ARpiCADE 3.82 Release!

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

Fragger666
Community Member
Community Member

Re: ARpiCADE 3.82 Release!

Post by Fragger666 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 pm

segaman wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am
I just noticed the game bubble bobble lost cave is blank on the games list, when I click the blank area the game will boot, any suggestions please how to show the title in the games list please

Hi, i had the same issue.
File should be named "boblcave.zip".
Bubble Bobble: Lost Cave V1.2 ROM.

Hope this will resolve the issue
Last edited by Fragger666 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fragger666
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Fragger666 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:37 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:04 am
Audio sync to ON should fix it, did you exit and reload the game after changing the setting? (not sure if that setting can be changed on the fly)

Earlier in this thread (page 2 or 3) others posted that all they needed was audio sync ON.

Thank you for the reply.
I tried that (audio sync on) an it worked on the "old" pi3b. Since i upgraded to the b+ the screen stutters way more than before and the audio "warble" got worse, even if audio sync is set to on.
Everything else is running a bit better than before (for example street fighter 3). I will try a brand new SD-Card, maybe i dit something wrong at some point.

ArPiUser
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ArPiUser » Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 am

dee2eR wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 2:04 am
It's to do with the waitvsync/syncrefresh options in the ini file. I'm playing around with options at the moment but the best answer would be to try and add a 61.5hz video mode to it all. Alternatly I will add an extra bit of logic to the launcher to make outside case refresh rates run with slightly different settings.

By changing the following options in /home/pi/mame172/mame.ini you can make qbert stop popping (but probably by making other things less good)
throttle 1
waitvsync 0
syncrefresh 0

EDIT:
what setup are people with audio problems in 172 running? The better way to fix this would be in the launchers as then games that run at (or near enough to) their original refresh rates can still be accurate. On a horizontal monitor setup I fixed Qbert by editing the launcher /boot/launchers/mame172.sh and editing the vertical game on horizontal monitor options to add:
-nowaitvsync -nosyncrefresh -throttle to the existing command
I too am having audio problems with 172 and 192. There is also a lag in performance in gameplay especially when playing a two player cooperative game in "Cocktail" mode in which the screen is split in two and mirrored so that two players can play the same game together on a cocktail (vertical) table.

Works: Audio good and no discernible performance lag
Used as a standalone (not in cabinet) - Audio coming out of amplified speaker
172/192
ARpiCADE 3.82
Throttle set to 1, Waitvsync set to 0, Syncefresh left at 0 (set in name.ini file for 172 and 192).
VGA LCD 4 x 3 display (vertical mode)
Pi3B
HDMI to VGA adapter w/separate audio mini stereo plug. Audio plugged from HDMI adapter audio port into external amplified speakers.
No lag in performance and no audio warble/lag.

Does Not Work: Audio warble/lag and performance lag
Used in vertical cocktail table using Raspberry Jamma board and cabinet Jamma harness.
172/192
ARpiCade 3.82
RaspberryJamma Board connected to Jamma harness with audio coming out of cabinet speakers.
Audio coming out of supplied DAC and into Raspberry Jamma board via mini stereo (aux) cable.
Throttle set to 1, Waitsync set to 0, Syncefresh left at 0 (set in name.ini file for 172 and 192).
VGA LCD 4 x 3 display (vertical mode)
Lag in performance and bad audio warble/lag.

The only real difference is that the Raspberry Jamma is being used and the audio is coming out of speakers in cabinet.

I also tried this exact configuration except that instead of plugging audio cable from DAC to Raspberry Jamma Board I connected directly to an external amplified speaker. Same audio lag/warble.

I also tried same configuration but instead of using supplied DAC and VGA connection I used a Moshi HDMI to VGA with separate audio mini stereo (aux) connection to external amplified speaker. Same audio lag/warble.

This audio problem is specific to 172 and 192 because I don't have the audio problems (with the exception of a few games) using 106 or FBA or even 078 when using the Raspberry Jamma board and going through the supplied DAC and using internal cabinet speakers.

