (too big?) still. Some games on 172 load perfectly image wise, A few had curl up top (fixed by lowering the vertical stretch to anywhere from 800-900) and some too wide and slightly left. Most fixed by adjusting horizontal stretch to 950 and adjust width to about 18 using the sliders to move right and centered. LOTS of trial and error. 172 and 230 vector games very dim and needed lots of tweaking, no clue if I did it right, just played with brightness, contrast, gamma, and added .5 flicker. Tried astdelux in both and audio was horrible. Back in 106 for now. I've only got about 180-200 ROMs on this cab and its taken nearly 20-30 hours combined over this weekend to tweak. I couldn't even imagine people with 1000s of games....

SIDE NOTE: getting some gibberish on start up before the ArPiCade logo, flickering boot screen maybe as I can see a q scan code and a raspberry. Also after that I get some text about errors or something and expects to see 1627 lines and only seeing 1625? Happens so fast I can't fully read. Maybe I should change command line file from skip to repair? ( ie cmdline.txt changed fdsk from repair to skip) I don't mind a little longer start up if it will repair itself.
Will look into the PS stuff.

Not sure re. the startup text, it sounds like you may be seeing the onboard firmware BIOS screen. It's hard to be certain though. All I see is black until the ARpiCADE logo. I haven't seen the firmware on my Pis since updating their firmware (my 3 Pi4s are all from the original release batch, the 2 gig actually needed to be updated to work right...).

I don't know the 1627 lines error you're seeing, I wish it wasn't fast as I'm very curious now. Not sure if changed back to repair will fix it up for you but it may cause the error to stay on screen long enough to be read properly.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon May 17, 2021 11:45 am

best I could do on capturing error (ignore the ceiling fan)

PM me your email and I'll send the short vid so you can see it real time.
Attachments
error3.png
error3.png (88.58 KiB) Viewed 3439 times
error2.png
error2.png (96.45 KiB) Viewed 3442 times
error.png
error.png (179.3 KiB) Viewed 3442 times

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm

Have not seen that error before. Cant say for sure if the fdsk change had anything to do with it but it could be related. Definately looks related to the root filesystem and is probably an idicator something is going or has gone awry with your SD card in some way... I'll have to do some research to do anything more than guess. Out of curiosity, what type of SD card are you using and is it new/old etc.?

PM'd

EDIT: try running e2fsck from the command line, hopefully if there is a problem with the EXT4 filesystem it will fix it.

Firehawk
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Firehawk » Mon May 17, 2021 3:24 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:05 am
Firehawk wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 pm
Also how do I run naomi/atomiswave games? I know they don't run properly but just for some testing.
I downloaded some naomi/atomiswave games from mame 0229 pack and put them in the naomi folder. Also if rom needed I put the CHD folder in there with same name as rom but none of my roms boot.
dolphin.zip
ggx.zip
ikaruga.zip + folder
doa2m.zip
They should work, it may be a rom version issue, I'm not sure which MAME version the roms need to be from. I've had good luck with 172 roms.
Thanks found working verions. Also Coolfactor.

If I press the service button on my cab I can do the rom scan. But I can't get out of the service menu without rebooting or shutting down. Is this normal or am I missing a button combination? I can add Full rom scan to favourites but where can I find this favourite menu?

Another question is when I play Dreamcast games it consist mostly of multiple files bins and cue for example. Arpicade shows the game then multiple time for every file. Is thery a way to hide the bin files for example?

Btw, I have to say Atomiswave/Naomi/Dreamcast runs very well. Better then Deathsmiles.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon May 17, 2021 4:47 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 12:42 pm
Have not seen that error before. Cant say for sure if the fdsk change had anything to do with it but it could be related. Definately looks related to the root filesystem and is probably an idicator something is going or has gone awry with your SD card in some way... I'll have to do some research to do anything more than guess. Out of curiosity, what type of SD card are you using and is it new/old etc.?

PM'd

EDIT: try running e2fsck from the command line, hopefully if there is a problem with the EXT4 filesystem it will fix it.
Sandisk Extreme A2 64GB

Side note: How do I get to a command line???

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 18, 2021 7:20 am

Firehawk wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 3:24 pm
If I press the service button on my cab I can do the rom scan. But I can't get out of the service menu without rebooting or shutting down. Is this normal or am I missing a button combination? I can add Full rom scan to favourites but where can I find this favourite menu?

Another question is when I play Dreamcast games it consist mostly of multiple files bins and cue for example. Arpicade shows the game then multiple time for every file. Is thery a way to hide the bin files for example?

Btw, I have to say Atomiswave/Naomi/Dreamcast runs very well. Better then Deathsmiles.
Rebooting to get back to the game menu from the service menu is normal. The service menu and the regular game menu are two sepperate instances of Attract-Mode.

I think you have to add a favourites display using Attract-Modes menu to use favourites.

You can hide stuff you don't want seen in the menu manually using a keyboard. When it's highlighted in the menu press 'e' for the edit menu, delete this game is one of the options - it only removes the menu entry and doesn't actually delete the game. Next time you scan the roms the entries you remove this way will reappear though. It's also possible to edit the game lists directly with a text editor.