SSH/SHTP 3.83

Latest on ARpiCADE new releases, release notes, and history of previous versions.

Moderator: dee2eR

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

SSH/SHTP 3.83

Post by guntherm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:25 am

Okay, I am just no getting anywhere with this. I am wanting to ssh via Wi-fi to upload ROM's, Themes etc so I don't have turn cabinet on/off all the time.

facts:
1. I am on 3.83. All appears to be running just fine.
2. I have edited the "wpa_supplicant" file to add SSID and passphrase via the AdvMenu
3. Followed these instructions found on this board:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... sh/unix.md
4. I can use a Term window and type in the following "ssh pi@192.168.1.XX" password "raspberry"
5. Used this discussion as my basis and not getting anywhere: pi@raspberrypi:~ $ sudo -s
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=468

Item number 3, I can attempt to login into Pi but after typing the password, the terminal window goes blank. No cursor, no nothing. So it didn't fail by the password, just went blank.

Item 5 you can't follow the beginning because doesn't seem to be a way to get to the command prompt on 3.83?? I do however downloaded and install filezilla. Using the username "pi" and password "raspberry" It does log into the PI via Wi-fi, but everything is read only.

So i am a newb to Lunix, but to me this is just not making sense. If I can use filezilla and see the the folders and files in this app, but can't see anything via the command prompt??? According to item 5 link I need to edit files etc to gain root access to the pi to upload rom's and themes. Got that, but I am block with every attempt to get into the pi itself.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: SSH/SHTP 3.83

Post by dee2eR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:37 am

I don't do any of this so don't really know where to begin but when you say you get a blank screen instead of a terminal cursor did you try typing on it at all? ARpiCADE had the terminal cursor hidden until the run.sh script is finished - no idea if this is the issue it just popped into my head...

If so 'tput cnorm' should fix it... Otherwise ignore me I've been drinking...

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:15 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:37 am
I don't do any of this so don't really know where to begin but when you say you get a blank screen instead of a terminal cursor did you try typing on it at all? ARpiCADE had the terminal cursor hidden until the run.sh script is finished - no idea if this is the issue it just popped into my head...

If so 'tput cnorm' should fix it... Otherwise ignore me I've been drinking...
Yes, waited and waited.. tried typing and never see anything...

Any chance you can add exit to terminal in the AdvMenu? You have 22 items in.. how difficult to add option to drop to terminal??

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:47 pm

Not sure what you mean, you can exit the service menu with F4 on a keyboard by default. If you're using AdvMenu Esc should exit.

If I'm way off here let me know...

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:47 pm
Not sure what you mean, you can exit the service menu with F4 on a keyboard by default. If you're using AdvMenu Esc should exit.

If I'm way off here let me know...
On your stock setup sir, I try to change nothing. .lol When using a keyboard using esc exits Attract Mode. Which takes me to the Service Menu(I think that is what you call it), and can change resolution, reboot, shutdown.. From there you can't hit esc gain to exit to a terminal window. According to the write up it sounds like you should be able to get to the prompt/terminal window to do commands to allow all this.

Sorry if I am bother ya sir. I am just trying to utilize the 3B+ WiFi.. and think it's great to be able to change themes, rom's without shut everything down all the time.

Edit: Okay the process just wasn't in documents anywhere. You hit esc.. exit Attract-Mode, then you must hit F4 to exit that.. So I guess my question is why not add Exit to terminal in the Service menu same place as resolultion changes, reboot, rom scan etc...

guntherm
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by guntherm » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:40 pm

okay. Thank you so much dee2eR.. the clue of using F4 is what got me to next step.

I have root access via FileZilla now.. and have complete access via my terminal window on my Linux Box...

I am just a pain sometimes.. Hahahaha

jmaton
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jmaton » Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:45 pm

guntherm wrote:
Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:25 am
I can attempt to login into Pi but after typing the password, the terminal window goes blank. No cursor, no nothing. So it didn't fail by the password, just went blank.
Hello from 2024.

Anyone else who hits this problem, try CTRL+C in your connected SSH session. This will will kill the newly launched attract menu and give you a prompt.