ARpiCADE_5 beta - for Pi4 or Pi5.

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

ARpiCADE_5 beta - for Pi4 or Pi5.

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 20, 2023 8:56 am

Pi5 software is here! Also works on Pi4.

There's a lot of things that have changed from earlier ARpiCADE releases. For the first time ARpiCADE is using X11 and KMS instead of the console/frame buffer, also using keyboard emulation for inputs for the first time due to a bug with RaspiOS/DKMS stopping the joystick driver from working (this also means I've had to do the hotkey shortcuts in a new way). At the moment it's arcade games only. Also currently only low res is supported, 240p is the default but it is also posible to optionally use 480i for menus, rotated games etc (it's had more testing in the 240p only mode). For Pi4 users, if you had a Pi4 that could not do 480i on ARpiCADE_4 you will be able to use 480i with ARpiCADE_5 if you like (one plus of having to redo the res switching).

MAME 0.172
MAME 0.251
Hypseus Singe (in place of Daphne)
Supermodel (Model 3)
Flycast (Naomi,Atomiswave and Naomi2) - Naomi 2 is using standalone, otherwise its the RA core.
lr-MAME-2003-plus
Support for Donut Dodo RPi version, (it's well worth the price even if you only play it a few times)

and under Box86 and WINE:
Model 2 emulator
Preliminary support for Fix It Felix (currently buggy when using the launcher needed for 240p, unfortunately - I think I've missed a WINE component...) - includes the (I)Fix(ed)ItFelix wrapper by Howard Casto

Attract-Mode forntend, boot splash & loading screens, auto rom scanning at startup (can be turned off in the service menu), preliminary automated res switching 240/256/288 lines @ various refresh rates and optionally 480i. Attract-Mode is set up with a theme that is readable at 240p (hori or vert). Press both start buttons to return to menu, the long hold from earlier ARpiCADE versions is not yet implemented (or any other hotkeys).

Bugs I'm aware of:
Hypseus works in 240p but in 480i is broken.
FIFJ inputs are essentially unplayable if using the launcher required for low res.

To come:
The service menu isn't complete
the four player adaptor is not yet supported. It will be in the future. (this isn't a bug, I just haven't done it yet, sorry for 4 player cab users)
console emulators
high res option(s, maybe)
more work on the res switching
improvement to hotkeys (only exit game at the moment)
will probably change MAME 251 for a newer release

Link:
https://mega.nz/file/AkMWhQyL#iGkqryy_x ... mHkbRJDYA4
it'l fit on a 8gig card but you will almost definately want a larger one. Follow the @FrizzleFried intructions for resizing your SD card if you need to: https://idahogaragecade.com/2018/02/02/ ... ory-cards/

No instructions (yet) but it works like ARpiCADE, just add roms and go. Use the setup menu for monitor rotation options etc. If you want to boot straight to a game add it to run.sh as on other releases.

Special note for Pi5 users: you will need the Pi5 active cooler (or similar) or the ribbon cable will heat up and create instability issues when running via JAMMA edge. Actual power use is similar to Pi4, the 2.5A fuse should be fine (if you still have an early model 1A fuse from many years ago you will need to upgrade the fuse - all RaspberryJAMMAs have had 2.5A fuses for years now if you bought it anytime in the last few years you are fine).

Pi4 users may want to use this release, it is already better than ARpiCADE_4 in some ways, but if you use a lot of AdvMAME or consoles keep running the older software for now. AdvMAME is crap on Pi5, at least in my testing so far, so I haven't included it - it's not really needed anymore anyway as far as I can tell, I may add it again as an option for Pi4 users in a later release. Model 2, Model 3 and Naomi 2 won't perform great on Pi4 (some model 3 may be OK, not all).

As always I welcome any and all feedback. This is a beta release so there may be some bugs etc.
Enjoy!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: ARpiCADE_5 beta - for Pi4 or Pi5.

Post by dee2eR » Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:04 am

Basic Pi5 rom advice:
use MAME 0.251 for most stuff, try 172 after that.
MAME 172 is good for PS1 based arcade boards and late model CAVE.
MAME 078/MAME 2003plus is good for Killer instinct 1 and 2 and Virtua Fighter (1)

I haven't found a good emulator for NFL BLitz, unfortunately it'l run but not fullspeed. It's possibly overclocking could help but I haven't tried. Also yet to figure out a STV emulator.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon Jan 15, 2024 1:36 pm

I've got 2 Pi5 4gb on the way w/active coolers. Unfortunately I'll probably wait until a non-beta version is available, too time consuming redoing everything. Cant wait to get these going...

RaMpAgE_3007
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by RaMpAgE_3007 » Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:17 am

Nice, I'll give it a crack on my Pi4, good work, much appreciated.

my3awds
Observer
Observer

Post by my3awds » Tue Feb 06, 2024 4:13 pm

Does this image for the Pi5 work well enough on the arpicade jamma adapter for a CGA arcade cab ? The emulator-list for this release looks like it supports the games I've been trying to get working for a while on multiple competitor jamma adaptors. Killer Instinct 1&2, Naomi (mvcs2) and CPS 1-3 (sfiii3s etc) I'm hoping I can get working well on one single image.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:26 pm

It's still early days but Pi5 works well so far. All the games you mentioned play well, no problem having them all on one image.

Not sure if anyone else has tried it on a Pi5 yet but hopefully someone will soon so it's not just me...

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:39 pm

Ive got 2 Pi5s, hesitant to create 2 new builds unless when the Beta turns to a Final its as easy as just an upgrade script and not a complete new install... Too time consuming...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Fri Feb 09, 2024 2:21 am

That's sensible enough. I'm planning to resize the root partition before the full release so it's very good odds it won't just be a update to the beta release... needs more space for emulators to add consoles.

Olaf
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Olaf » Tue Feb 13, 2024 7:35 pm

I have very bad sound with my Pi4, it is very, very quiet.
With other versions(Arpicade_4)is the sound is ok.
Does anyone else have the same problems here?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:07 am

Thanks for the feedback. Is it just low volume or both low vol and low quality? I will check it out.