Image truncated in vertical aspect

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Image truncated in vertical aspect

Post by triggerhappy » Mon Sep 28, 2020 9:52 pm

I installed my new ARpiCADE over the weekend to replace my old ArcadeSD PCB, and I'm just beginning to test out some of the games on it. My cabinet has a 20" LCD display in vertical aspect, so I'm limited to those titles which run in vertical mode.

One game I was excited to see in my catalog is Gain Ground by Sega. I don't recall if that game was designed to run in vertical mode originally, but I decided to give it a try since it appears on my list. Unfortunately, when I launch that game, a considerable portion of the image on the right side of the screen is truncated, and I'm not sure how (or if) this can be corrected.

I've already used the crosshatch test pattern to adjust the video to fit my display, so it does not appear to be a monitor adjustment issue. In fact, when I tried shifting the image to the left using the monitor's position setting, it did not make any more of image visible; rather, it simply increased the margin on the right side.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to adjust this game to fit my display's (3:4) vertical aspect?

This is not a problem on the handful of other games I've tested so far, which by no means span the entire catalog. However, if this is happening in one instance, I'm guessing it may affect other games I haven't tried yet. So if I know how to fix the display aspect in this case, I'm hopeful I can apply the same technique to any other games I run across exhibiting similar behavior.

Thanks!

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Image truncated in vertical aspect

Post by dee2eR » Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:13 am

Hard to say what's going on there. What emulator are you running Gain Ground in? I can check it out if I know what to look at.

triggerhappy
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by triggerhappy » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:38 am

Thanks, dee2eR, but I think I just figured it out...

I was able to hit Tab from inside the game to bring up the AdvanceMAME menu. I then selected Video and set Mode to 'auto'. That successfully resized the screen to fit my display. So looks like I'm good to go with Gain Ground!

danivillso
Observer
Observer

Post by danivillso » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:48 pm

Hello, I'm new in the forum and I have the same problem as this dude. There's a way to fix it? :?:

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:27 am

Did you try @triggerhappy s suggestion?