ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Post by wboy » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:00 pm

Sounds good. Would love to test it out. Please Upload!

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:32 am

Hi dee2eR,

Just a quick recommendation to make the following edit to the top of the /boot/run.sh shell script for the next release.

I always remote ssh into ARpiCADE over Wi-Fi to make quick tweaks to the config files etc. and this saves me pressing Ctrl+C every time to kill the rom scanning process & the remainder of the run.sh script.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash

# Exit run.sh if not being executed from the main console/connected arcade monitor
if [ $(tty) != "/dev/tty1" ]; then exit; fi

# Setup dispmanx for clean advmame & daphne video output this version of SDL is modified to output for
Please use a better or more reliable method if you know of one, but works as expected from my quick tests.

Thanks!

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:58 am

Another recommendation is you consider adding the mlocate package to the stock image. At a terminal shell it allows you to use updatedb to create a list of all files on the SD card and then search for files or folder names using locate.

pi@arpicade:~ $ sudo apt install mlocate
pi@arpicade:~ $ sudo updatedb
pi@arpicade:~ $ locate mame.ini
/home/pi/.config/retroarch/cores/lr-mame2010/mame.ini
/home/pi/.mame078/mame.ini
/home/pi/.mame078/mame.ini.bak
/home/pi/.mame078/mame.ini.lowResHori
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini.hiResHori
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini.lowResHori
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini.lowResVert
/home/pi/mame192/mame.ini
/home/pi/mame192/mame.ini.bak
pi@arpicade:~/mame172 $ locate mame.ini | xargs grep "waitvsync"
/home/pi/.mame078/mame.ini:waitvsync                 0
/home/pi/.mame078/mame.ini.bak:waitvsync                 0
/home/pi/.mame078/mame.ini.lowResHori:waitvsync                 0
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini:waitvsync                 1
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini.hiResHori:waitvsync                 0
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini.lowResHori:waitvsync                 0
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini.lowResVert:waitvsync                 0
/home/pi/mame172/mame.ini.save:waitvsync                 1
/home/pi/mame192/mame.ini:waitvsync                 0
/home/pi/mame192/mame.ini.bak:waitvsync                 0
It's a little bit like the Windows GUI version of voidtool's Search Everything. An awesomely powerfully application for those that don't know if it... https://www.voidtools.com

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:54 am

Good suggestions wboy. Hadn't heard of mlocate before it looks very useful. Thanks

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:15 am

The package htop is pretty useful and lightweight too if you ssh in while running a game to get the CPU load (F5 to sort).

glances is cool too but a lot more dependencies/size an not really worth it if you're just quickly assessing the CPU load. htop does that more than adequately.

wboy 0.172 for example has the RPi 3's CPU running at 70% of its stock capacity.

Don't forget to upload that 0.145 binary you have. Very keen to put it through it's paces. Thanks.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm

MAME 0.146.5 armhf:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1128xE ... I6qEK74oYu
good luck, I'm sure there's some reason we're not all using it already but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was.

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:14 am

Just gave it a quick twirl. Hijacked the 0192 folder effectively.

Recreated the config with mame -cc and compared it to what was supplied with the .tar.gz and the basis of ARpiCADEs settings... the paths more than anything.

Altered the launcher to comment out the non supported -intscalex etc. No luck. Tried it outside attract-mode.

Returns segment fault no matter what rom I try. Probably failing to initiate the video? 1942 in 0.172 throws a similar warning... but does even in the windows equivalent mame release, which at least gives a bit more of a failure dump that the one liner you get on linux. Oh well... one to play with another time (if ever). Did you ever get it to run a game off a Pi 2 or 3?

Read that BGFX was introduced with 0.170 or 0.171 which greatly assisted performance on other platforms like the pi. Guess that means ARpiCADE's 0.172 could be around for a long while. Hope to one day compile and earlier release like 0.164 to see how it does compare pre the BGFX era.

Have compiled some of the recent releases with some success. Can you confirm what you use when you make mamearcade?

Used this initially but get Qt5 errors to the console I've noticed... (game still runs ok)

make -j5 NOWERROR=1 SUBTARGET=arcade
Now trying this... but its still compiling as I post...

make -j5 NOWERROR=1 SUBTARGET=arcade NO_X11=1 NO_OPENGL=1
Thanks again

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 pm

I just use
make -j5 SUBTARGET=arcade
for the current MAME versions (and the supression patch). Not sure if it's the case with MAME but I manually specify GCC and G++ versions when compiling some things as Raspbian defaults to version 4 (? without looking it up) which is too early, GCC-6.2 (I think without looking it up) is installed and works if you specify it manually. I also have a swap file as shown here: https://choccyhobnob.com/raspberry-pi/c ... pberry-pi/
anything that goes wrong during compiling I fix as I go. Usually if something goes wrong it's my own stupidity like running out of memory due to poor prep on my part. Always painful to have to start again due to something like that considering the time compiling full MAME takes on Pi.

146.5 segfaulting may be why it didn't get used, I'm not even sure if I compiled that one or someone else. I can't really remember the details, I've tried too many MAMEs on Pi.

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:21 pm

Thanks for that. Was already using my that link for my initial compiles.

Seems to handle 0.180 up no issue. Though I think it'll need GCC or SDL version tweaks for 0.179 and earlier.

Last night I spotted the suppression patches from here... http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.p ... 298.0.html

Are these the ones you use (stops at 0.178)?

I used to do all this yonders ago when setting up my Win98 MAME 0.67 setup. Slowly coming back to me (. . . s l o w l y . . .). I even use to make my own token IF logic line additions that would only allow you to ESC a game or bring up the TAB menu when MAME was paused... ah the memories! :D

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:42 pm

http://mamestuff.lowtrucks.net/MKChamp/

it's linked to in the post you linked. OzFalcon seems to have taken over from MKChamp doing the patches, probably why that post isn't updated further by MKChamp.

OzFalcon also provided the custom 176 backports patch that's used on 172 in ARpiCADE. (thanks again OzFalcon)