ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: ARpiCADE 3.8 Release!

Post by wboy » Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:27 pm

Many thanks for that! Stupidly I think I glanced over that site the other night but didn't stop and think that the suppression prefixed files where effectively the same thing.... too impatient... or is that stupid... :?

Here is that post that I referred to re 0.171 / BGFX... and better Pi hardware assisted rendering... though not sure how relevant or more beneficial with ARpiCADE & RaspberryJAMMA as I guess the lower/native res modes run definitely help mame etc shine performance wise.

https://nowhereman999.wordpress.com/201 ... erry-pi-2/

May benchmark it myself one day if I work out how to compile the older releases.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:36 pm

Just updated to 3.811 and I had the same audio delay.

Edited the device_sound sdl attribute and all seems to be working as expected.

I'm using primarily advancemame for all my shmups with the exception of a couple that's using the FBA emulator (ie. all the cave games, I'll run using FBA)

Overall, been very happy with this unit.

AstroCab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by AstroCab » Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:23 pm

I tried the 3.81 image today and i must say i am impressed with the image quality! Must be one of the best i have seen so far !
However ,there is something i dont quite get, when i select 240p hozontal only, the horizontal games in advmame and fba ( only just tested using these 2 ) are displayed really well ,nothing short of amazing really, but when i launch a shmup under this setting (240p horz only script from service menu attract) i see the image gets stretched to full screen?
When i first booted my cab with the default 3.811 image settings ,this did not happen but then the resolution was not 240p and the screen was flickering a lot,( interlaced?)
So basically what i want to know is if there is a way/setting to play both horizontal games (like ghouls n ghosts ) and vertically oriented shmups( not filling the screen so no horizontal stretch) or is this image build around “either one or the other both not both”
I really like this build ..not too much fancy stuff and boots fast,also love what y did with making the rom partition accessible via fat that’s just awesome and super practical and the scanlines are just right! 2 thumbs up 8-)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:53 am

When you're in 240p only mode there's not enough lines to display (most) titles accurately rotated. For instance if you look at Street Fighter 2 it's resolution is 384x224 so when displayed rotated on a vertical 240p screen you're trying to fit 384 pixel wide picture on 240 available lines (144 pixel wide lines will have to be discarded). 480i has enough space to make rotated games work, 240p not so much so I have spent less time on configs for rotated games on 240p. You may find trying different emulators helps get a result you're more happy with but at 240p (most) rotated games will be compromised in one way or another no matter what you do.

Some games can be made to look good rotated on 240p, some (most?) can't.

AstroCab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by AstroCab » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:39 pm

thanks for the reply Deezer, i believe you're probably right but i will give it a go anyway under 240p and let you know if i can come up with something usefull

AstroCab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by AstroCab » Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:57 pm

Hi Deezer,

instead of focussing on the "resolutions-issue" i just found the solution to something else that was bugging me, namely the displaying of joystick movements in the console after launching a rom in attract mode

I was finally able to find a real easy fix for this by editing the /boot/run.sh script in the following way:

# Load Attact-Mode
stty -echo
attract >/dev/null 2>&1

so basically, you just need to add the "stty -echo" command and that solves it.

I should specify that i use a j-pac for the controls, and the J-pac makes use of keyboard inputs so maybe your GPIO inputs do not have this specific issue but if you should try it with a J-pac, then you will.
Thought it was worth a post ;-)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:41 pm

Only an issue with keyboard input and not with RaspberryJAMMA but it's fixed in the next release.

If you have trouble with the terminal after exiting Attract with your current run.sh solution add:
stty sane
after the line that launches Attract-Mode to make the terminal work again.

AstroCab
Community Member
Community Member

Post by AstroCab » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:30 am

Anyone else have choppy sound with lr-fba-next?
i have crackled and chopped sound in lr-fba-alpha with latest image 3.8
i have adjusted the fba_libretro_224.cfg file (testing with samurai shodown for now) to match the audio driver sdl and sample rate 44100 butit still choppy and crackles.
I have tried it from HDMI audio out and from jack but the same happens on both.
Could this be a latency (currently at 64ms) issue or something?
not sure how to troubleshoot this .. :?

edit: It only seems to happen with neogeo games (samurai shodown heavyily chopped-up sound)
edit2: DJ boy also has the sound choppyness (heavy)
i tried to run retroarch from command and logging the output but do not see anything there that is indicating an issue either, using FBA romset 2.97.39 with SDL2 audio and 44100 samplerate..

stumped here..

MV8800
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MV8800 » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 am

Question: In v3811, in the \ROMS directory, I don't see '\advmame'. Do I just dump them in 192?
advmame.PNG
advmame.PNG (26.68 KiB) Viewed 6130 times

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:23 am

mame-106 is the advmame set so use that folder for advmame.