ARpiCADE 4.3 (for RPi4)

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: ARpiCADE 4.3 (for RPi4)

Post by dee2eR » Wed May 12, 2021 3:41 am

Discovered a new bug today. Seems to be some combo of ARpiCADE 4.3, Daphne and Attract-Mode... doesn't happen on ARpiCADE 3.X or from the command line on 4.3 or with any other emulator as far as I've seen.

From Attract-Mode if you launch Daphne (I was using Dragons Lair, haven't tested others yet) it will work fine, then exit and relaunch and the game runs and you can hear it but not see it - just black screen. Seems to need a reboot to fix Daphne, everything except Daphne continues to work fine. Oddly if you run the Daphne launcher from the command line it works fine to exit and relaunch it so I'm really not sure whats going on there.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Wed May 12, 2021 5:56 pm

updating to a pi4 finally and transfer ROMS from 3.x over. What do I do with the 106 and 94 ROM folders? Where should ROMS from 94 go and I read we shouldnt use 106? Thats alot of games if I have to update them.

Firehawk
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Firehawk » Sat May 15, 2021 5:11 pm

Hello, I don't know if I can post it here or if I have to do it somwhere else. But I have trouble with Arpicade recognising mame roms.
On my PI3 I use mostly fba roms and that works fine. But when testing with my PI4 I read mame should run better and have more roms support.
For example I have MAME_2016_Arcade_Romsets it seems it's for mame 0.174

I have put these files in mame-174, also put them in mame-172 but same issue.
deathsml.zip
redearth.zip
redearthr1.zip
warzard.zip
warzardr1.zip
Als made 2 folders redearth and warzard and put the chd files in there.

When I boot the Pi4 I only see redearth get recognised the other roms not. When I boot it the screen goes black and comes back after a few seconds.

I have this issue a lot. I have a few mame packs. But mame is not really working for me.
MAME 0.203 Roms (Merged)
MAME_2016_Arcade_Romsets
MAME0.106-Reference-Set-ROMs-CHDs-Samples
MAME2003_Reference_Set_MAME0.78_ROMs_CHDs_Samples

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sun May 16, 2021 12:50 am

Few issues Ive noticed with pi4. Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 are in 078 and load but have a weird menu that pops up in lower left corner so fast I cant read it and a frame thats counting frames in upper right, says frames and the numbers after it keep climbing. Both MK 1 and 2. Playstation game nows asking for bios file for better emulation results? Genesis emulation same thing. Both also show the counting frames in upper left corner. a few roms that were perfect in 172 on 3.x.1 now are not in newest V4. They play way too fast. Like double speed. Ive also got a handful that wont load at all that were in 106 and I put them in 172 (found and compared them tocompatible roms for 172) is it ok to move less than 10 roms back into 106?

THANKS!!!!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 16, 2021 6:02 am

Firehawk wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:11 pm
Hello, I don't know if I can post it here or if I have to do it somwhere else. But I have trouble with Arpicade recognising mame roms.
On my PI3 I use mostly fba roms and that works fine. But when testing with my PI4 I read mame should run better and have more roms support.

deathsml.zip
redearth.zip
redearthr1.zip
warzard.zip
warzardr1.zip

When I boot the Pi4 I only see redearth get recognised the other roms not. When I boot it the screen goes black and comes back after a few seconds.

I have this issue a lot. I have a few mame packs. But mame is not really working for me.
MAME 0.203 Roms (Merged)
MAME_2016_Arcade_Romsets
CPS3 stuff is best in FBA at the moment. Use the nocd versions to save headaches.

