Arpicade V3.83

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Arpicade V3.83

Post by cool_factor » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:35 pm

Putting this here so its found easier:

https://mega.nz/#!kxNyTaBL!9OEfqlFN2RJO ... KWTA1Ck5w0

Firmware updated (RPi3B+ WiFi now working) (new Pi3A+ now supported)
Linux kernel updated to 4.14.79
Support for 4 player adaptor now switchable from service menu
MAME 0.192 out and upgraded to MAME 0.203 (with high score support setup)
Attract-Mode updated to 2.5.1
Arcade and console rom scan scripts combined into 1 and moved to /boot/launchers (now with auto rotatable graphic output)
MAME 0.037 AKA MAME4All returns in the form of lr-MAME2000 libretrocore (mame-037 rom folder) (no hiscore support as far as I know)
Vertical low res autoconfigs should be improved from previous release (inc. auto rotate splash)
Reset all saved MAME high scores service menu option added
Changes to lr-pcsx-rearmed configs to work around it's lack of support for Retroarchs append config system
Supergrafx emulator added
MAME 172 menu should be more readable in resolutions where it wasn't before
update to the Daphne launcher to enable Dragon Lair and Space Ace "enhanced editions"
version info added to /boot/USER_GUIDE
user guide updated a bit
cabside 'service' button from the game select menu to get to the service menu (ie. it will quit first instance of Attract-Mode)

EDIT (by dee2er as I wanted this info in the first post with the link): it's been asked which Pi versions are supported, Pi2, Pi3, Pi3B+ and Pi3A+ are all supported. Some boot text will be visible on Pi2 for some reason... Pi1 variations and Pi Zero are not currently supported.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Arpicade V3.83

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:07 am

hahaha. Thanks. Was 2.30am when it finished uploading and I just wanted sleep. Was going to make this thread now... and here it is already.

First time anyone but me has 'released' the newest ARpiCADE. lol

EDIT: I thought I had the current version of MAME on there but I released on the same day MAME updated! Gotta be quicker next time...

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:47 am

Just saw that .204 dropped today as well. Looks like it's just mainly PC stuff. BTW is the splash screen working with this release?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:05 am

certainly should be, are you not seeing a splash? I didn't change the splash functionality, should be the same as previous releases.

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 am

Havent upgraded yet, thought I read somewhere that the splash screen and wifi wasnt working...

This is what I read from V3.82 (which I'm currently running and splash screen is working):
KNOWN BUGS

boot splash bug - If the network connection is set up but doesn't find the router the splash can be buggy (I think that's what caused it... maybe I'm wrong but it seemed to be fixed when I removed my old router info)

Pi2 only boot text bug - a little bit of Linux boot text is visible between splash and loading images on Pi2 (anyone still use a Pi2?)

WiFi not working on the new Pi3 B+ (works fine on Pi3, doesn't exist on Pi2)

Also, when V3.83 is uncompressed it says its beta? Is that correct?

"181128-ARpiCADE-3.83beta.img"

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:39 am

I'd forgotten that bug. It only seemed to happen if you had WiFi set up but the Pi couldn't reach your router. Never actually tested for it on this build... it originally happened to me when I changed out my router and the old routers details were still in WPA_supplicant. If 3.82 had a working splash for you then 3.83 should too.

Pi2 boot text bug is still there - to be honest I haven't bothered trying to chase it up, is anyone still using Pi2? I can look into this if there's demand.

WiFi is now working on all Pi3 variations. You just need to put in you router info from the service menu (or directly into the file).

'beta' is correct, I guess - I forgot to relabel it... although as I'm the only person who had tested it at all when I uploaded it is a bit beta. Don't let that put you off though, it works well enough and has been completely stable for me. 'What's in a name...'

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:10 am

So far so good...

...I was able to setup this 128GB card.

:)

How do I enable the enhanced versions of Dragons Lair?
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:03 am

Dragons lair and Space Ace enhanced use modified romsets with the regular framefiles (I think they basically access cut content like the bridge scene at the start of DL).
http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... ts/sae.asp
http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... /dle21.asp
http://www.dragons-lair-project.com/tec ... /dle11.asp

There's a DL2 version as well but it isn't free to download, I haven't tried it.

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:00 am

Newbie:

New to the whole Linux based systems etc. Where are the directions on installing or updating card I just got 3.82 to the newer 3.83?

Can we use a 128gb micro-sd card so the preview videos and games have plenty of room?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:59 am

You can't really update from 3.82 to 3.83 as it's a completely new image. If you haven't already back up your roms, previews and samples from your current build to your PC, then after you have installed the new version of ARpiCADE copy them back to it.

128 gig cards are working well for me, FrizzleFried posted some trouble he had with one though (I think it's solved now with the new release, no idea what change fixed it for him). Between these 2 guides you should have a pretty complete guide to the process of burning the image to SD card and then moving one partition and resizing the other to get the full use of your SD cards space. Whatever size you use, use a good quality SD card (or expect problems down the line).

Basic RaspberryPi SD card imaging guide here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ng-images/

This is the best Windows guide to resizing ARpiCADE for bigger SD cards (thanks to @FrizzleFried):
http://aha-forums.com/wp/2018/02/02/how ... ory-cards/