Does the Arpicade support Light Guns?

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

dfmassi
Community Member
Community Member

Does the Arpicade support Light Guns?

Post by dfmassi » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:10 pm

I found an old thread, but is there any official word - does Arpicade support light guns? (Aimtrak guns or Dolphin Bar?)

I'll dig deeper but wanted to post this question prior to spending some $$ to test.

Thanks

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Does the Arpicade support Light Guns?

Post by dee2eR » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:54 am

Both Aimtraks and Dolphin bars work. Not sure I recommend either though as the sensor bar style stuff isn't as good as real lightguns. Aimtraks are a bit better than Dolphin bars & Wii-motes but Aimtraks cost heaps more (and one of my Aimtraks has an annoyingly squeeky flexy plastic shell that is honestly a bit crap for the price...).

2x Wii-mote guns requires 2x Dolphinbars, although only one needs to be mounted visibly (the other is used as a second receiver only). 2x Aimtraks will work on one sensor bar although the sensors come with them so less of a big deal.

Using Wii-motes you will definitely want to keep the on screen cursor, it is possible to play without it with Aimtraks but it can be tricky keeping Aimtraks accurate (don't move AT ALL from where you calibrate and it is mostly OK).

Finally not all emulators on ARpiCADE support mice (essentially "lightguns", trackballs, spinners, other analog controls etc. are treated as a mouse). The standalone versions of MAME do, I haven't had luck with RetroArch although it is supposed to be able to work...

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Does the Arpicade support Light Guns?

Post by dee2eR » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:44 am

As this thread got necro bumped by a spambot anyway... here's an update:

Sinden guns also work but require a bit of setup for the software driver and white borders, I've only used them on Pi4 so can't comment regarding Sindens on Pi3.

DIY guns like Samco and Gun4IR also work fine.

Also Aimtraks work quite well provided you use them from where they are calibrated, having dusted them off again I enjoy them more now than a year ago.

Oh and I figured out why I didn't have much luck with RA previously, RA emulators that support lightguns work fine for 1 player and will soon support 2 guns.