Deathsmiles should be picked up by the scanner (not sure why it isn't), but you will probably need to run a very big overclock to have a good time with it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun May 16, 2021 6:17 am

cool_factor wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 12:50 am
Few issues Ive noticed with pi4. Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 are in 078 and load but have a weird menu that pops up in lower left corner so fast I cant read it and a frame thats counting frames in upper right, says frames and the numbers after it keep climbing. Both MK 1 and 2. Playstation game nows asking for bios file for better emulation results? Genesis emulation same thing. Both also show the counting frames in upper left corner. a few roms that were perfect in 172 on 3.x.1 now are not in newest V4. They play way too fast. Like double speed. Ive also got a handful that wont load at all that were in 106 and I put them in 172 (found and compared them tocompatible roms for 172) is it ok to move less than 10 roms back into 106?

THANKS!!!!
The Retroarch issues will be to do with me updating the RA binary but not editing the configs for all of the cores (I only had a few in use). All the pop ups can be removed by turning off the on screen display in the RA menus. I'll have to look into the console stuff, prob more setup changes needed (possibly need to update some cores too) - I've been concentrating on getting the arcade side running right... been a bit slack with the console side.

I've noticed a few games that run fast in 172 but haven't figured out why it's happening. Some games just arn't taking the throttle setting... hitting F10 while the game is running should fix it up but it won't save when you exit. What games did this happen to you with? The more I know the faster I'll figure it out, it's almost definately just a launcher/config logic fail on my part. Anything you feel runs better in 106 is fine to have there, not everything will run as well in 106 on 4.3 as it could on 3.X.1 though (most advmame stuff in 3.X will be rendering using the Dispmanx modded SDL 1.2 which is not available for Pi4).

If you have the roms MK 1 and 2 will be better in 172 than 078.

Not sure why some roms that really probably should work in 172 segfault... 1942 is the main one I can think of... no idea why it won't work in 172 at the moment. I assume this is similar to what you've encountered.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sun May 16, 2021 11:16 am

Sorry about that, here are the ones that run too fast:

rbtapper
startrek
tapper
ironhorse

noisy (pops/static):
astdelux

return to attract-mode after an attempt to load:

bogeyman (returns to AM)
Popeye (return to AM)
xsleena (return to AM)

Loads but acts odd like after coin up it still shows push start button:

mp_sonic and mp_sonic2

Last one:

Rampage - coins up but when you try to start game the games frames start to stack? Or move real slow frame by frame? Not sure how to explain this one.

These all worked in 3.x.1 and were in 106. I have a 172 ROMset and used those for this build. I did not just move the 106 ROMs. I used the Italian Arcade database to compare and verify ROM file sizes and requirements.

UPDATE: revised list and removed what was my fault (spelling errors). Trying all of the above in 230 with 231 ROMS. Will report back....

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sun May 16, 2021 4:08 pm

Sonic 1 and 2 better but sound issues.

Asteroids Deluxe still has noise as well as xsleena.

Firehawk
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Firehawk » Sun May 16, 2021 8:12 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 6:02 am
Firehawk wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:11 pm

deathsml.zip
redearth.zip
redearthr1.zip
warzard.zip
warzardr1.zip

MAME 0.203 Roms (Merged)
MAME_2016_Arcade_Romsets
CPS3 stuff is best in FBA at the moment. Use the nocd versions to save headaches.

Deathsmiles should be picked up by the scanner (not sure why it isn't), but you will probably need to run a very big overclock to have a good time with it.
Thanks in FBA I get it to work.
I notice when sometimes when I add Mame roms and I want to boot them I get a black screen and goes back to the menu after a few seconds. I pressed my service button and do a full rom scan and then a reboot and then the roms boot properly. Don't know it this is a bug or maybe my sd card or settings. Just something I noticed today.

Also how do I run naomi/atomiswave games? I know they don't run properly but just for some testing.
I downloaded some naomi/atomiswave games from mame 0229 pack and put them in the naomi folder. Also if rom needed I put the CHD folder in there with same name as rom but none of my roms boot.
dolphin.zip
ggx.zip
ikaruga.zip + folder
doa2m.zip

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sun May 16, 2021 11:47 pm

Firehawk..

That is normal behavior if you add ROMs to your existing gamelist. When you add more ROMs you have to scan them for the new gamelist to be created.