Pi4 update

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Pi4 update

Post by dee2eR » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:42 am

I figure a lot of people are curious about how Pi4 support is coming along so here's an update: it's pretty good, for the most part - sorry it's taking so long. I'm putting some polish on whats there so far and may actually have a release out soon. It will not be as good as ARpiCADE 3.9 for use on older Pis (ARpiCADE 4.0 will really just be for Pi4 use, at least to begin with), lots of things have changed and there's still issues with some software on Pi4 that make 4.0 a bit different (particularly Attract-Mode is missing at the moment).

At the moment the frontend is Emulation Station, which is the same frontend used by RetroPie and Recalbox. I would prefer Attract-Mode but it is what it is for now...

Unfortunately my favourite version of MAME for RPi3 (0.172) also won't work on Pi4. I haven't been able to get any standalone version of MAME to run on Pi4 (except AdvMAME, but it also has issues compared to Pi3 as we cannot use the modified low res dispmanx version of SDL1.2 with Pi4 or the Pi4 frame buffer directly).

On the plus side I have included more versions of libretro MAME so there's versions of MAME 0.078 (lr-mame2003-plus), MAME 0.139 (lr-mame2010), MAME 0.174 (lr-mame2016), MAME 0.215 (lr-mame - fairly current version of MAME).

There's some support for Naomi and Atomiswave games via a Dreamcast emulator (lr-flycast). Not everything works that I've tried but some stuff is running pretty good. Of the games that have ran for me only Trigger Heart Excelsior had major issues, could be a rom issue - I'm not sure...

I haven't got Daphne working (yet), it is supposed to work on Pi4 though so it should be possible...

I haven't fixed up the launchers for console stuff yet, been concentrating on arcade games.

I also haven't made any sort of service menu yet, or tested on a vertical monitor. The first ARpiCADE 4.0 release will be a lot less refined than the last few versions of ARpiCADE 3.x. Some boot up text is visible (not much), there's no loading images at the moment and also I have no way to know the long term stability yet (I haven't had any corruption issues so far though).

I could release a version now that will only really work with the default low res horizontal setup (without manual fiddling with settings etc.) if there's interest in a very beta release.

hulkk03
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Re: Pi4 update

Post by hulkk03 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 3:50 am

That's great news!

What's a perfect name for Arpicade 4.0 on PI4! After reading this thread, I now change my mind because originally I was going to add PC for my Hanaho showcase 33' cabinet. I decide to just go for PI4, even if is early beta. Everything take time to get thing done and I don't mind there lot's of missing consents compare to the last Arpicade version.

Yea, arcade emulators always come first before console emulator. Which that, I can agree. I am looking forward playing Naomi, Atomiswave, and hopefully finally get to play killer instinct smoothly on MAME.

Take your time and no need to be rush. I don't mind to try out beta. Once the beta came out, I will be glady to buy another ARpicade and finally try out PI4 with 4GB of ram. I'm very exciting and can't wait!

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by FrizzleFried » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:45 pm

Woohoo... Maybe it's time for me to pick up a Pi4?

Attract-Mode is a MUST (eventually of course)...

Obviously we'll all have to come up with new ROM sets it seems.

Lots of work... but isn't that half the fun?

:)

If I already owned a Pi4 I'd ask for the ALPHA release... but since I don't... no big deal.

I'm happy to do some testing for you though if you need/want me to... PM me if you have interest.

I'd just need to get that Pi4. Might be a good time to pick up another ARpiCADE...so I could just leave my Pi3's alone?

Hmmm...
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)

EstenzE
Community Member
Community Member

Post by EstenzE » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:57 pm

I have a 4GB Pi4 and an extra RaspberryJamma if you need any testers.

tonyperkwx
Community Member
Community Member

Post by tonyperkwx » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:53 pm

Just a note on Daphne, I have it running on the Pi 3B+, via RetroPi. Speed is fine.