Audio help

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

Kev_S
Community Member
Community Member

Audio help

Post by Kev_S » Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:27 am

Hi all,
now I have arpicade working nicely, after figuring out 3.7 was a little too old and struggles getting wifi working.

Sorry about the asinine questions. I bought a gutted arcade cabinet and I'm trying to restore it to its former glory. It even has the coin mechs. Sadly the cables were cut between the coin mechs and the counters, and to the rest of the cab. The coin box is missing as well. just an example of how comprehensively they gutted this box.
My question is from the JAMMA wiring loom how do I set up the speakers? do I need to buy an amp to power the speakers?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Audio help

Post by dee2eR » Sun Aug 09, 2020 2:06 pm

The RaspberryJAMMA has a mono amp. It's pretty easy to wire one speaker up to JAMMA, it's just directly wired to the JAMMA edge. The + terminal of the speaker goes to pin 10 of the JAMMA connector, the - of the speaker goes to pin L of the JAMMA connector ( see pic: https://cdn.instructables.com/FKL/K4IY/ ... MEDIUM.jpg )

If you want stereo sound you would need to add a stereo amp. JAMMA only covered mono. If you go this route use the audio output of the DAC into the stereo amp instead of into the RaspberryJAMMA. If you are using a stereo amp you won't really need JAMMA 12v for the RaspberryJAMMA as it's only used by the audio section... no need to disconnect it if you have it though.

Kev_S
Community Member
Community Member

Post by Kev_S » Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:36 am

thank you! I have finally put my arcade back together. I have all the basics working nicely.

I have to do some research on the mechs and the counters attached to them. I would like to get the unit working as intended. I will be buying two more arpicades.

Huntooke94
Observer
Observer

Post by Huntooke94 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 11:56 am

It should be clear audio sound to work properly with devices

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:45 am

Kev_S wrote:
Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:36 am
thank you! I have finally put my arcade back together. I have all the basics working nicely.

I have to do some research on the mechs and the counters attached to them. I would like to get the unit working as intended. I will be buying two more arpicades.
Your coin mechs should be able to work but RaspberryJAMMA doesn't have anything wired to the coin counter locations on the JAMMA edge (or the lockout coils that I'm not sure I've ever seen used... or -5v). Won't hurt to have them wired up in the JAMMA harness if you have them though, but coins won't be counted.