Kick harness pinout.

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Re: Kick harness pinout.

Post by mR_CaESaR » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:04 am

Yeah I figured it out eventually.

I think the confusion occurs with the dip switches

Says 1 & 2 should be off with 3 & 4 on for 6 button jamma, but it should be 1 & 2 on, 3 & 4 off.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:43 pm

I guess I should make a note to use the normal JAMMA settings when using a kick harness. It would be much clearer. Thanks for the feedback.

In case you're curious the 6 buttons on JAMMA setting has all 6 buttons on the JAMMA edge and doesn't use a kickharness. Sometimes this is referred to as JAMMA+, it's becoming common on newer and modified cabs due to many multiboards using it. The pins used for B6 in this config are grounds in normal JAMMA mode, hence the issues you had.

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:00 pm

dee2eR wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:04 pm
wboy wrote:
Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:39 pm

Testing it with games I noticed button 4 & 5 (both players) only register a button press if I hold down 6 at the same time. 6 alone registers nothing.
It could be a trick of the shadow but looks like your RaspberryJAMMA dipswitch settings are wrong. You will want 1 & 2 on and 3 & 4 off for JAMMA (with kick harness), looks like currently you have it configured as 6 buttons on JAMMA with ground connected to b6.

I love the recycled kick harness header.

Hmmm... ok... thought I tried that... Dip 1, 2, up, 3, 4 down, left, right, left, right, B, A, Start and only had the button 1, 2, 3 working (IIRC). Will try again. Yes photo is 1,2 down, 3,4 up! :?

The two black wires on the Tekken harness are both ground, the only two not present/contacting on those exchangeable green connector I use for the RaspberryJAMMA... so I just assumed that may of been the issue.

Only recycled the PC headers as a convenience... don't really have the tools, confidence or knowledge to crimp, strip and solder! :P

UPDATE: Dips 1&2 up, 3&4 down - works the same way as in holding 6 allows 4 & 5 button presses to register. Re-checked wiring... all seems right... :?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Feb 18, 2018 1:31 am

OK that's odd. It's hard to tell from the photos you posted on page 1 but do you have the B6s wired to ground on your screw terminals?

EDIT: as B6 isn't wired on your NAMCO header is B6 at the panel end wired up to the back of the screw terminals?

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:40 pm

I'll check after later tonight. Pretty sure all the colors match up as they should (it does look backwards in the photo as its order is GND, GND, P1-1, 2, 3, P2-1, 2 ,3)

Wiring noob question, but am I able to add a couple wires and just ground them any ware the cab, or does it need to be to the RaspberryJAMMA?

Thanks.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:31 am

All JAMMA grounds are usually the same and any will do, I'm a bit hesitant to give wiring advice in case I'm mis-understood and something goes wrong... I would avoid wiring to just any random wiring you think may be ground just in case, you could be wrong or (especially in this hobby) a former owner could have done something unexpected to the wiring (you can't always go by the colours - I've seem some rediculously stupid re-wiring before...).

If you're adding a button for instance you can link it's ground to the other buttons grounds rather than wire all the way back to the JAMMA edge.

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:00 am

hey @wboy do you have a multimeter to check for continuity?

The way you're explaining it, it seems like button 6 activates as your GND when pressed therefore completing the circuit for your buttons 4 and 5.

I personally would've like to have had an extra pin in the headers so I could wire the kick harness as per CPS1/CPS2 standard ie. 2 grounds are wired from the harness. Since the harness on the Sega Cabs (astro/blast/net) are all are pass through for the kick harness ie. they're not connected to anything. So having a ground come through would have been much easier than piggy backing from an existing ground on the buttons on the CP - this way all three harnesses can come off independently.

Like what @dee2eR has mentioned, you're best not to add additional wires unless you know exactly which point you are soldering to, and if you don't have a multimeter to check, it'd make it very hard to find the correct GND point.

Let's go back to what the original task is: what do you require for your Astro City? I'm more than happy to help out once I know exactly what you require.

My recommendation is to use two different harnesses. One for your tekken PCB and one for your RaspberryJamma.

wboy
Contributing Member
Contributing Member

Post by wboy » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:03 am

Thanks for the replies dee2eR & Mr_CaESaR. Much appreciated.

Cabinet was purchased from and arcade retailer (second hand import from japan) and prepared solely for the Tekken Tag PCB back in the day.

Similar to CPS1/2 it too has it's own kick harness (seen in my earlier photos). For I time I also had a J-PAC interface it with effectively it's own kick hardness that easily allowed me to swap between the two. Only difference was I could use the 2 addition GNDs on the J-PAC.

Will get some better pictures soon. May make a bit more sense.

No multimeter either. No rush.... it'll be worked out soon enough one way or another! :D
Attachments
JPAC-GND-20180209.jpg
JPAC-GND-20180209.jpg (150.05 KiB) Viewed 7113 times

MV8800
Community Member
Community Member

Post by MV8800 » Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm

Super N00b here: Do I need to make my own Kick harness?
I'm getting a CPS2 kick harness soon however the header connection is totally different and I do intend to use it with my CPS2.
I don't have any crimping tools or good wire to make one. Is there anywhere I can buy one?
BTW, my cab doesn't have one of those I/O boards.. It's just JAMMA with those .187 quick release heads.
Thanks

mR_CaESaR
Super Contributor
Super Contributor

Post by mR_CaESaR » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:49 pm

MV8800 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 8:17 pm
Super N00b here: Do I need to make my own Kick harness?
I'm getting a CPS2 kick harness soon however the header connection is totally different and I do intend to use it with my CPS2.
I don't have any crimping tools or good wire to make one. Is there anywhere I can buy one?
BTW, my cab doesn't have one of those I/O boards.. It's just JAMMA with those .187 quick release heads.
Thanks
Unfortunately yes. You will also need to piggy back your ground wire from existing buttons to buttons P1 B4/5/6 and P2 B4/5/6 as there is no ground pin coming from the header.

You can get cheap crimping tools from any hardware store.

Surely you have some cat 5 cables around? They make great wire for control panels :)