ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:16 pm

Happy New Year! um, I mean software... It's ARpiCADE 3.8

No super new features to talk about, it's basically updates and bugfixes.

ARpiCADE 3.8 new features:

- MAME 0.192 replaces 0.181 (sorry to any diehard 181 fans, if you exist, it's gone)

- MAME 192 and 172 SDL2 passing program keyboard input to the terminal in the background bug fixed (hacked around)
(couldn't use the same fix for attract as it then breaks retroarch when launched from attract)

- new version of lr-MAME2003 (mame 078) with improvements to Midway DCS audio games

- Attract-Mode updated to version 2.3.0 (audio bug should be fixed too, for some reason the old version compiled without resampling enabled)

- general Linux system updates

- WiFi is now enabled by default (Pi3 is the only Pi with built in wifi, network settings need to be entered into /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf)

- editing /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf can now be done from the service menu - keyboard required

- ssh now enabled by default (all standard Raspbian ssh details including password apply, password is raspberry)
for more ssh info see here for Mac and Linux: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... sh/unix.md
OR here for Windows: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... windows.md
if your ssh shows no cursor try 'tput cnorm'

- improved auto configs

- updated instructions and MAME datfiles included in /boot/USER_GUIDE/

- a couple of extra Attract-Mode themes (compared to previous full release)

Just one file to download, it's 4.35GB and will need to be extracted with 7zip (or other software that can handle .7z) to extract a .img image for an 8 gig SD card.

https://mega.nz/#!VyBjXBbY!bxEBtrsxzSRK ... u95GM0fJmo

Enjoy!

ANOTHER EDIT: (first edit removed)
This is attempt the second at fixing up advmame config files, should fix the joystick configs for all advmame versions. This can go over 3.72, 3.8 or the "3.81" update (now taken offline) I put out yesterday.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=16qfj1 ... 2tMkjdrukS

just unzip and copy the contents to /boot/config-updater (you need both the update.sh script and the folder 3.811_fixupdate with all it's contents). The update can then be installed through the update option of the service menu.

EXTRA EDIT: rename the folder 3.811_fixupdate to 3811_fixupdate prior to running the update - I'll release a new full version download in the next few days with the update included in it.

Hey is that another EDIT:
3.811 as a downloadable image (doesn't require going through the update process above):
https://mega.nz/#!MzAFFQpS!_6saSpOYNti0 ... 9btAUOaUnQ

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:34 pm

This will be my first update.

#1 ... I don't want to lose my high scores.

#2 ... I don't want to lose my favorites "display".

What is the procedure to update properly while addressing #1 and #2 above?

Thanks!
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

1500points
Community Member
Community Member

Post by 1500points » Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Just discovered this forum. Cool.

I've installed this version but when I use Hi Res Vert or Hi Res Horiz, the arpicade menu stays in horizontal mode.
Is there a way to get the arpicade menu to display vertically, for the ArcadeSD theme.

Also, which ArcadeSD entry is the best one to use, I see several to choose from.

Using a Wells-Gardner flatpanel monitor.
Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:51 pm

FrizzleFried wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:34 pm
This will be my first update.

#1 ... I don't want to lose my high scores.

#2 ... I don't want to lose my favorites "display".

What is the procedure to update properly while addressing #1 and #2 above?

Thanks!
It would all just happen on an update to an existing image but as this is a full image to do so you would need to copy the high score files (each emulator will have it's own) and the favorites (list? - not sure as I haven't tried the favourites fuctions - whatever the case it will be in the /home/pi/.attract folder somewhere) from your old build to your new build.

I've never considered automating/assisting copying user generated content accross before. That would be a good feature in future I'll have to look into it.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:00 am

1500points wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:26 pm
I've installed this version but when I use Hi Res Vert or Hi Res Horiz, the arpicade menu stays in horizontal mode.
Is there a way to get the arpicade menu to display vertically, for the ArcadeSD theme.

Also, which ArcadeSD entry is the best one to use, I see several to choose from.
Try SDarcadeMod_v2 as it's the latest and most configurable version, it won't hurt to use a different version though.

With the exception of the v2 version of the SDarcade theme they're all vertical only themes. For v2 you can set the orientation (and a bunch of other things) using the layout options in attracts tab menus. Different themes have different layout options.
[tab] -> displays -> all games -> layout options

Matt68061
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Matt68061 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:35 am

This may be a silly question... but what the heck..

To turn on the wifi; do I just delete the asteriks and add my wifi id and password?

Anything else that needs to be done. And then after I do that...I presume it will always be on, or rather, found on my network.

What should I enter to turn it off?

Is this configurable within windows? Just curious.

Great stuff as usual Dylan...this just gets better and better!

Sidenote...on this site/post went to attach a pic but het the message 'img file too large'. Is there a way to do this here?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:03 am

WiFi is not configurable from windows, unfortunately the file is in an inaccessable location. In hindsite I should have made it a symlink to a file on /boot (now I feel a bit silly for not thinking of that).

To do it from your cab you will need to boot with a keyboard. Navigate to the service menu, select the WiFi option and then enter your info inside the quotes. One is for the ssid (network address) and the other is psk (password). Not sure what you mean by delete the asterisks but the rest of the file should be left alone just add the relevant info.

If you clear out your info from the same file it will be 'turned off' (it won't connect anymore but will still actually be on).

To actually disable WiFi again as it was in earlier releases edit the file /etc/modprobe.d/raspi-blacklist.conf and remove the hashes before the 2 wifi lines.

Matt68061
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Matt68061 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:12 am

Thanks, thats why I was trying to add the picture...I have no quotes...here is what I have exactly;

network={
ssid=****
psk=****
}

The ssid and psk lines are tabbed over about 10 spaces from the left...will not do that when I submit this message...if it matters. I am wondering if I need to delete the asteriks and type in my network info....

I cant seem to get it to come up on my network. As usual I am probably doing something wrong that is amazingly simple :D

Have a good one!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:12 am

Well that's odd, if you replace the asterisks with the relevant info in quotes " it should work. Are you editing on the pi? My file has no asterisks, just the quotes with no details in them - I don't understand how it's changed to asterisks.
This is the whole file:
network={
ssid=""
psk=""
}

Matt68061
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by Matt68061 » Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks again... yes, it was a fresh DL from the Mega site yesterday. Doing it right on pi.

Will keep you posted.

Looks like great upgrades here.