ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

AstroCab
Community Member
Community Member

Re: ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Post by AstroCab » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:04 am

Anyone have the issue with attract mode loosing focus on mame172 after you exit a game?? (build 3.8)
It does not do it initially, only after i try the 4th or 5th game or so, when i exit the game, then i get presented with the console screen with the raspberry pi login, attract mode thus loses focus.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 11:27 am

I haven't experienced that or heard anyone else mention it before. Sounds like it's swapping to a new virtual terminal. Why it's doing it I have no idea. Has it just started happening or has it always done it with 3.8? or have you just noticed it?

AstroCab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by AstroCab » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:20 pm

Well it’s been there since i started testing with mame172
I should mention that the issue does not happen if i use the escape key on the keyboard to exit the game,then attract mode has no problem returning ro the attract menu
But when i press start 1 and 2 (esc) , then i have the issue after exiting a couple of times from a game, i recon about the 4th or 5th game exit
My keyboard i use is wireless, the button keys are all operated through the j-pac however all other emulators do not have the issue mame172 has..i am thinking perhaps mame172 uses another driver for the keyboard translation than advmame en the libretro cores?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:52 pm

it may be a Jpac thing. Would explain why nobody else has reported the issue.

Surprised keyboard works differently, Jpac just puts out a keyboard 'esc' for it's exit shortcut (as far as I'm aware).

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm

I have been delaying purchasing another ARpiCADE setup because of the Pi3 B+ update specifically... it sounds as if I can probably pull the trigger and purchase both the interface and the Pi3 B+?

Could you give a reasonable ETA as to when I'd be able to use the Pi3 B+?

And can you chime in as to if the small upgrade of the B+ would even affect any Capcom (through CPS3) game even in the slightest? I do believe even CPS3 games are running 100% at all times... no?

Just trying to determine if I should bother with the B+ or not...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

AstroCab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by AstroCab » Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:53 pm

think i found the issue with controls lost in advmame after switching back from a mame172 game
In mame172's mame.ini file i modified the following:

keyboardprovider "auto" -> "raw"

that seem to have solved it, more testing needed but so far so good :-)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:23 pm

FrizzleFried wrote:
Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:03 pm
I have been delaying purchasing another ARpiCADE setup because of the Pi3 B+ update specifically... it sounds as if I can probably pull the trigger and purchase both the interface and the Pi3 B+?

Could you give a reasonable ETA as to when I'd be able to use the Pi3 B+?

And can you chime in as to if the small upgrade of the B+ would even affect any Capcom (through CPS3) game even in the slightest? I do believe even CPS3 games are running 100% at all times... no?

Just trying to determine if I should bother with the B+ or not...
At the moment I'd say Pi3b+ is a very slight upgrade from the Pi3. For Capcom games I'm not sure there's any improvement to be found with it, as you say even CPS3 is at 100% (or very very close to 100%, I have heard a report one of the non SF3 CPS3 games may have some slowdown).

If you were wanting to run something more borderline like Taito F3 the Pi3b+ may be the little boost it needs.

The only thing holding up the software now is WiFi, for some reason it's working on Pi3 but not Pi3b+ on my current build. To be honest I'm pretty much ready to release it anyway as I've been banging my head into a wall over this update since the 3b+ came out. ETA for release is still unknown but call it within the week, it's pretty well ready.

If you're just about to buy a Pi you may as well grab 3b+ as they're the same price as a 3, if you absolutly need it running tomorrow grab a Pi3.

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Mar 31, 2018 4:48 pm

...I'm excited... my Pi 3 B+ and ARpiCADE (2nd one) will be arriving today!!

Now we just need dee2er's ISP to actually do some P'ing ...

EDIT: It's arrived and is currently getting a heat sink thermal-glued to the CPU... I'll do the same to the RAM on the back after the CPU glue dries...

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:38 pm

All dressed up and ready to go...

... it would be pretty awesome if I could managed 1595mhz with this... that would be a 33% increase over standard Pi3 clock of 1200mhz.

ARpiCADE_Pi3B+_1.jpg
ARpiCADE_Pi3B+_1.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 6576 times

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Fri Apr 06, 2018 4:04 pm

Any update on the ISP issue? Any ETA? I'm a patient guy but it's been hard sitting here looking at my $200 toy and not being able to play with it...

:D