NeoGeo cabinet

General chit-chat about what's hot and not in the land of emulated video games.

Moderator: dee2eR

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

NeoGeo cabinet

Post by jehuie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:47 am

Hello all,

New here but curious what the best hardware setup would be to run most of the NeoGeo games. I have a NeoGeo cabinet that has a multi-cart but the cart is a bit flaky and missing some good titles so this seems to be a good option. Also, what do you thing for this Pi 3b? or 4?

Thanks for any tips!

John

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Re: NeoGeo cabinet

Post by dee2eR » Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:03 am

Pi3 or 4 will run most NEOGEO titles (no the newer NGDev Team games as they're not emulated by MAME). Pi4 would be a slightly better choice than Pi3 as you can run all NEOGEO stuff in MAME 0.172 on Pi4 and need to use FBA and AdvMAME for NEOGEO on earlier model Pis.

If your cab is wired MVS style (with stereo sound) you would need to either adjust the audio wiring to mono JAMMA standard or use an adaptor like JNXs Big Red (MVS cab to JAMMA gameboard adaptor) to use RaspberryJAMMA or other JAMMA boards.

Another option would be the Darksoft MVS flash cart that can run all the games, they're not cheap but are a better solution to the fairly average, cheaper MVS multi 'banana' cart (161in1).

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jehuie » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:02 pm

Thank you. That is very helpful. I'd prefer the Raspberry Pi option since I can have the option of throwing all kinds of other games in there if I feel like it too. I'm used to building Mame machines but getting pretty rusty as it's been a while. So this is all new to me with the Pi stuff. Is a single kick harness enough to handle all the buttons on NeoGeo?

dee2eR
Inventor
Inventor

Post by dee2eR » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:50 am

You won't need a kick harness for NEO GEO amounts of buttons. They're all wiried to the JAMMA edge, including NEOGEO 'select' (AKA button 5)

jehuie
Community Member
Community Member

Post by jehuie » Wed Dec 28, 2022 2:39 am

Now that I've solved the squealing issue...man this thing is nice.

I installed all the NeoGeo games. It takes a little longer to load them than the original multi-cart but it's very reasonable. And so far they all seem to play great. With a MUCH better selection of games. I will whittle out many of the fighters since I'm not really into those.

Thank you guys. This is cool!

Now to figure out how to install the special Neo Geo theme that Frizz put together....