The reason why I want to use 172/192 is because I want the "Cocktail" mode for 2 player coop games in split/mirror mode. I also want support for usb trackball and usb spinner.

Tried getting the USB trackball to work in 106 but have not been successful although I do have it working in 172/192.

Tried updating the .rc file for Advmame (setting mouse to 1 instead of 0) but that hasn't done the trick for getting the usb trackball to work.

Performance lag in 172/192 is still there regardless of whether I am playing in single screen mode or dual screen split/mirrored (cocktail) mode when using Raspberry Jamma Board. This performance problem is not there when in standalone mode (without Raspberry Jamma Board).

Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to be very specific about what I am using and what I have tried so far.

BTW - love the product, support and this forum. I've learned a lot just from CAREFULLY reading the posts.

Questions:

1. How to solve audio problem performance lag in 172/192
2. How to get usb trackball working in 106 (Advmame)
3. How to get spinner (Griffin USB) to work in Advmame or 172/192

segaman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by segaman » Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:13 pm

Fragger666 wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:27 pm
segaman wrote:
Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:29 am
I just noticed the game bubble bobble lost cave is blank on the games list, when I click the blank area the game will boot, any suggestions please how to show the title in the games list please

Hi, i had the same issue.
File should be named "boblcave.zip".
Bubble Bobble: Lost Cave V1.2 ROM.

Hope this will resolve the issue
Thanks for that mate, worked like a charm.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 am

ArPiUser wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 am
BTW - love the product, support and this forum. I've learned a lot just from CAREFULLY reading the posts.

Questions:

Damnit just lost a huge reply.... stupid browser....

1. There shouldn't be a difference between the 2 setups, all you are bypassing is audio and video amps on the RaspberryJAMMA. Are you using the same SD card on both setups? With the same settings they should be the same.

2. It should 'just work' assuming your USB device is following the USB standards. It's setup for Opti-Wiz by default as that's what I have but Opti-PAC is also reported as working. What hardware are you using? It may be just a setting issue (see next point).

3. I'm guessing this is a device order problem. As the default setup is for one mouse and you will technically have at least two it may be a case of the spinner is mouse 2 and MAME is only setup for mouse 1 or something similar. I would recommend unplugging the other USB trackball device if you haven't had the spinner working an a Pi at all before. Only running one mouse will simplify troubleshooting, you may even find as the only device it 'just works' and you can then fiddle the device orders to get both mouse devices working.

I feel like I wrote all this clearer the first time, please let me know if this isn't clear. Hopefully it helps.

segaman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by segaman » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:42 am

Fragger666 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Hello,

first of all this piece of hard- and software is awesome. Received my board two days ago an love it. I updated to the latest release and want to share the following issues i found so far:
• Super Nintendo - no sound and can't select anything in the menu with the 4 Buttons i have at the moment
• Playstation - display stretched (only 2/3 visible in 15khz)

Things i would like to know:
• wifi setup (example how a working screen would look like would be awesome)
• would a network cable also work instead of wifi?
• where to put the intro.mp4 in order to let it play at startup?
• will the audio issues ("warble-audio" in neo-geo etc.) fixed in the next update ("AUDIO SYNC" is set to "OFF" by default)?

I really appreciate the work and time you all invest to make this already awesome thing even better.
I am having the same problem with the PlayStation games and no sound on snes games, I can operate the snes games as my cab had 6 buttons.

ArPiUser
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ArPiUser » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:44 am
ArPiUser wrote:
Sat Jul 07, 2018 1:51 am

Questions:

Damnit just lost a huge reply.... stupid browser....

1. There shouldn't be a difference between the 2 setups, all you are bypassing is audio and video amps on the RaspberryJAMMA. Are you using the same SD card on both setups? With the same settings they should be the same.

