HIGH SCORES are not saving

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

HIGH SCORES are not saving

Post by cool_factor » Mon Apr 30, 2018 12:51 pm

Playing Galaga (fast shoot), had an over 200,000 point high score, didnt save. Played another game, same thing. High scores are not being saved. Previous version of 3.72 saved them. Is there a setting I need to change??? Thanks.
Last edited by cool_factor on Tue May 01, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: HIGH SCORES are not saving

Post by dee2eR » Mon Apr 30, 2018 2:37 pm

Which emulator?

It should work the same as previously so I'll have to look into it.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 pm

ROMS are in folder .172. Another issue Ive noticed I forgot to mention is that when in any game from .172 if you enter emulator options the screen nearly freezes and sometimes you cant make out the menu. If you enter menu right at the finish of ROM loading the menu looks normal and is still slightly slow, but if your in that same game playing and wish to change something thats when it goes super slow and you cant make out the menu, its really dark colored. Games were Galaga, Mario, and Gorf. All play normal. As said use hotkeys to get to options menu and then things go south. Exit menu and all is well and games play normal again.Never experienced this with 3.72.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 01, 2018 1:55 am

cool_factor wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:12 pm
ROMS are in folder .172. Another issue Ive noticed I forgot to mention is that when in any game from .172 if you enter emulator options the screen nearly freezes and sometimes you cant make out the menu. If you enter menu right at the finish of ROM loading the menu looks normal and is still slightly slow, but if your in that same game playing and wish to change something thats when it goes super slow and you cant make out the menu, its really dark colored. Games were Galaga, Mario, and Gorf. All play normal. As said use hotkeys to get to options menu and then things go south. Exit menu and all is well and games play normal again.Never experienced this with 3.72.
This menu behaviour has always been like this in 172. It's game dependant. That said, Galaga produces a normal looking menu for me in 172 (at least in horizontal monitor settings, haven't checked if it changes in vertical). Most games the menu should be readable. You can improve the menu responsiveness due to the slowdown when the menu is up by pausing the game first, on processor intensive games the menu can be pretty laggy and hard to use otherwise.

Still looking into the high score thing. On games where I quickly and easily beat the high scores it's working... at least for me. I will play some Galaga & Mario Bros. now and see if it is different, maybe a corrupt hi score or nv ram file or something.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue May 01, 2018 2:06 am

Galaga high score saved fine for me. Not sure what to suggest. Are you exiting the game very quickly after setting the high score? I waited for the high score music to stop and exited and it saved fine.

You may want to try deleting the file /home/pi/mame172/hi/galaga.hi just in case it's the issue.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Tue May 01, 2018 10:36 am

I will try what's been suggested. HS always defaults to 20k and as long as I'm in game high score stays. If I exit and come back it's defaulted. I did find in the .172 mame.ini that auto save was a 0 should that be a 1? Ive left it 0 as in 3.72 version its a 0. (Ive got 2 sd cards)
Last edited by cool_factor on Tue May 01, 2018 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Tue May 01, 2018 12:24 pm

OK. I deleted the file and replaced it with my previous hiscore file and it displays that hiscore. Ill test later if itll save a new high. Ive discovered another issue and Im not sure how this happened. Playing Galaga or Galaga fast shoot if I push button 4 (have 6 buttons) it brings up what appears to be the slider controls (master volume dislays and joystick will go thru options that appear to be slider controls. Now Im not sure if thats normal but my 3yo grandson did somehow get into the options menu when playing Mario (wife told me). She exited menu and he continued to play. Im wondering if he (or my wife ) did actually change something... What should I look for or is there a way to reset all to default???

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon May 07, 2018 10:49 am

Had to reformat and start over, my 3yo grandson somehow got into settings (he got caught messing around with cabinet) and did who knows what. High scores are saving. Still having audio issues so don't reformat, it won't cure that issue.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Mon May 07, 2018 1:00 pm

Not sure why button 4 was bringing up an audio menu but if you want to make it a bit harder for a 3 year old to get into the menus you could disable the hotkeys for the menus. You can leave the ones you want, probably at least exit, maybe pause and coin too and remove the 2 that open menus.

To remove the menus edit /boot/hotkeys.ini with a good text editor (for Windows I recommend notepad++) and delete these 2 lines:
START+X1=key:KEY_TAB
and
START+WHITE=key:KEY_F1

you will still be able to enter the menus with a keyboard if you need to.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Mon May 07, 2018 11:04 pm

Thanks! If I do that can I use a wireless keyboard and just keep the keyboard off when not in use. I ask because Ive noticed leaving a keyboard attached makes it act strange.