Servostik Joystick

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Servostik Joystick

Post by cool_factor » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:25 pm

From KLOV forum, is this possible with the Arpicade like he did with the ArcadeSD?

A couple of people asked me to write up how I got my ServoStik to work with the auto 4way/8way switching on the ArcadeSD.

1. A relay is required. I bought a Radio Shack 275-240. http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062480
2. Go into the set up menu of the ArcadeSD. Under the menu item Cabinet Settings - CoinMeter: Change to joystick 4-8 way select
Connect the ServoStick to a PC running Windows using the USB cable supplied with the ServoStick.
3. Download the ServoStick application from http://www.ultimarc.com/JoyTraySetup.exe
4. Run ServoStick.exe. Chose the option Change To Hardware Mode. (WARNING: This step is not reversible. You will not be able to later use the board with MAME)
5. Clip off the end of the USB cable that you would normally plug in the PC port. Strip off the green, white, and black wires inside the USB cable
6. You will note that there are five pins on the Radio Shack relay. (See this diagram created by Clay http://forums.arcade-museum.com/atta...2&d=1351548855) The green, white, and black wires mentioned in his diagram are the ones contained in the USB cable that you stripped in step 5. The red wire shown needs is a 5 volt power source. I tapped into the power supply that powers the ArcadeSD. The "Coin Count" shown is to be connected to "J" on your Jamma Harness. The location of this is shown in the ArcadeSD manual. It is to the right of the key if you are looking at the solder side of the ArcadeSD. Note: My harness did not have a wire at J. I added one. I made all of the wire connections to the Radio Shack Relay by soldering.
7. Assemble the ServoStik as shown here http://www.ultimarc.com/servostik.html. The black wire shown needs to be connected to ground on your power supply and the red wire to 5V.
8. Mount the ServoStik in your control panel and plug the USB cable into the ServoStik board.
9. Start your machine and select an 8 way game to confirm that the ServoStick is working correctly. Next select a 4 way game to confirm that it moves back to 4 way.

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: Servostik Joystick

Post by dee2eR » Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:28 am

Something similar should be possible but I would think you will want to use the Servosticks USB control board into the RPi (RaspberryJAMMA has no coin meter support as of v3, it's possible it will be added to a future revision but no promises).

Unless it's supported directly by the emulators (advmame might support it, not certain) you would also need to set up the scripting to activate the restrictor, modifying the existing game launching scripts should be enough I would think (but don't know for certain).

ant
Community Member
Community Member

Post by ant » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:54 am

sorry to dig up an old thread, just wondering if im correct in saying that no change has occurred since this post i.e. the Arpicade/raspjamma does not support coin meter functionality for games e.g. street fighter 2

cool_factor
Legendary Contributor
Legendary Contributor

Post by cool_factor » Sat Nov 14, 2020 5:08 am

I was just thinking about this again. My thought and I'm hoping if wrong Ill be corrected is this. If the servo stick is in 4 way mode for any 4 way game loaded and then you exit said game and return to attract menu then pick an 8 way game couldn't you just wire the servo stick to the coin/credit button so when you add coins/credits it switches to 8 way? My understanding of the way the wiring is that the only thing would happen it that the servo stick would already be in 8 way and just making the motor try and put it in a mode its already in? Then if you go back to menu and load a 4 way and coin up it'll go to 4 way? I'm sure the relay would still be in play.