2. It should 'just work' assuming your USB device is following the USB standards. It's setup for Opti-Wiz by default as that's what I have but Opti-PAC is also reported as working. What hardware are you using? It may be just a setting issue (see next point).

3. I'm guessing this is a device order problem. As the default setup is for one mouse and you will technically have at least two it may be a case of the spinner is mouse 2 and MAME is only setup for mouse 1 or something similar. I would recommend unplugging the other USB trackball device if you haven't had the spinner working an a Pi at all before. Only running one mouse will simplify troubleshooting, you may even find as the only device it 'just works' and you can then fiddle the device orders to get both mouse devices working.

I feel like I wrote all this clearer the first time, please let me know if this isn't clear. Hopefully it helps.
1. Problem solved! It was the same SD card for both configurations. I had the Pi overclocked and it seems that my power supply in the cabinet is not providing sufficient power (I had it turned up as high as 5.30 volts) and I was still getting the lightning bolt symbol. I put a line of code in config.txt to ignore warnings so the lightning bolt went away. I think what it was doing was the opposite of overclocking which was to throttle back performance due to power issues. This was perhaps evident in 172 and 192 because it was taxing the processor more than other versions of Mame. When it was in the cabinet, it was running off my switching power supply. When it was running as a standalone, it was plugged into the wall with the Pi AC adapter which supplied sufficient power and therefor wasn't throttling back the processor. This explains why it was working fine as a standalone outside of the cabinet and not good when inside cabinet. I received a new power supply from HSS and will install soon.

2. Since my USB trackball works fine in 172/192 I am not going to worry about getting it working in Admame (106) for now. Is there anything I'm missing? I'll try to see if it works in 078.

3. I went into the mame.ini file for both 172/192 and that multi mouse had a 1 instead of 0. It is not showing up as mouse 1 or Mouse 2. I have tried unplugging the USB trackball hoping that it would just grab Mouse 1 but still not working. I found a linux terminal command: cat /dev/input/mice and press enter. That allowed me to confirm that my usb trackball was working but my usb spinner was not. I suspect that I need a linux driver in order to get this USB spinner to work. Any ideas?
Check out this website. I found it helpful for spinners, trackballs, light guns, etc.
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... se-Devices

If I can't get this Griffin PowerMate USB to work, I was thinking about adding a TurbotTwist 2. Does anybody have experience with this device? It does connect via usb and can be mounted to the cabinet. Problem is, it will be my second usb device since my first one if the usb trackball. I just wanted to make sure someone has tried this and knows that it works as either a first or second usb device.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:58 am

ArPiUser wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 pm

1. Problem solved! It was the same SD card for both configurations. I had the Pi overclocked and it seems that my power supply in the cabinet is not providing sufficient power (I had it turned up as high as 5.30 volts) and I was still getting the lightning bolt symbol. I put a line of code in config.txt to ignore warnings so the lightning bolt went away. I think what it was doing was the opposite of overclocking which was to throttle back performance due to power issues. This was perhaps evident in 172 and 192 because it was taxing the processor more than other versions of Mame. When it was in the cabinet, it was running off my switching power supply. When it was running as a standalone, it was plugged into the wall with the Pi AC adapter which supplied sufficient power and therefor wasn't throttling back the processor. This explains why it was working fine as a standalone outside of the cabinet and not good when inside cabinet. I received a new power supply from HSS and will install soon.

2. Since my USB trackball works fine in 172/192 I am not going to worry about getting it working in Admame (106) for now. Is there anything I'm missing? I'll try to see if it works in 078.

