Fix It Felix Jr (from Wreck It Ralph) for RPi4 - version 2

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Fix It Felix Jr (from Wreck It Ralph) for RPi4 - version 2

Post by dee2eR » Tue Apr 19, 2022 11:36 pm

Here's a new v2 image for RPi4 setup for RaspberryJAMMA to use as a dedicated Fix It Felix Jr. It's basically a tweaked Twister OS lite, it's using Box86 and Wine to run the promo cab version of FIFJ.

The v2 release also uses the (I)Fix(ed)itFelixJr game launcher by Howard_Casto on The NEW Build Your Own Arcade Controls forum with permission, see: http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/st ... AboutIFIFJ. Many thanks and all credit to Howard_Casto for the improved launcher.

You need to add the game exe and Data folder to the fixitfelix folder on boot partition of the SD card, everything else should be automatic.

Default setup is for low res, 240p.

####

Fix It Felix Jr dedicated RPi image v2.

this is essentially a modified version of TwisterOS_lite setup purely for Fix It Felix Jr and intended for use with the RaspberryJAMMA JAMMA adaptor (AKA ArPiCade). It uses Linux, Wine and Box86 to run the game which was originally only for Windows. To make 240p full screen possible the (I)Fix(ed)itFelixJr game launcher by Howard_Casto on The NEW Build Your Own Arcade Controls forum is used with permission, see: http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/st ... AboutIFIFJ. (I)Fix(ed)itFelixJr also enables some extra settings like freeplay, high score saving and a cocktail mode (currently untested on this image). High score saving is unlikely to work unless the image is safely shut down from the OS prior to cab power off.

Default behaviour is to boot straight to FixItFelixJr. If required the game can be exited with the keyboard shortcut alt+F4. After exiting the game the (I)Fix(ed)itFelixJr settings menu will load automatically. The TwisterOS menubar will also load after exiting the game allowing access to the TwisterOS menus etc. in case they're required. If you want to reboot or properly shut down alt+F4 will open the power menu giving you options for rebooting, power off etc. once all programs have been exited (also using alt+F4 for each program).

As I cannot (legally) include the FixItFelixJr original gamefiles you will need to install them before use. The (I)Fix(ed)itFelixJr launcher files are already installed and do not need to be added.

If your monitor is rotated the wrong way change the rotation using the settings menu. After pressing the save settings option the program will close, alt+F4 and select reboot to make sure the changes are written to the SD card properly.

FIRST BOOT GAME INSTALLATION:
Fix It Felix Jr gamefiles go into /boot/fixitfelix/ - they will be installed automatically at first boot (first boot may take longer than usual). Required files include FixitFelix.exe and the data folder and it's contents. The installation process is only needed to be done once, files will be auto cleaned up as part of the install process.

SETUP:
The default settings are for 240p low res (vertical monitor). Edit /boot/config.txt for high res mode, only use the settings already in config.txt - don't forget to comment out the 3 lines used for low res mode. When changing from low to high res (or vice versa) you will probably also want to update the bootsplash to suit (see below).

OPTIONAL EXTRA OPTIONS:
++ UPDATE BOOT SPLASH IMAGE
To update the bootsplash put a suitable file into /boot/splash as splash.png - it will be installed automatically then auto reboot the system. 240p and 480p sample files are included in the folder. The bootsplash only displays for less than a second so you may not want to bother with it...

++ USE ORIGINAL EXE - high res only
For high res monitors only you can force use of the original exe rather than the (I)Fix(ed)itFelixJr launcher by creating an empty text file called original.txt in /boot/. ie. /boot/original.txt
NOTE: this setting has no effect when using low res settings.

++ DEDICATED GAME BOARD MODE
To force 'dedicated' mode (auto reboot in case the game crashes or after game exit), create the file: /boot/dedicated.txt

++ USE 5x horizontal scaling (default is 6x) - low res only
Create file /boot/5xscaling.txt

Enjoy! As always any feedback is welcome.
https://mega.nz/file/pwtlCBhA#79QB1w5fJ ... _xXo3kZ4MA
Last edited by dee2eR on Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: v2 release

buverman
Community Member
Community Member

Re: Fix It Felix Jr (from Wreck It Ralph) for RPi4

Post by buverman » Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:05 am

Any chance the base image was updated for 240p? This looks like a nice game, my monitors are SD res sadly.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:25 am

I can take another look at it... haven't done much more since this release as it didn't get much interest. There's a couple of DLLs I need to find to try the improved launcher version that may make low res a possibility, assuming the improved launcher works on RPi once I have those DLLs.

ridicrick
Observer
Observer

Post by ridicrick » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:28 am

Worked great! Just in time too since my felix computer crapped out on me in my cabinet. If you do a version that works with CRT please upload that as well! Great work!! :)

Kickman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Kickman » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:37 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:25 am
I can take another look at it... haven't done much more since this release as it didn't get much interest. There's a couple of DLLs I need to find to try the improved launcher version that may make low res a possibility, assuming the improved launcher works on RPi once I have those DLLs.
Can a low rez version be done please? Want to make a new dedicated cabinet to bring to arcade show at Cax next year, I really appreciate the help.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Sep 02, 2023 10:51 am

Had a bit of a go this morning. Made a little progress, I'm past the dll errors and into some new errors...

I will keep working on it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Fix It Felix Jr (from Wreck It Ralph) for RPi4 - version 2

Post by dee2eR » Fri Sep 29, 2023 8:24 am

I've updated the first post with the v2 release that adds low res support.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Fix It Felix Jr (from Wreck It Ralph) for RPi4 - version 2

Post by dee2eR » Mon Oct 30, 2023 7:43 am

I have realised a dll isn't installed properly on the image causing an issue with the controls.

To fix it you will need to grab the installer here: http://dragonking.arcadecontrols.com/si ... .php?id=78 and unzip it to /boot/fixitfelix/ - there's 2 files in the zip, a exe and a dll - just put them both in the fixitfelix folder (/boot/fixitfelix). Don't forget to safely remove/eject before pulling the SD card out of your PC.

Boot up with keyboard and mouse, exit FIFJ with alt+F4, wait for the settings menu to load and select joystick 1 in the FIFJ settings menu (even if you plan to use keyboard) - click save and it will save and exit the settings program, then use mouse to go to top left of screen and click 'Menu' then 'Terminal Emulator'. In the terminal type:
cd /boot/fixitfelix
wine Dx4vbInstall.exe
(a box will open with an install button, click the install button, do not select the 64bit version. - once installed close the window with alt+f4 or the mouse on the top right x - once back on the terminal type:)
sudo reboot
It should now be fixed and the inputs will be much more responsive. Big difference to how it plays. I'll probably do a new release with the fix but I want to check out improving the splash first.