Driving games machine

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

Infinite1977
Observer
Observer

Driving games machine

Post by Infinite1977 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:46 am

Hey guys, not sure if this is the best place to ask. If not you can remove the topic.
I have a cruisn usa cab and want to turn it into a driving games machine. I remembered that I have a RPI3. If I buy the adaptor, this should mean that I can run my machine using the RPI3 correct? Including the screen?
This would be a far easier option than getting a pc into it.
Lastly does anyone know of the steering controls from the original machine would work?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Driving games machine

Post by dee2eR » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:13 am

I'm discussing this with you via email but for anyone else curious...

Driving cabs are usually only partly JAMMA (if JAMMA at all) as the inputs tend to be analog. RaspberryJAMMA would work for the video and audio and power but not the analog inputs. I know at least one person has used a RaspberryJAMMA and a USB spinner board (may have been Opti-Wiz, could have been more than 1 converter as it's 3 player, I can't rememebr offhand) to multi their Atari Badlands cab.

For a more advanced driving cab with force feedback, eg. Cruisin USA, you would be better off with a PC and Windows. As far as I know the only way to interface most force feedback steering wheels with computers is with Windows (there maybe some support for Logitech FF in the Linux kernel - I think I remember reading that - my Fanatec gear definately had no feedback under Linux last I checked).

FrizzleFried
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Re: Driving games machine

Post by FrizzleFried » Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:41 am

I can confirm that non-force feedback "360" degree free-spinning wheel type games can be emulated without issue using a digital spinner interface (think Pole Position... think Super Offroad, etc)...

I also know there is currently a project to emulate Outrun/Turbo Outrun, etc (which uses a 270 degree wheel... still non-forcefeedback) with a Pi4 over at UKVAC.
Visit my arcade blog ... www.idahogaragecade.com (Updated: 10/28/21)