3. I went into the mame.ini file for both 172/192 and that multi mouse had a 1 instead of 0. It is not showing up as mouse 1 or Mouse 2. I have tried unplugging the USB trackball hoping that it would just grab Mouse 1 but still not working. I found a linux terminal command: cat /dev/input/mice and press enter. That allowed me to confirm that my usb trackball was working but my usb spinner was not. I suspect that I need a linux driver in order to get this USB spinner to work. Any ideas?
Check out this website. I found it helpful for spinners, trackballs, light guns, etc.
https://github.com/RetroPie/RetroPie-Se ... se-Devices

If I can't get this Griffin PowerMate USB to work, I was thinking about adding a TurbotTwist 2. Does anybody have experience with this device? It does connect via usb and can be mounted to the cabinet. Problem is, it will be my second usb device since my first one if the usb trackball. I just wanted to make sure someone has tried this and knows that it works as either a first or second usb device.
1. interesting, you may find upgrading the fuse on the RaspberryJAMMA helps. As you have multiple USB devices going the current use will be higher than normal and the 1A fuse is probably a bottleneck. Due to the rising power requirements of the new Pis I've started fitting 2A fuses to the boards (may take a little while for existing 1A stocks to be depleted) although the 1A should be fine for most when you start using multiple USB devices it doesn't allow enough current across (for me 2x Dolphinbars + keyboard is the worst example I've seen - the 1A fuse has been fine for me running a trackball). You may find that unplugging the USB spinner helps (as it doesn't work anyway it won't hurt to try).

2. I wonder what the difference in setup may be, it should definitely be able to work in AdvMAME, which USB trackball are you using? By default 078 isn't setup for trackball, it can be done but Retroarch seems to only handle mice through UDEV and the hotkeys system through raw input which complicates things quite a lot - expect this to be sorted out in time.

3. multi-mouse 1 should work and may actually be needed for 2 different mice devices to work together (although it's possible either way will work - I'm still learning about MAME and mice). If your USB spinner doesn't work on Linux without installing a driver the device is not using the USB standard properly and will require a dedicated driver from the manufacturer (just checked, there's a Linux kernel module for this device: http://wirefall.dyndns.org/powermate.html - I assume but don't know for sure that you could get it going with this). Depending on your USB trackball interface it may be possible to use it for both trackball and spinner, the Opti-Wiz I have supports sharing axis between trackball and spinner. The TurboTwist should work under Linux (mouse/keyboard devices should 'just work' in Linux if they have used the USB standards as the Linux kernel has USB support built in) based on this: https://retropie.org.uk/forum/topic/283 ... r-retropie

segaman
Community Member
Community Member

Post by segaman » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:21 pm

segaman wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:42 am
Fragger666 wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Hello,

first of all this piece of hard- and software is awesome. Received my board two days ago an love it. I updated to the latest release and want to share the following issues i found so far:
• Super Nintendo - no sound and can't select anything in the menu with the 4 Buttons i have at the moment
• Playstation - display stretched (only 2/3 visible in 15khz)

Things i would like to know:
• wifi setup (example how a working screen would look like would be awesome)
• would a network cable also work instead of wifi?
• where to put the intro.mp4 in order to let it play at startup?
• will the audio issues ("warble-audio" in neo-geo etc.) fixed in the next update ("AUDIO SYNC" is set to "OFF" by default)?

I really appreciate the work and time you all invest to make this already awesome thing even better.
I am having the same problem with the PlayStation games and no sound on snes games, I can operate the snes games as my cab had 6 buttons.
Will these bugs be sorted in next update?

WiiKnee
Community Member
Community Member

Post by WiiKnee » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:19 pm

Loving my Arpicade so far - have installed one in both my vertical and horizontal cabs.

I'm learning a ton about the nuances of the hardware and different mame versions. I've installed a spinner on my vertical cab and a trackball on my horizontal. I feel like a kid in the early 80's at the arcade again :D

It has been a very, very long time since I have messed around with emulators and I have one big question about console emulation on the Arpicade (I've searched and searched and can't find an answer); I assume for NES games, 3.82 is using NEStopia. I can't for the life of me figure out how to get save/load states to work. I can bring up the menus with my attached keyboard but I must be doing something wrong or it just isn't possible to access save/load states with Arpicade. The emulator acts as if the ROMS are in a read only directory (my best guess, anyhow).

Any help to set me in the right direction would be awesome!!

Thanks!